Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 12:30:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Man between the sales at Bushmaster and no news from Shot, I'm wondering what long term support for the ACR is going to look like. I was optimistic that we'd see cool shit but even their shop remains down at this time
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reiko:
Man between the sales at Bushmaster and no news from Shot, I'm wondering what long term support for the ACR is going to look like. I was optimistic that we'd see cool shit but even their shop remains down at this time
View Quote
That’s what I’m worried about as well.  I love the rifle, so I hope (against reason) that it’s just them gettin past their break even on the molds and tooling, allowing them to maintain margins without going out of business.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was also hoping that with guns like iwi caramel, hk 433, b&t apc223, and the Bren 2, that the ACR would function as the de facto template. Meaning ACR stocks, fore ends, etc could be the baseline that other companies build compatibility around.  Wishful thinking, I know.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Came here to post this!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Great deal. Appreciate it, OP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcordell] [#6]
Makes sense with the rumors of Remington shutting down both Bushmaster and DPMS. Remington no longer shows Bushmaster or DPMS as a brand on their website.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mcordell:
Makes sense with the rumors of Remington shutting down both Bushmaster and DPMS. Remington no longer shows Bushmaster or DPMS as a brand on their website.
View Quote
both websites have been pulled and scrubbed from Remington's sites. I'd say its more than a rumor. its looking like a done deal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Remington wants to focus on their core brands    Remington, Marlin, Barnes, and AAC are their main focus right now.  The Acr isn’t dead, it’s just on the back burner.   They said if someone wanted a large run of them, they would do it.  The issue is not many people want 250-500 Acr’s.  (Well I do but still)
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
Remington wants to focus on their core brands    Remington, Marlin, Barnes, and AAC are their main focus right now.  The Acr isn’t dead, it’s just on the back burner.   They said if someone wanted a large run of them, they would do it.  The issue is not many people want 250-500 Acr’s.  (Well I do but still)
View Quote
Sounds like a group buy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if a company like PSA, Atlantic, Buds, or Brownells would make purchases of ACR’s in appropriate quantity to keep the platform and tooling running.  Hell at this point, with IWI tooling up domestically, I’d be down for IWI to buy the rights to the gun so they can call it the Masada again with a straight face
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rdb2403:

Sounds like a group buy!
View Quote
Trust me, I’m working on it lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Trust me, I’m working on it lol
View Quote
There's been no ARFCOM Special Edition Black Brown Rifles (SEBR) for years.... maybe we need them to do a run of Remington ACRs for the site.  Like a batch of IC-spec ones with perm-attach 51Ts on 14.5" barrels.  That'd be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

There's been no ARFCOM Special Edition Black Brown Rifles (SEBR) for years.... maybe we need them to do a run of Remington ACRs for the site.  Like a batch of IC-spec ones with perm-attach 51Ts on 14.5" barrels.  That'd be pretty awesome.
View Quote
Bruh, if they included the lighter/collapsing only stock, magnesium lower, and conventional barrel nut I would buy a special edition Coyote Remington ACR in a heart beat
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:

Bruh, if they included the lighter/collapsing only stock, magnesium lower, and conventional barrel nut I would buy a special edition Coyote Remington ACR in a heart beat
View Quote
That’s actually one of my favorite setups for the Acr.  A well tuned 14.5 shoots nice and smooth with the Acr.

With that being said, the magnesium lowers aren’t as great as they are made out to be.   Magnesium is lighter than the aluminum lowers but it’s not a lot lighter when it’s said and done.  The bigger issue is that they don’t do well in corrosion tests.

The 6061 lowers I developed are lighter than the remdef aluminum lower. And stronger than either the magnesium or cast aluminum versions
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigdog200399] [#15]
ETA double tap
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]

That’s actually one of my favorite setups for the Acr.  A well tuned 14.5 shoots nice and smooth with the Acr.

With that being said, the magnesium lowers aren’t as great as they are made out to be.   Magnesium is lighter than the aluminum lowers but it’s not a lot lighter when it’s said and done.  The bigger issue is that they don’t do well in corrosion tests.

The 6061 lowers I developed are lighter than the remdef aluminum lower. And stronger than either the magnesium or cast aluminum versions
View Quote
Oh no doubt about all said.  I would get the above described Remington ACR for almost purely cloning purposes.  If the ACR isn’t dead by the time I can afford your lower, I will be building a black one based off of your 6061 lower for certain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]

That's actually one of my favorite setups for the Acr.  A well tuned 14.5 shoots nice and smooth with the Acr.

With that being said, the magnesium lowers aren't as great as they are made out to be.   Magnesium is lighter than the aluminum lowers but it's not a lot lighter when it's said and done.  The bigger issue is that they don't do well in corrosion tests.

View Quote
Why 6061 instead of 7075?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]
The cost of material on 6061 is about 25 a block of aluminum. The same size piece from 7075 is 195 dollars.  The lower doesn’t need a bunch of strength that the 7075 offers so it would be overkill.  Unless the charging handle assembly is made from it, the Acr actually doesn’t have any 7075 in it at all unless you go aftermarket or remdef.  The plastic lowers almost never die unless you do something really, really wrong.  The cast magnesium and cast aluminum lowers are even stronger, the billet aluminum even at 6061 is probably 2-3 times as strong as the plastic if not more.  (as a rough guess)

Another cost that I get when making the lower is having the magwell wire edm cut.  That’s another 75 dollars so the cost goes up quickly with that and actual cnc time itself.

I probably will make a lower out of 7075 eventually.  But it won’t be a production type deal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoDakWolfPack] [#20]
The cost of material on 6061 is about 25 a block of aluminum. The same size piece from 7075 is 195 dollars.  The lower doesn’t need a bunch of strength that the 7075 offers so it would be overkill.  Unless the charging handle assembly is made from it, the Acr actually doesn’t have any 7075 in it at all unless you go aftermarket or remdef.  The plastic lowers almost never die unless you do something really, really wrong.  The cast magnesium and cast aluminum lowers are even stronger, the billet aluminum even at 6061 is probably 2-3 times as strong as the plastic if not more.  (as a rough guess)

Another cost that I get when making the lower is having the magwell wire edm cut.  That’s another 75 dollars so the cost goes up quickly with that and actual cnc time itself.

I probably will make a lower out of 7075 eventually.  But it won’t be a production type deal.
View Quote
Tell me how wrong I am, but isn’t 6061 also superior in terms of corrosion resistance ? I remember reading that somewhere...

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/metals-metal-products/6061-aluminum-vs-7075-aluminum/

ETA: it says in this article, essentially, that neither are immune to corrosion but 6061 is better in corrosive environments than 7075
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
To be completely honest I didn’t know that but it does make sense.  I did a few tests outside Vegas with the Acr in the salt pits and anything that was parkerized was pretty much corroded.  All the 6061 stuff was good to go.

Anodized parts did great, melonite held up perfectly, cerakote did well minus the scratched parts and parked parts failed badly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:26:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#22]
I went ahead and purchased one. I had no idea the PRS stocks had so much heft. Now if only a DMR barrel/piston and a KRG precision forend was practical to buy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top