Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 8:36:31 PM EDT
Does anybody know where I might be able to buy a DIAS for my AR10. Preferably one that doesn’t require that I make modifications to my gun. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to find a NFA dealer who actually has one and do the transfer.  I am not sure you can modify an AR10 to legally take a DIAS.

Why does this posting sound like an ATF agent asking sketchy question.....
Join date and the username......
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Promise I’m not ATF lol, just some teenager that just got medically discharged from the Marine Corps and now wanting to modify my custom built AR10 to be full auto. But I can see where you got that from the wording and everything. But I thought you could legally put one in an AR15? What’s the difference, only difference is the caliber.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You can legally buy and use a RDIAS, not a DIAS. The difference being the Registered part. Theses were made and registered before the the cut off date in 1983. Current prices run about $25,000 and up. Anything else is illegal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can legally buy and use a RDIAS, not a DIAS. The difference being the Registered part. Theses were made and registered before the the cut off date in 1983. Current prices run about $25,000 and up. Anything else is illegal.
View Quote
This.

And fellas, just because somebody wants to buy an auto sear doesn't mean they want to do so illegally. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be wrong, but the ATF may frown upon putting an RDIAS in your AR 10. I've read that MGI's replacable front magwell systen is considered acceptable though.

IMO, it shouldn't matter what your RDIAS goes in, afterall, it's the registered part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, those things are incredibly expensive. Let me just win the lottery real quick and I’ll do it. Just kidding, but guess a RDIAS won’t be in my near future. Figured id Atleast look into it, I remember being in the Corps and shooting the M249 which is 5.56 and thinking “I have my AR10 at home, that would be badass if it was full auto”. I think it’s funny how the military gets all these full autos but they limit us civilians on having them so much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geez, those things are incredibly expensive. Let me just win the lottery real quick and I’ll do it. Just kidding, but guess a RDIAS won’t be in my near future. Figured id Atleast look into it, I remember being in the Corps and shooting the M249 which is 5.56 and thinking “I have my AR10 at home, that would be badass if it was full auto”. I think it’s funny how the military gets all these full autos but they limit us civilians on having them so much.
View Quote
Expensive, but still more legal than a bumpstock!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Btw, if you're medically discharged, send your forms to Stryker and get your tags and globe and anchor

Txl
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you looked into a binary trigger? They have three positions for the safety. Safe, semi and fire on pull/fire on release. They're not considered machineguns by the ATF, but you can easily run 600RPM for a magazine.

Franklin and Fostech have designs available. They will set you back s little over $300 and function like a regular semi auto trigger anytime you're not in the third position.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Teenagers can't get NFA from a dealer anyway.

form 4 ok
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Not crazy, just not as feasible as you might want or think...
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't imagine there aren't RDIAS or LLs for AR10 patterns, but I've never seen them.

They also aren't going to be as cheap or dropin as an AR15 RDIAS or LL.
View Quote
Yup and these days a RDIAS is not cheap for the AR15 rifles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I haven't tracked FA stuff lately, but they're currently $25-30k IIRC
View Quote
I would suspect that if a RDIAS showed up for an AR10, you would be north of 40K  They are not common..
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but the ATF may frown upon putting an RDIAS in your AR 10. I've read that MGI's replacable front magwell systen is considered acceptable though.

IMO, it shouldn't matter what your RDIAS goes in, afterall, it's the registered part.
View Quote
I had heard the same thing can anyone confirm? Read about someone trying it before and being told no. Think they said a similar ruling had been made for a fnc sear in a scar but it’s been a long time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but the ATF may frown upon putting an RDIAS in your AR 10.
View Quote
I have been doing NFA for over 30 years, and I am yet to inform ATF what guns my sears go in, and have no legal obligation to do so. I think the bigger issue is finding a lower that is drop-in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I may very well be wrong, however IIRC the ATF does not permit modifying a DIAS to function in an AR-10 due to the DIAS being specifically designed to function with an AR-15.
*ETA* missed jaqufrost post*
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe the Colt 901 and MGI lowers are the only option for shooting 308 with the AR15 style RDIAS. The Colt will almost certainly have a high shelf and require milling to accommodate the RDIAS.

Picture of an AR10 DIAS.

The article indicates they are not aware of any transferable
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/ar10autoconnector.html

@OP, just make sure you do your research. MGs are a pay to play hobby, you pay a lot of money for a piece of paper to keep your rear end out of prison. The last thing you want to do is spend your 20s (arguably the best years of your life) in the slammer because you were messing around with full auto without the proper paperwork. Transferable MGs seem expensive but with the right mindset even avg joes can afford one. I bought my first when I was 27 and there are folks much younger than that who own them as well, they actually make for a decent investment so I don't see it as money wasted, I just view it as an alternative investment, kind of like a classic car, you take it out for a drive a few times a year on a sunny summer day but rest of the year it tucked away in the garage, constantly increasing in value due to the rarity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I believe the Colt 901 and MGI lowers are the only option for shooting 308 with the AR15 style RDIAS. The Colt will almost certainly have a high shelf and require milling to accommodate the RDIAS.

Picture of an AR10 DIAS.
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/ar10autoconnector_02_small.jpg
The article indicates they are not aware of any transferable
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/ar10autoconnector.html
View Quote
I believe that is more correctly an auto connector.  Instead of holding the hammer back until the carrier closes, it tips down onto the back of the disconnector when the carrier closes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I believe that is more correctly an auto connector.  Instead of holding the hammer back until the carrier closes, it tips down onto the back of the disconnector when the carrier closes.
View Quote
Yeah it doesn't appear to have sear in a position that could grab the hook on a M16 style hammer. I'm guessing it converts a standard semi-auto trigger to full-auto only.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
My factory Colt 901 is milled identically to an SP1. Any RDIAS should fit and function perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I took my RDIAS to Cabelas a few years ago and it fit inside a DPMS GII lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#25]
A few weeks ago, someone was selling RDIAS for $40k on EE.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Aside from the money issue... AR-10 conversions to full auto are a pain.

If you want a full auto 7.62x51, there's better options out there in my opinion.   Shoulder fired lighter rifles are a pain to control.  G3s, 17s, AR10s, etc... they aren't nearly as fun as you may expect.  Heavy guns are a different world (M60, etc).
View Quote
True and why I have not bothered to get a selectfire battle rifle. I'm happy with my full auto 1919 and MG42. I can almost carry the MG42 on my run and gun course when I use the 50 round drum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Join date post count
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I will offer a minority counterpoint to hand-held/shoulder-fired 308s machineguns as I find them a ton of fun.

One of my favorite machineguns is my HK51 but I still love to run the full size G3 as well.  I actually just bought a transferable SAR-48/FAL converted to DSA-OSW to act as a stand in for the 51 when my HK sears are set up in other guns.

I have a 60 as well that is a great shooter but its a totally different experience shooting a bigger/heavier beltfed vs. a small sub 10lbs handheld 308.  One of these days I need to get the 21 conversion kit for my 23EK and a LE901 and SBR it.

I will admit that should-fired/hand-held 308s are definitely polarizing from an opinion perspective and folks seem to either love or leave them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will offer a minority counterpoint to hand-held/shoulder-fired 308s machineguns as I find them a ton of fun.

One of my favorite machineguns is my HK51 but I still love to run the full size G3 as well.  I actually just bought a transferable SAR-48/FAL converted to DSA-OSW to act as a stand in for the 51 when my HK sears are set up in other guns.

I have a 60 as well that is a great shooter but its a totally different experience shooting a bigger/heavier beltfed vs. a small sub 10lbs handheld 308.  One of these days I need to get the 21 conversion kit for my 23EK and a LE901 and SBR it.

I will admit that should-fired/hand-held 308s are definitely polarizing from an opinion perspective and folks seem to either love or leave them.
View Quote
Most pleasant FA gun I've ever fired was a MK-48 light-weight 7.62 machinegun... shot it with a "predator pack" of 500 rds hanging on my back, fed through a feed-chute that went over my shoulder and down. But that was military R&D work... unfortunately the common man will likley never even see one, let alone shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top