Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 10:13:20 AM EDT
The standard lever is just a tad too short, tempted to install the DSA extended lever. How are they? I know most things DSA FAL related these days are hit or miss. I just don't want to waste money on junk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of their extended levers that did not work properly in one of my metric FALs
a long time ago. If I remember correctly.

If your FAL is a DSA with DSA fire control parts then you might be OK.

However, if your FAL has mostly OEM parts I'd avoid adding any out of spec DSA parts to it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's what I figured, bummer, I'll have to learn to live with what I have.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The dimensions were a bit off in terms of fit. It made a groove on the inside of a hiduminium lower of mine. Slightly off-centre in my IMBEL lower but functions fine.

If I were to do another extended lever I'd have an Inch one modified. The extended selector is worth it. Major ergonomic improvement. Selector is easier to use than an AR selector.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dimensions were a bit off in terms of fit. It made a groove on the inside of a hiduminium lower of mine. Slightly off-centre in my IMBEL lower but functions fine.

If I were to do another extended lever I'd have an Inch one modified. The extended selector is worth it. Major ergonomic improvement. Selector is easier to use than an AR selector.
View Quote
How much of a PIA is it to mod an inch selector?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Changing the handgrip from OEM unit to one less canted towards the rear might allow better access to any selector, as well as possibly stowage within the grip for useful items.  I was never a big fan of the "Extended" selector lever, as the (outward) extension makes it possible for the lever to be unintentionally moved through contact with field gear and such.  Sometimes, a reasonably low profile is better, but YMMV.

FWIW, I constructed my own Ambi selector using two StG58A selectors, and with the inclusion of the SAW grip, both levers are easily accessible to my Med/Large hands.  Posted about this long ago here, and on FALFiles. IIRC, there was no Ambi selector available at the time.  IIRC, on my version, it was necessary to slightly modify the right side of the SAW grip in order to allow full movement of the right-side selector lever.  Trivial modification.

I did the same for an Ambi mag release.  In that instance, I used a Brit mag release/mag release screw, and silver-soldered a serrated pad onto the right side of the exposed lever mechanism.  Simple, and it works.  Again, nothing was available at the time, and details were posted here, and on FALFiles long ago.

In both instances, the current offerings from DSA are much less costly than the custom units I had made, long ago, and I suggest considering them.

Looking at current offerings of DSA Ambi Selector lever, and Ambi mag latch, I am struck by how similar they are to the home-made designs whose detailed descriptions I posted on the web, prior to DSA's offering such items. For the record, I am NOT saying they copied my ideas.

One thing I'd like to add.  I bought a DSA StG58A with OEM trigger group parts in superb condition.  I was never happy with the trigger, for various reasons, so I bought the appropriate kit for my particular FAL from these people: https://www.falconarms.com/spring-kits/fn-fal.html, and the change in the trigger feel was simply amazing.  Possibly the best single upgrade to my FAL.  Lightened the trigger to a reasonable level, but not too light.  I did do a little light "smoothing-out" of side surfaces on the trigger group components that seemed to be rubbing on the trigger housing, and I did change to an aluminum lower, which also is a very good upgrade, IMHO.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.
View Quote
That ambi selector of yours sounds pretty good. If someone decent put out an ambi, I'd be all over it.

My rifle is an IMBEL MD1 Para clone by ARS. I thought about a different grip, but wanted to stick with the traditional "look" and "feel". I may order an Ergo FAL grip to see if it does the trick, even though I prefer the standard FAL grip.

I actually have that same spring kit in my rifle as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The selector arm of the typical Inch selector has an extension on the opposite end that hits the receiver when you try to rotate it to the auto position.  A metric semi-only selector uses the stop pin and a little beak-like extension instead, with the beak hitting the pin.  The extended part of the Inch one has to travel where the stop pin is and thus doesn't work with it.

You have to reshape that portion by cutting away at it such that this is no longer an issue.  Typically, it is cut so that the area around the rivet is shaped the same as either a standard metric selector or one with the beak (the DSA one is made like the latter).  The other option is to eliminate the stop pin.

Another option is to get an L2 or C2 selector (Inch automatic selector), which poses no compatibility issues, but it's gonna cost you, that's for sure.  Might take a bit of time to hunt one down, too.

The next build I do I'm going to go one of these two routes, whichever one is the cheapest and easiest at the time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That ambi selector of yours sounds pretty good. If someone decent put out an ambi, I'd be all over it.

My rifle is an IMBEL MD1 Para clone by ARS. I thought about a different grip, but wanted to stick with the traditional "look" and "feel". I may order an Ergo FAL grip to see if it does the trick, even though I prefer the standard FAL grip.

I actually have that same spring kit in my rifle as well.
View Quote
I have a SAW grip on mine, and it definitely makes a standard selector easier to use, but the extended selector is still a big improvement over it.  Never had much of an issue with gear catching on it and rotating it.  The ergonomic benefits greatly outweighed any other consideration.  For a practical FAL, I doubt that I'd go any other route, although I've always been curious what a Type D selector (like what Israeli and Luxembourg FALs have) feels like.

The SAW grip makes holding the rifle more comfortable, IMO.  It places less strain on the hand.  The swept-back plastic grips were made with that angle to reduce stress on the wrist when launching rifle grenades.  The original wooden grips weren't swept back as much.  The prototype ones were even closer to vertical, IIRC. I've tried the ergo grip, but like the SAW grip better.  Plus it has storage, although if you were to eliminate the trapdoor you could probably still use the FAL pistol grip cleaning kit.

Another grip option is the Israeli-made modern grip that out right now (I forget who makes it).

If you retain the original grip, again, the extended selector will still be a major ergonomic improvement.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I've modified 2 L1A1 selectors with a Dremel, if you go slow it can be done with a nice finished product. I did Ceramacoat mine after all the filing and smoothing. I remember somewhere they were selling modified ones but the price was stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one and had to reduce the diameter of the beaked part to clear the FA stop pin.   I liked it until I shot the rifle in a match where it was required to shoot left handed.   My trigger finger kept bumping the lever up slightly when I fired, giving me a dead trigger and it wasn't apparent at first what was wrong.   Before that happened, I liked it well enough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I glued a rubber cap on my FAL selectors and it makes them easier to manipulate. I don't remember what the caps were for, they were from something I had around the house. They flare out a bit making the selector stick out farther and a bit wider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top