Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2018 10:49:12 PM EDT
If a surpessor gets a bad baffle strike and becomes destroyed and I throw it away.   Do I need to report it being destroyed?  If 10 years in the future they are banned and they come asking for it, How would I prove i am not stashing it somewhere and pretending it's destroyed?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Seriously Clark?????
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What if you got a Form 1 approved and never built it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If a surpessor gets a bad baffle strike and becomes destroyed and I throw it away.   Do I need to report it being destroyed?  If 10 years in the future they are banned and they come asking for it, How would I prove i am not stashing it somewhere and pretending it's destroyed?
View Quote
"Throwing it away" is ill advised without documneting it's destruction and notifying ATF to remove it from the registry.

Your idea of a bad baffle strike, vs. ATF's idea of destroyed and no longer NFA could be at odds.  Either way, safest is to document, photograph, and have removed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#4]
ATF has already read your post and wants to talk to you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Just write them a letter stating it has been destroyed and please remove from registry. They NOW will mail you back a letter stating it’s removed. Save both, nothing by law is required than that.

Now I would bandsaw them or hit with a grinder/dremel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it able to be repaired?  Perhaps re-bored to a large caliber size?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it able to be repaired?  Perhaps re-bored to a large caliber size?
View Quote
Converting/boring to a larger caliber constitutes making a new suppressor -and a new $200 form 1.

"There is no reason; it's just our policy"  -unknown
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Planning your next boating accident, OP?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
RIP Puppers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A letter saying you destroyed it won't do much of anything without proof.  
View Quote
Actually a letter (with details) is exactly what they as for.

479.141 Stolen or lost firearms.
Whenever any registered firearm is stolen or lost, the person losing possession thereof will, immediately upon discovery of such theft or loss, make a report to the Director showing the following:

(a) Name and address of the person in whose name the firearm is registered, (b) kind of firearm, (c) serial number, (d) model, (e) caliber, (f) manufacturer of the firearm, (g) date and place of theft or loss, and (h) complete statement of facts and circumstances surrounding such theft or loss.

Unless you like inviting the man into your life, it is easier IMO to keep then throw it away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top