Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2020 8:51:41 AM EDT
I'm looking for advice on adding a front sight bead to 2 different shotguns. I have a stamped 870 and got a donor barrel to cut down. I have filed for a stevens 311 and will want a bead sight on that as well.
While I have cut down barrels before and I'm not worried about that, I have never "drilled and tapped" anything. Are there kits that sell everything I'd need for that? I'm not looking to just slap a FO sight over the 870 barrel and don't have options as the bead in the stevens will need to go between the barrels into the rib.

I own a decent set of tools, dremel, drills, bits, but no drill press. I want to learn how to do it since it would be cheaper than farming out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd want a drill press to do a d&t on any gun parts.

If you're confident (get some scrap steel and practice), you could definitely do it by hand. Go easy and use good cutting oil. Mark your bit to help prevent going too deep.

My biggest concerns are over travel and square to bore axis.

IIRC you need two different taps for what you're doing, one with a taper to start the threads, then another sans taper to bottom out in the hole.

Every machine tool company will offer a drill:tap size chart.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot an 1100 for a lot of years for 3 gun, and over that time knocked off a couple of front sights in drop barrels or on stage props... the 21" barrel was vent rib, and I drilled a blind hole for a roll pin and trimmed to size and then painted... not pretty,, but it stayed on... a rounded top solid steel pin with a dab of cylindrical bonding Loctite would work well if you have a vent rib
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Brownell's sells the kits you need
https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/sight-parts/sight-refill-kits/shotgun-sight-convenience-kits-prod338.aspx
While a drill press is better. It's not absolutely necessary if you have a padded vise, a good sense of plumb, and lower expectations of results. 
Use the piece you cut off the 870 barrel for practice. the 870 is less scary. I did the cut/plumb/polish the barrel before and have the tools for it. I had re-mounted rifle sights on it, and the high heat solder I used did not hold up. The front sight is gone to the wind. I figured I would cut the barrel and practice with the bead easy enough.

Now this Stevens 311 is another story. Do you have the tools, skill, and experience to cut double barrels squarely, make and shape the plug that holds the barrels and both ribs together and regulates point of impact, check and adjust point of impact, and solder it all up good and tight again?
 You're investing a stamp in this gun and those barrels don't exactly grow on trees. If you expect it to last it needs to be done right. That's a good point. I do have the tools to cut it short. I have read up on another user here who used JB weld to fill the gap, then sanded that smooth and I was thinking about the same. I figure if I can do the bead sight on the 870 I should be able to do it there. I also figured I would cut a few chunks off to practice. It has like 36" barrels now and I'm debating cutting it back to 12 or 8". I figure that would give me some practice options. But I may look at doing a rough cut and then sending it out to be finished by someone who's not terrible.

View Quote

answered in quotes
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I recommend a drill press like mentioned.  It will ensure a straight hole/tap.  Its easier to maintain drill bit position and keeps the bit from walking off the part and damages the part.

Get a set of calipers as well to measure the center for the double barrel. You might be able to eye it up, but calipers will ensure true center.

My apprehension of drilling for the 870 barrel, assuming its a plain barrel, is finding true top dead center.  You could get a top center drill finder.  Drill press would be easier to drill onto a round surface.

Honestly unless you already have this stuff, it might be cheaper to have someone else do it.  Check out Rose Action Sports.  They do all my shotgun work and are well regarded here.  I've used them many times for various projects and I have always been happy with their work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top