Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
Here is a quick DIY I threw together on how to make a mount for either a Surefire Scout or Steamlight Pro Tac light to be mounted to your team Wendy helmet in conjunction with QD Peltor adapters. This will also work with a Princeton Tec Switch/Point by simply adding velcro to where the Scout would typically be mounted. Hopefully this DIY will make sense and some people get some use out of it. You can make a handful of these mounts for about $12

Materials:
The template I provided
16ga Steel, I picked up a 18x6 plate at Lowes for $7 (its where their angle iron is)
2x 1/4x20 by 3/8" bolts
2x 8-32 x 3/16" button cap bolts

Tools:
Auto Punch
1/4" Drill Bit
3/16" Drill Bit
Dremel with metal cutting disks, sanding drums and some small grinding bits
Sand paper
Paint, cerakote, plasticip or whatever you want to coat it with.

Start buy cutting around the outside of the template and gluing it down to a corner of your steel plate. Then center punch each of the tiny black dots (four in total) Then go ahead and drill out each hole. After that you can cut out your plate.

After you get it cut out, you want to make sure all your holes line up. If they don't, use a small grinding or cutting bit to open your holes in the direction they need to be moved. You can also oval out the front Scout hole in a vertical direction to allow angular adjustments of your light.

When you are all done and you've checked alignment you can clean up all the edges using a sanding drum on a Dremel. Then go ahead and sand both faces of your plate to prep for paint. Clean it well then coat it however you wish. After you are satisfied with your coating you can mount your light to the plate.

Then drop the square nuts in the rail system and mount the plate to the helmet.

If you have a vice, I would recommend putting a slight bend in your plate to get the light even closer to your helmet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice write up! And very cool you included a template.
I had to do mine from scratch and shape it as I went. I also don’t have the QD adapters so I had to piggy back it on the existing thumb screws.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice write up! And very cool you included a template.
I had to do mine from scratch and shape it as I went. I also don’t have the QD adapters so I had to piggy back it on the existing thumb screws.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207473/28B263B8-8E24-4AC8-B694-587E6F46E452-604617.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207473/984CB234-5D97-455F-BED6-30392EA19A8D-604618.JPG
View Quote
Nice dude!! I had a good feeling a plate could be made in a similar fashion to fit the thumb screw version! I dig it! The first one I made I just cut up an drilled holes where ever, second time I decided to make a template for other people to use if they wanted. I’ll probably mount a Princeton Tec light on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice gunna have to give this a go
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tutorial!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the inspiration

Price=zero since I had everything laying around

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]

I saw your PM asking about my DIY TW mount on page 66 of the helmet rig thread (Here)

Glad you got it figured out, looks great. Send me some I couldn't keep up with the messages asking for more details back then and just busy now. I give credit where its due tho, I based the idea from the unity knuckle way back. Never got that one to work for me.

Edit:
If you put a bend in it, it will suck tighter into the helmet.
I need to update those pics with the PVS15
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I saw your PM asking about my DIY TW mount on page 66 of the helmet rig thread (Here)

Glad you got it figured out, looks great. Send me some I couldn't keep up with the messages asking for more details back then and just busy now. I give credit where its due tho, I based the idea from the unity knuckle way back. Never got that one to work for me.

Edit:
If you put a bend in it, it will suck tighter into the helmet.
I need to update those pics with the PVS15
View Quote
Yeah!! You were the one I saw that did this. I couldn't remember who it was. I actually mentioned that I had gotten the idea from someone on here in my original post in the helmet thread. I figured I'd throw up the DIY to avoid all the questions
I can't bend the 16 gauge steel I used, I need a vise to hold it while I smack with a hammer. I just moved so I haven't gotten a new workbench figured out yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
fivefivesixphoto, thank you for the idea, materials list and template.  I put them to good use and made a set of mounts for my self.  I did modify them a bit by using 1/4-20 round head screws and I mounted short pieces of polymer picatinny rail.  The rails were for MLock handguards so I filed off the bosses on the back side and used regular #8 machine screw nuts to retain them.  I made them pretty quickly, so not the cleanest work, but they are functional and will look fine once I paint them.

Here is a link to the album of the under construction and a couple almost finished product photos:  https://imgur.com/a/FxugaGp

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fivefivesixphoto, thank you for the idea, materials list and template.  I put them to good use and made a set of mounts for my self.  I did modify them a bit by using 1/4-20 round head screws and I mounted short pieces of polymer picatinny rail.  The rails were for MLock handguards so I filed off the bosses on the back side and used regular #8 machine screw nuts to retain them.  I made them pretty quickly, so not the cleanest work, but they are functional and will look fine once I paint them.

Here is a link to the album of the under construction and a couple almost finished product photos:  https://imgur.com/a/FxugaGp
View Quote
Hell yeah dude!! Looks great. I’m glad the templates worked!
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats awesome, I need to get to work on making mine.  It makes you wonder though why TW hasn't though of something like this to sell.  From all the feedback on here you know it would be an accessory that would move off the shelf.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hell yeah dude!! Looks great. I’m glad the templates worked!
View Quote
Thanks! Here are a couple pics now that I added some paint.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top