Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2022 10:07:48 AM EDT
I posted an image and received some inquiry how it was made. Although this isn't something new, I did promise that I will make a thread showing instructions how to make one.

Video demonstration here.

https://imgur.com/gH1v22g

Actually posted it on my IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbz53sDLta8/
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
/me clicks like button

Wait, no I don't because there's not damned like button. Well, thanks anyway for this. It's greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like:
1. Butler creek 09a $10
2. Sacrificial lens $14
3. Adjustable aperture Iris SK23 $23
4. Electric tape. $0
Total: $47

Does the SK23 in the fully opened position block any of the objective lens on PVS-14 etc?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a way to view IG without signing up?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You should be able to click it without signing up. I checked on my computer and was able to see without logging in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a way to view IG without signing up?
View Quote

Here you go, brosef:

Edit: Ah, I see there may be like 8 pics, sorry - it opened for me in the browser, but sometimes on other IG pages it asks to log in, so no idea. Somebody else did a DIY thread on this in here, FYI. There's also a company that 3D prints a part that goes over the Brass tube, called 'IrisNail' or something.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Made one of these a little while ago, works great. The YouTube video tutorials I've seen suggest a dremel for cutting the slot for the adjuster knob, but I'd recommend just using a razorblade. You can really fine-tune how tight or loose you want the slot to be, because each iris differs rather greatly in how easy or difficult it is to adjust. My first iris adjuster was extremely loose, and it seemed as though it could almost rotate itself open, so I had to keep the slot tight. My second iris is really stiff as it is, so the slot cut in the butler creek cap didn't have to be so tight and precise. I also found a dude on IG who 3D prints the entire assembly, and it threads directly into the threads on the NV Unit itself. I haven't bought one off him, as I had already made some I really like before he had any back in stock, but I've heard great things about it, "NodPods" or something IIRC

@Sogan I don't think it does, at least to any notable amount. It is, however, backed off the OBJ lens a little ways, so you will be losing some incoming light from the periphery, but just how much I have no idea. There is no decrease in FOV to my knowledge either.

Even if there is a slight decrease in overall light collection and a miniscule decrease in FOV, I still think it is a very worthwhile investment of 50$, considering its utility. The "old" drill a hole in the Butler Creek cap trick was neat, but this takes it to a whole new level for just a few dollars more. Especially for someone using a pistol, I've found I can actually make decent hits with irons using these. it still pales in comparison to an RMR, of course, but it makes pistol use actually somewhat viable. I couldn't really justify a few hundred dollars on a proper manufactured one, but <100$ for two of em is surely worth it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Your iris is in backward
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your iris is in backward
View Quote

Why would that matter?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your iris is in backward
View Quote

Nope. That's on purpose. I chose the smooth side to contact the night vision device.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone find any scope caps that lay flat that work for this? I hate the butler creek caps that still stay open at a 45 degree angle. I’d prefer ones that lay flat like the vortex ones or the hoplite refocusing caps?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope. That's on purpose. I chose the smooth side to contact the night vision device.
View Quote

The edge of the inside part of the iris doesnt come near the glass when mounted the correct way, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would that matter?
View Quote

aesthetics of seeing the inside of it facing outward is really all
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for posting this!

Has anyone played around with an adjustable iris and if it plays well with a COTI installed on a -14?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this!

Has anyone played around with an adjustable iris and if it plays well with a COTI installed on a -14?
View Quote

Thats a good question. I'm interested to see how that would look if someone could try it and record it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty slick. Good work!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats a good question. I'm interested to see how that would look if someone could try it and record it.
View Quote

Send me a homemade adjustable Iris and I'll do it.

I'm planning on ordering the parts to make one, but I'll be a little bummed if it's a waste of $50.  That's like 100 rounds of 9mm now....lol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Send me a homemade adjustable Iris and I'll do it.

I'm planning on ordering the parts to make one, but I'll be a little bummed if it's a waste of $50.  That's like 100 rounds of 9mm now....lol.
View Quote

It works as intended. I posted video in OP. It works the same as a $300 Tarsier.

What it does is allows you to look at close objects without having to adjust the objective lens while keeping focus of your distance. Also it allows for devices with no gain control to limit and dim the light.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It works as intended. I posted video in OP. It works the same as a $300 Tarsier.

What it does is allows you to look at close objects without having to adjust the objective lens while keeping focus of your distance. Also it allows for devices with no gain control to limit and dim the light.
View Quote

Oh no, I don't doubt that it works as intended with just a -14 or other.  I meant, does it work with a -14 and a COTI....that was the combo I'm willing to "test".
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh no, I don't doubt that it works as intended with just a -14 or other.  I meant, does it work with a -14 and a COTI....that was the combo I'm willing to "test".
View Quote

Oh I see. If I had extras I wouldnt mind sending one at material cost. These parts come and go in stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried to make a pair of these with butler creek caps and found them to be too flimsy. I then tried some eye cup retaining rings and the irises shrink wrapped together and it works amazing. I didn’t put on sac lenses but you easily could.

Quoted:

View Quote

No they are too big. The coti sits too close to the lens for these to fit in between them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No they are too big. The coti sits too close to the lens for these to fit in between them.
View Quote

Bummer....thank you for the info though!  It's saves me some $$$ and frustration.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I got lazy and just drilled a 5mm hole in a $9 butler creek flip cap.

I can go from infinity to ~10ft in 0.87 seconds and then back to infinity instantly with the press of a button.  Administrative tasks at arms length like loading mags, pasting targets, putting stuff away, taking it out, manual of arms, etc. is all pretty easy even if not in sharp focus.

It even dims it enough to use aa sort of indoor-daylight cap.  Not sure I’d want to take it outside on a bright day with the cap though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Here it is in action. Note the clarity of schrubs and pavement and also the infinite distal objective.

PVS 14 Elbit WP Adjustable Iris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMgzS9d_hQ
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]
As to caps laying flat, yeah been working on that myself.  If you put the BC on a belt sander (or equivalent), and round off the pivot elbow, you can get them back roughly 270 deg (vs 180).  Depends on how thin a joint you can live with.  Eventually cap bumps up against itself, just the nature of the design, but you can improve it a bit.  

I hadn't thought about the Breach yet, since that's my stop and scan optic, but you know, might have to look at it.  The challenge would seem to be making (and gluing on?) a threaded collar for it, to accept an iris.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
My new iris setup. Bigger diameter than sk23

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Will these fit RPOs?

I hate sticky tape, i’m considering cutting a groove around the knurling to hold an o-ring or two so they fit better, without tape.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/t0qkwVJnLxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qkwVJnLxI
View Quote

Nice.  Looks very slick.

Got a link to parts/pieces to order?

I ended up doing the previous version anyway and I have enjoyed playing around with it even though it doesn't work with the COTI installed as well...

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/t0qkwVJnLxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qkwVJnLxI
View Quote

Oooh, that's really nice. Care to share the parts list with us? I built the previous version but this seems like a nice upgreyedd
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#30]
@ar15niel don't tease now
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Video review by TheTacDoc comparing two DIY iris

Comparing Two DIY Night Vision Irises for the PVS-14 / Pressure on penetrating wound
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Parts list?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anybody have the alpha one designs iris from the video above?

I'm looking for an iris primarily as a replacement daylight protective cover to run under my coti. I built one of the butler cap based versions and shaved off the flip cap. It still doesn't fit under my coti.

Does the alpha one designs iris fit under a coti?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top