Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2021 1:36:15 PM EDT
I received a universal case trimmer for Father’s Day. It’s the Frankfort Arsenal model.

I needed a good way to drive it. I took an old 12 volt drill that had dead batteries and two geared 12volt 100 RPM motors. The small motors drive the deburring and chamfer tools.

I bought a 30 amp power supply, a couple of switches, and some wood. The rest came from stuff I had laying around.

Here is a pic of the inside.

Here is a pic of it ready to use.

The trimmer runs off of a foot pedal. The chamfer and deburring run off the red momentarily switch.

The toggle switch is for main power.

It was a fun project.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a cool project.

Is the wire coming out of the front going to the foot pedal?

The exhaust hole on top, is that forced air from a fan pulling the hot air out or is it passive just letting the air vent out naturally?

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Really cool project !
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a cool project.

The exhaust hole on top, is that forced air from a fan pulling the hot air out or is it passive just letting the air vent out naturally?

View Quote

Yes the wire out the front is to the foot pedal. The vent is passive. The power supply has a fan.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Really cool project !
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very cool
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really cool project !
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes the wire out the front is to the foot pedal. The vent is passive. The power supply has a fan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a cool project.

I am thinking you can shrink the foot print if you are interested.

1) Move the foot pedal wire to the side of the box
2) Rotate the chamfer/deburr 180 degrees so the motor sits were the old foot pedal wire came out the front of the box. You should not need to move the holes that they stick out the front of the box
3) Rotate the power supply on its side and move it closer to the drill. Doing this you might need to make the box a bit taller, it is hard to tell from the angle of the pics

If It were me, regardless of the above modifications to shrink the foot print, I would mount the relay to something(back panel, bottom panel) so it does not bounce around. Depending on how much moving around the unit will see, it could rub wires and cause a short. If I were doing it, I would mount the relay on the back panel with the wires facing up for easy access, shorten the wires  and then zip tie them so rubbing is less likely to happen. I deal with these things all the time at work. You could also add a computer case fan to aid in drawing out heat if the current design gets the box to warm.

Over all I think it is a neat project and that you did a nice job with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

2) Rotate the chamfer/deburr 180 degrees so the motor sits were the old foot pedal wire came out the front of the box. You should not need to move the holes that they stick out the front of the box
3) Rotate the power supply on its side and move it closer to the drill. Doing this you might need to make the box a bit taller, it is hard to tell from the angle of the pics

If It were me, regardless of the above modifications to shrink the foot print, I would mount the relay to something(back panel, bottom panel) so it does not bounce around. Depending on how much moving around the unit will see, it could rub wires and cause a short. If I were doing it, I would mount the relay on the back panel with the wires facing up for easy access, shorten the wires  and then zip tie them so rubbing is less likely to happen. I deal with these things all the time at work. You could also add a computer case fan to aid in drawing out heat if the current design gets the box to warm.

View Quote

Thanks for the ideas. You can’t see it but the relay is screwed to the floor of the box.

The footprint could be smaller in width but the length is dictated by the drill motor and the power supply.  I started with a 10 amp supply that was much smaller but it wouldn’t run the motor. A 20 amp supply wasn’t much smaller than the 30 amp I went with.

I thought about a case fan but I’m not planning on running it long enough to get that hot. It’s also why I added the foot pedal to the design and split the tools to have one set running at a time.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the ideas. You can’t see it but the relay is screwed to the floor of the box.

The footprint could be smaller in width but the length is dictated by the drill motor and the power supply.  I started with a 10 amp supply that was much smaller but it wouldn’t run the motor. A 20 amp supply wasn’t much smaller than the 30 amp I went with.

I thought about a case fan but I’m not planning on running it long enough to get that hot. It’s also why I added the foot pedal to the design and split the tools to have one set running at a time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, looks like you have it all covered. Have fun with your new tool.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool, looks like you have it all covered. Have fun with your new tool.
View Quote

Thanks again for the ideas. My trouble is with the wood working and getting everything to fit.

If I rebuild it, I will change it up.

My next step is to size some .243 cases and trim them. Then anneal them with this.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice... a DYI project is the best way to recycle stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, That is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:  The power supply wasn’t getting hot but the drill motor was. I added an exhaust fan to the cabinet.

The fan draws a lot of air. Hopefully this will help keep the drill motor cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top