Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2019 4:22:14 PM EDT
I’ve been looking at different ways to mount a lanyard for my NVGs. Of course, the simplest solution would to not be a cheap ass and buy a Wilcox lanyard.

I like the TRex arms one a lot, but there’s that cheap ass theme again. I know, go be poor somewhere else...

I ordered some shock tube from Mil-spec Monkey and have been playing around with some crap I had in the random screw/parts bin and I found these offset mirror mounts.  A little drilling and filing and I came up with this:

Attachment Attached File

I might be on to something here...
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If only there was a shock cord attached to the rail or something. Someone should invent that...
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My Streamlight helmet light mounts on the ARC rail directly in front of my Comms mount or else I would come up with something.

I want it to fall off to my left since my rifle mounts on my right.

Constantly evolving, lol!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my bungee drop test:
https://youtu.be/Zz-bZtfirf4
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh that's even nicer than the scissors lanyard a lot of people use.

I got lazy and just used shock cord w/ some sort of ITW snap hook tied off to the helmet.   Heat shrink tube can make sure the knots don't come loose.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Streamlight helmet light mounts on the ARC rail directly in front of my Comms mount or else I would come up with something.

I want it to fall off to my left since my rifle mounts on my right.

Constantly evolving, lol!
View Quote
I was sarcastically referring to the shock cord that already comes with the helmet on the side. Just bend your hook onto a ring you put on your nvg.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was sarcastically referring to the shock cord that already comes with the helmet on the side. Just bend your hook onto a ring you put on your nvg.
View Quote
I thought I picked up on some sarcasm; I’m a little slow.

I don’t trust my NVGs to a hook I will have to bend to somewhat secure it. And what about the times I don’t run my NVGs; how do I get them off?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's my bungee drop test:
https://youtu.be/Zz-bZtfirf4
View Quote
I like it! Can I get pics of your set-up or details?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I thought I picked up on some sarcasm; I’m a little slow.

I don’t trust my NVGs to a hook I will have to bend to somewhat secure it. And what about the times I don’t run my NVGs; how do I get them off?
View Quote
Put something like this on it. Put the clip on the shock cord and put a small loop on the nvg. It’s done like this all the time. If you’re going to put shock cord on that little metal loop you really just making the same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Carabiner-Keyring-Keychain-Finder/dp/B016F3UFKA
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The $15 T-Reign works well and is easy to disconnect when you want to take it off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#12]
No bungees or retractable key chain, but I made a lanyard using a kit from McMaster Carr for $20 and a S-biner. I only have a pigtail hanging off my PVS-14 when not on the helmet.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Paint it black, come up a tactical sounding acronym, charge 100 bucks. Profit!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Paint it black, come up a tactical sounding acronym, charge 100 bucks. Profit!
View Quote
Do you even coyote tan, bro? Lol
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
How about olive drab?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
IMO shock cord is for taking rattle out of loose mounts. Stock helmet shock cord is horrible for a lanyard system becayse it puts the NOD right in your face to whack you. Lanyards from Wilcox tend to get hung up on things with my PVS14 due to the tension from it retracting. I actually prefer a simple 550 lanyard. It stays slack and tends to not get hung up but since it is so hard to have a clean hook up, I suffer with Wilcox lanyards (I have two).
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No bungees or retractable key chain, but I made a lanyard using a kit from McMaster Carr for $20 and a S-biner. I only have a pigtail hanging off my PVS-14 when not on the helmet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127213/20190129_212059_jpg-831616.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127213/20190129_212115_jpg-831617.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127213/20190129_212148_jpg-831618.JPG
View Quote
I like that wire S Loop.  Linky?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m a simple 550 guy myself. Simple loop around bump hood vent with single strand to the nvd with s-biner on the bight. Free mod with all the cordlaying around.

Quoted:
IMO shock cord is for taking rattle out of loose mounts. Stock helmet shock cord is horrible for a lanyard system becayse it puts the NOD right in your face to whack you. Lanyards from Wilcox tend to get hung up on things with my PVS14 due to the tension from it retracting. I actually prefer a simple 550 lanyard. It stays slack and tends to not get hung up but since it is so hard to have a clean hook up, I suffer with Wilcox lanyards (I have two).
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im old yo...
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Urban ninja warrior wolf grey

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I picked mine up from Lowe's by the key making desk. It's a Nite Ize S-Biner Microlock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked mine up from Lowe's by the key making desk. It's a Nite Ize S-Biner Microlock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I meant the wire loop. I think I found them at McMaster-Carr
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry, I meant the wire loop. I think I found them at McMaster-Carr
View Quote
Gotcha. I ordered the 1/32" thick black stainless from them. As a note, it does not come with the same pliers that are pictured. Its a cheaper set, but still works. Mine also didn't come with the plastic box which pissed me off. McMaster Carr sent one to me for free...

McMaster Carr Lanyard Kit
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll likely get flamed for this but - they sell chicom airsoft copies of the Wilcox lanyard on Ebay for ~$17.00. I bought one just to check it out and it's just as stout as the Wilcox I have. Wouldn't surprise me if they came from the same factory as the real ones.

Link
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I like it! Can I get pics of your set-up or details?
View Quote
Sorry for the delay, I've been extremly busy. The parts list is: shock chord, 3/8" heat shrink, stainless steel .030 safety wire "any wire bailing or floral wire will do", Nite Ize key carabiner, small pliers and a lighter
The best thing about this system is if you have some tension on the bungee it gets rid of any play of you lowering arm, Jarm etc.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice work. I love the satisfaction knowing you made something that works well versus just buying something.

Quoted:

orry for the delay, I've been extremly busy. The parts list is: shock chord, 3/8" heat shrink, stainless steel .030 safety wire "any wire bailing or floral wire will do", Nite Ize key carabiner, small pliers and a lighter
The best thing about this system is if you have some tension on the bungee it gets rid of any play of you lowering arm, Jarm etc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gotcha. I ordered the 1/32" thick black stainless from them. As a note, it does not come with the same pliers that are pictured. Its a cheaper set, but still works. Mine also didn't come with the plastic box which pissed me off. McMaster Carr sent one to me for free...

View Quote
Ordered this kit unknowingly there was an additional $10 tacked on for shipping and tax

Made this out of it so far:

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fishing store sell coated stainless steel leader wire in camo, their crimps are blackened copper alloy, so no painting is required.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fishing store sell coated stainless steel leader wire in camo, their crimps are blackened copper alloy, so no painting is required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

These came black as well. No paint was needed.

Quoted:

Ordered this kit unknowingly there was an additional $10 tacked on for shipping and tax

Made this out of it so far:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7807/46971000282_35636f4c54_b.jpg
Yeah, mine came to a total of $28. But I wasn't to upset about that as they ship same day and get it to you almost the next day. And it's still probably faster and cheaper than Midway...

I have to redo mine though. I finally got around to putting the DDA on mine and now the battery housing is clocked just in front of my nose.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Y'all worry too much about this...

550 cord loops and an S-biner work fine for less than $1.00 in materials.

If you're going to spend more than that... you may as well just get the Wilcox lanyard, it's small, low profile, and purpose designed--it doesn't look like you took a keychain or ID card or scissors leash and lashed it on to your helmet. Is it cheaper? Sure. Again, a 550 cord loop and an S-biner is even cheaper, and probably works better than all of those options, frankly.

If you're going to spend more money anyways, are you really going to quibble over the difference between $15 lanyard and a $75 one to secure your $1,500-$10,000-ish purchase?

If you really want a slick setup, get a Wilcox WMS shroud: $116 with the lanyand, lanyard is modular, and can be put at the 9, 12, or 3 o'clock position, so if your goggle does disconnect, you can set it up to swing off to the side instead of straight down (yes, every freaking picture on the internet still has it at the 12 o'clock...)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Diy1RIrVMAEpZKq.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
I want that Wilcox lanyard but with a TW LTP helmet, I'm not sure which one to go with and how to attach it to my BNVD's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you have a NVD-BNVD? On my SG, I was using the tabs on the pods with 275 or 95 cord loops (one end knotted and other end with a loop), for the TW hooks. It works fine unless you want to stow with pods unfolded. The bungee tension causes the pods to fold. I ended up loosening two screws on the center housing and using really thin cord with two loops, one around the screw that when tightened held it in place. This keeps the bungee tension on the housing and not the pods so I can stow it unfolded. I think it’s enough for civ use to work like a lanyard that if it were to come off the mount or the mount came off the helmet it wouldn’t hit the deck.

Quoted:

I want that Wilcox lanyard but with a TW LTP helmet, I'm not sure which one to go with and how to attach it to my BNVD's.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
you could always do the old TW "rail hack" if you have room on a side rail

the rails are made so a 1/4 x 20 nut will slide in from the rear and let you "bolt" attachments to the rails

Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't stop securing crap on my helmet now with the wire loop kit.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I’m done...for now at least.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's my DIY. the small shock cord has about a 15-20lb break strength as a safety.

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Cheapest thread on ARFCOM :)
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#43]
550 cord works don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll likely get flamed for this but - they sell chicom airsoft copies of the Wilcox lanyard on Ebay for ~$17.00. I bought one just to check it out and it's just as stout as the Wilcox I have. Wouldn't surprise me if they came from the same factory as the real ones.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TYQAAOSwroFbj06m/s-l1600.jpg

Link
View Quote
Now you have me wondering about the quality of the Chinese lanyards
I’m assuming Wilcox doesn’t make there’s in house and is probably sourced from China
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone running a lanyard on a nightcap at all? ETA: If so, how?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone running a lanyard on a nightcap at all? ETA: If so, how?
View Quote
I do the same way as on my ballistic
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I do the same way as on my ballistic
https://i.imgur.com/TDXhANW.jpg
View Quote
What kind of clip are you using here?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What kind of clip are you using here?
View Quote
It's off of a SureFire lanyard clip that comes with some flashlights. Mini Nite Izes carabiners can be found at HomeDepot etc in the key section
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top