Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2021 1:21:05 PM EDT
Hi guys !

Before begining, sorry if it as already being discuss, but I didn't find anything with the search button. Secondary, sorry for my english, I'm not fluent in english

So, as the title said, I'm in search on how to do my own nitrogen purger for nods. I know some people make their own, but it's like a "secret". I'm sure I'm not alone wanting to do it myself and don't want to pay a kit at 1650$.
Someone in Germany says me he makes his own purger for 500€. That more fair enough for me.
Any of you already make a nitrogen purger for PVS/BNVD/ANVIS ?
Would like to know how to do, whaat I need, etc...

Sorry again if this topic is out of context ...

Nicolas
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you having fogging problems? If not I wouldn't even worry about it since the gas inside of the NODs will eventually escape in a few months anyway. There are home brewed methods using argon wine gas (found on amazon @ 12.00) inside of a gallon food storage bag, with the purge screw or ocular lens removed (opening facing down). Basically place your NODs with the objectives lens upward, spray the argon into the unit, and reinstall the purge screw or ocular lens. It's a good time to regrease any exposed o-ring with dielectric, 100% silicone, or Krytox grease
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You really don’t need to purge your night vision
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You really don’t need to purge your night vision
View Quote

Where I live we have weather that can cause fogging, so yes, I want to purge it to be safe

Quoted:
Are you having fogging problems? If not I wouldn't even worry about it since the gas inside of the NODs will eventually escape in a few months anyway. There are home brewed methods using argon wine gas (found on amazon @ 12.00) inside of a gallon food storage bag, with the purge screw or ocular lens removed (opening facing down). Basically place your NODs with the objectives lens upward, spray the argon into the unit, and reinstall the purge screw or ocular lens. It's a good time to regrease any exposed o-ring with dielectric, 100% silicone, or Krytox grease
View Quote

Interesting, yes, we can get fog inside with the weather changing here. So I remove the purge screws, put the NODS inside the bag upside down, and usse the gallon food storage bag like if I'm sealing food ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where I live we have weather that can cause fogging, so yes, I want to purge it to be safe

Interesting, yes, we can get fog inside with the weather changing here. So I remove the purge screws, put the NODS inside the bag upside down, and usse the gallon food storage bag like if I'm sealing food ?
View Quote

I live in southwest Louisiana, I’m telling you you’re fine. Unless you built them outside in 100 percent humidity...
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I live in southwest Louisiana, I’m telling you you’re fine. Unless you built them outside in 100 percent humidity...
View Quote

I live in France, a different climate
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tlandoe07 makes a good point. When you assemble/purge do it in a warm room. Also Ted builds NV, so he does have more knowledge than most on this forum.

Quoted:

Leaving the bottom open will allow you to easily work with your hands, sealing it might make it difficult The whole idea is to drive as much O2 out as possible, then reseal the unit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tlandoe07 makes a good point. When you assemble/purge do it in a warm room. Also Ted builds NV, so he does have more knowledge than most on this forum.
View Quote

Yes I don't put in question his knowledge. That just it's not the goal of this topic. I want to make a nitrogen purger and don't want to buy one for 1600$ for something I will do only every 6 months for 10 units ...
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When you assemble/purge do it in a warm room.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive had all my stuff popped open at some point

I live in the humid midwest on a river and beyond going from blazing hot outdoors to indoors Ive never really experience fogging in normal use
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ive had all my stuff popped open at some point

I live in the humid midwest on a river and beyond going from blazing hot outdoors to indoors Ive never really experience fogging in normal use
View Quote

I never understood the religious fascination toward purging NODs. I can understand for military use because ours are routinely taken apart for service, and used at extreme temp and elevation swings which could theoretically precipitate condensation. But for the average bro? Nah.  

Do you purge your day scope? No
Cameras? No
Laptop? No

I can’t think of anything in my life, either electronic, optical or both, that would be beneficial to purge. Nowadays, even optics manufacturers like Aimpoint don’t even purge their optics at the factory because they’re assembled in a controlled environment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never understood the religious fascination toward purging NODs. I can understand for military use because ours are routinely taken apart for service, and used at extreme temp and elevation swings which could theoretically precipitate condensation. But for the average bro? Nah.  

Do you purge your day scope? No
Cameras? No
Laptop? No

I can’t think of anything in my life, either electronic, optical or both, that would be beneficial to purge. Nowadays, even optics manufacturers like Aimpoint don’t even purge their optics at the factory because they’re assembled in a controlled environment.
View Quote

Even when mine were 'purged' they still would fog in extreme temp swings

Id purge mine if they kit wasnt retarded expensive. I have Argon at the house. But Im really curious how much it truly helps keep fogging at bay.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Building a purge system is not that hard, sourcing the correct threaded adapters can be.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
If you dont use reagent grade gas you can damage your intensifier tube.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Attach your fitting to the unit, fill a balloon full of nitrogen, pinch it off and attach balloon to fitting, slowly let pressure out of the balloon and purge. If you don`t have a fitting a piece of plastic tubing that fits tightly in the hole might work.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Attach your fitting to the unit, fill a balloon full of nitrogen, pinch it off and attach balloon to fitting, slowly let pressure out of the balloon and purge. If you don`t have a fitting a piece of plastic tubing that fits tightly in the hole might work.
View Quote

You need to pull a vacuum first.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'd be very hesitant and careful to pull any sort of vacuum on a tube-based night vision device.

You fill the chamber a couple of times, it will drive out the moisture and air like any other confined space.

Also seems like argon was a no go, too
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Hello,

Here is an example of what I want to do

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#18]
With you being in france, any items you buy are different than we would buy here in the states. You have a pic, so you know what you need. I dont understand why this is being dragged out.

I would like someone to officially confirm argon is bad for nv, since it was brought up. Does it ruin the orings or something?

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I'm sorry.

When I went through this years ago, I could have sworn there was a thing that said no to argon, because its use in welding would have made finding it easy.

I wound up finding nitrogen carts and modified a bicycle inflator, but wound up just kind of poofing it in there a couple of times. Without a real regulator, I didn't want to build out the correct nozzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top