Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2018 9:25:25 PM EDT
I had an old DH-132B Combat Vehical Crewman ballistic helmet sitting around and decided to test it out. This is a Kevlar helmet, about the same thickness as an ACH. It is used in combination with comms equipment by vehicle crewmen. It was a popular choice as a cheap high-cut ballistic helmet. Prices have increased however and the shells are increasingly scarce as they're bought up. They also require modification to use the standard ACH suspension system, namely the drilling of 4 holes for the screws.

This particular helmet was one that was modified with 4 holes to use an ACH style suspension system and an NVG bracket hole. The helmet is fairly weathered, with nicks in the rubber rim seal and plenty of general wear. Technically the helmets as-manufactured integrity has already been compromised by the drilling of the 5 extra holes. With that in mind I set out to see if these helmets truly provide adequate protection from handgun threats.

The DH-123B shell is rated as having a V50 of 2150 FPS against a 17gr fragment simulation projectile. The Kevlar it is composed of appears to be a 1.7 ounce or slightly heavier weave, perhaps a 2 ounce weave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Parameters:

The helmet had 5 standard ACH pads affixed on the inside, 3 in the front. The helmet rested on a heavy sandbag filled with fine sand, with the sandbag filling out the interior of the helmet. The chinstrap was affixed around the bag and tightened. All shots were taken at a distance of around 9 to 10 feet. 3 shots were placed in the front of the helmet, one in the back.

The rounds fired at the helmet are as follows, in order from first to last:
  • 1 .380 ACP 95gr FMJ
  • 3 .327 Fed. Mag. 100gr jacketed soft point
All rounds failed to penetrate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helmet after shot 1, .380 ACP FMJ:

Helmet after shot 2, .327 Federal Magnum:

Helmet after shot 3, .327 Federal Magnum:

Helmet after shot 4, .327 Federal Magnum. This shot was placed in the back side of the helmet:

Inside front of helmet. Most severe deformation was UNDER 44mm:

The one recovered slug, the .380 FMJ. It bounced off the helmet. Yes, you read that correctly, it bounced off:

All rounds failed to penetrate fully and none caused worrying shell deformation. The .380 bullet literally bounced off the front of the helmet, creating a light dimple. All .327 Federal Magnum rounds penetrated into the helmet shell but were stopped at some point, likely less than halfway through the helmet shell. I have yet to recover the slugs, cutting the helmet apart to examine it will take some time.

What I think this test speaks to most is the durability of U.S. made military spec ballistic helmets. Many concerns have been raised about the ballistic integrity of helmets such as this and the ACH when DIY mods are done to the helmet shell, such as drilling holes or cutting off the ears of an ACH to create a high-cut helmet. While I only have a sample size of one and this was not a particularly scientific test I think this should put some of those fears to rest. These helmets are incredibly durable and can sustain loads of punishment.

The DIY addition of the NVG hole and suspension holes appears to have had no demonstrable effect on the helmets ballistic integrity, with two of the frontal shots impacting less than inch and half away from the DIY NVG bracket hole. The one rear shot impacted within two inches of one of the DIY suspension holes.

In regards as to whether or not these helmets provide adequate protection from handgun rounds, it is my opinion that they do indeed provide adequate protection on par with that of other popular ballistic helmets such as the ACH.

Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine it would also stop a 9mm, based in the relative velocity between the. 327 and the 9. Velocity is what defeats armor, and the .327 has plenty of it.

Looks like that helmet is not a bad option for a cheap ballistic unit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd imagine it would also stop a 9mm, based in the relative velocity between the. 327 and the 9. Velocity is what defeats armor, and the .327 has plenty of it.

Looks like that helmet is not a bad option for a cheap ballistic unit.
View Quote
I should probably mention my .327 is a Ruger LCR, so super short barrel. I had originally intended to shoot 9mm at it but I'm an idiot and forgot my Glock at home.

Still, I have no doubt the helmet would defeat 9mm. I've only gotten through about 6 or 7 layers of Kevlar in one of the .327 impacts but I still haven't found the slug. It's in there, but not that far. 9mm should be a breeze to stop.

ETA: Gun Digest claims they chronoed the same load I used, American Eagle 100gr .327 Federal Magnum, at 1300 fps in the Ruger LCR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]

cool write up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool test.  But, in fairness...

View Quote
If you didn't test on a clay headform, you have no way of knowing.  Permanent shell deformation and BFD are two different things.

Also, typical helmet testing specifications only allow 25.4mm BFD for front and back shots and 16mm for side and crown shots.  (But, of course, these testing protocols also allow for pads, which are very effective at reducing BFD --- unless they're too small and too stiff, in which case the impact pushes the pads into the clay headform.)

With all of that said, the helmet seems to be in pretty good shape!  Hit it with a .44 Magnum and see what happens, eh?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you didn't test on a clay headform, you have no way of knowing.  Permanent shell deformation and BFD are two different things.

Also, typical helmet testing specifications only allow 25.4mm BFD for front and back shots and 16mm for side and crown shots.  (But, of course, these testing protocols also allow for pads, which are very effective at reducing BFD --- unless they're too small and too stiff, in which case the impact pushes the pads into the clay headform.)

With all of that said, the helmet seems to be in pretty good shape!  Hit it with a .44 Magnum and see what happens, eh?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's what I was referring to. I'm well aware of the limitations here. Point being this shell is used, old, and was drilled multiple times in a DIY manner and still stopped multiple hits effectively. The single hit in the back was easily under 25mm in permanent deformation and the area was not covered by a pad. I'd have to go measure it but I'd say it was under 16mm, there's barely a bump. The large bubble in the front was the third shot, so the front was already compromised.

Sadly I don't have anything larger than a .327 in handguns and that won't be changing anytime soon, so no .44 mag tests or anything really punishing for the foreseeable future. Guess I could start throwing 12ga slugs at this stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top