Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2018 10:07:03 PM EDT
Setting up a dedicated night pistol, probably a P229 with a 45 can till I pick out a 9mm can.

It may end up with a RMR piggybacked as well.

Which of these lights/lasers is better? They’re priced close enough to consider either.

ETA: durability and zero retention are super high on my list of priorities. Tired of my stuff breaking and/or losing zero.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a X400V from Arms Unlimited about a year ago and its been on my FNX45 since. The white light isn't super bright (only 150 lumens) but still very usable for a handgun and the IR light and laser are excellent. I've only fired about 20 rds under nods but its very fun.

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’re planning to put an RMR on it anyways, I would skip the IR laser entirely, and go with an X300-series, possibly the X300V if you want IR illumination.

IMHO, the RDS is far and away the better solution for IR aiming with a pistol, and integrated units like the ones you’ve listed simply add cost and complexity—both mechanically, and from a training standpoint.

~Augee
View Quote
Tell us more please.  (RDS vs IR)
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you’re planning to put an RMR on it anyways, I would skip the IR laser entirely, and go with an X300-series, possibly the X300V if you want IR illumination.

IMHO, the RDS is far and away the better solution for IR aiming with a pistol, and integrated units like the ones you’ve listed simply add cost and complexity—both mechanically, and from a training standpoint.

~Augee
View Quote
Agreed, ive shot with both and prefer the RMR on my pistol. Unless a rifle which you hold closer to your head making looking through the red dot difficult, with a pistol you hold it at arms length and bring it up to eye level so looking through the RMR is easy. Just make sure you pick up one with adjustable power as you will run it on the lowest setting otherwise it will just bloom and not be of any use. Also don't use tritium sights, NODs will just turn the light glow into a bright mess.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
How well do the tritium and fiber optic RMRs work under nods?

I really prefer those over battery models.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
An IR laser/illuminator negates the need for a red dot at night. Lase the target and let er buck.

An RMR is useful during the day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
With my PVS14, I run a X400V-B-IRC 350 lumen white light on my G19 along with a RMR 06. I primarily use the RMR for sighting (espically in a no light situation) and white light (same setup in my primary) should the lighting environment suddenly change. I use the IR laser/illuminator as backup to my RMR/RDS.

As far problems I had a NOS X400V -A 150 lumen white light go tits up sitting in the safe with zero round count. Surefire did warranty replace it without question. Other problems that I have heard people complain about was the switch plastic covers come off. I have  easily 3 thousand plus rounds on one of mine and it holds zero very well and has also been removed several times also. Another similar LAM to consider is the StreamLight TLR2 IR/IR or IR laser/ white light. As far as holsters go there are a few people that will custom make one for you for @ 65.00. With the NV market being very small in the shooting world not many manufacturers will want to produce/tool up for a product withsuch a small percentage of the shooting market, so custom may be the best way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not much more to tell, hahaha, to a certain extent, it's just my opinion--but then again, while the market has embraced Class I IR lasers, IR pistol lasers don't exactly seem to be a "runaway hit"--I would almost even venture to wager that more X400Vs end up being used on carbines/PCCs (or a "technically-a-pistol-because-it-has-a-brace-not-a-stock" pseudo-SBR) than on pistols.

As always--to be fair, what I'm about to say will apply primarily to "tactical" users, if you're swatting field mice at 25 yards with your suppressed .22 Ruger, what I'm saying might not apply quite as much, and your experiences may in fact be the total opposite, so there's that.

Nevertheless, I think there are a couple different things that are coming into play when we talk about pistol mounted RDS versus IR lasers:

First, as others have pointed out--even for guys that still rail against passive shooting of long guns using NV compatible optics, the general consensus seems to be that assuming you have a red dot on your pistol--you should use it while shooting under NV, even for guys who insist that NV is a lasers-only game when it comes to carbines.

With that, cost comes in to play--in a basic context you can: buy an RDS which many believe will improve your shooting, night and day, or you can buy an IR laser device which will may only be useful at night when you're shooting with NODs, which sadly, is not when most people, even those that own NV, shoot.

Obviously, I've been a proponent of passive NV aiming regardless, so it's perhaps natural that this would appeal to me as well, but shooting through a pistol mounted RDS, as others have mentioned, now at the end of your hand, not tucked into your shoulder alleviates much of the "conflict" between equipment and weapon that can make it difficult to execute with a long gun, at which points, you have all the other benefits of passive aiming, namely no active IR emissions, and consistency in presentation day/night--you only need to develop one set of reflexes, if you learn to shoot a pistol with a red dot during the day, you shouldn't need to "learn" to use it at night, because the first time you bring that pistol up  the dot will be there in front of you. Again, I've been advocating more people try their monoculars over their dominant eye, but even if you're still on the non-dom train, the whole "two images merging" thing will take care of you, especially at pistol engagement distances.

On top of that, there's the whole self-fulfilling and cyclical question of ancillary support, namely in the case of pistols--holsters.

The X400V? Okay... there are some holsters out there for 'em, DBAL? Have fun with that, brother.

Yeah, so, if no one uses them, no one's going to make holsters for them, but no one is going to use them if no one makes holsters for them...

Yeah, you can roll your own, or maybe get someone else to make one for you, but not everyone wants to/is willing to go through that, and not everyone necessarily trusts home-folded Kydex holsters for duty use. Concealed carry? Sure--the Kydex holster market is perfect for that, but for duty use? Except, if you're wearing NODs... you're not exactly being sneaky in the same way as when you're carrying concealed, though I suppose they're both sneaky in their own way.

So then why/how do a lot of "duty" holsters get made? Well, kinda because someone is actually using them, and by "someone," I mean someone big enough to get the Safarilands of the world to actually make a holster for that specific combination. So who's that and what's it mean? I'll tell you straight up--I doubt things like the "Roland Special" would be so popular had it not been for the Safariland 6354DO, and that holster wasn't just made because Safariland decided "hey, you know what we should really do? Make a holster for a 9/40 Glock, but with a little pocket for a dovetail mounted Docter Optic..."

Which, and I'm not usually a fan of this kind of "appeal to authority," but it begs the question: if pistol mounted IR lasers were so good, where are all the holsters for them? We're talking, after all, about guys that pride themselves on doing almost everything under the cover of darkness these days. Sure, they've used things like Crimson Trace IR units that don't need a special holster, but again, for whatever reason, all these seemingly "purpose built" IR pistol laser systems never seem to have much staying power in the market.

Anyways, exiting off that detour again--how do most people like to shoot in the dark if they can? Suppressed--lordy lord, if you thought it was tough finding a holster to accommodate your gun and a DBAL, have fun finding one that will let you carry a suppressor, too. I dunno, but I wanna say if you're not shooting a 9/40 Glock and happen to be right-handed, and therefore can use the Crye GunClip, you might just be SOL.

So... the laser's not really any better functionally than just using the RDS, plus you've added extra parts and extra switches, plus you probably have to account for much more mechanical offset, plus you can't really carry the thing, especially not suppressed, unless you want to put a sling on it or something, or hold it in your hands the whole damn time, which is not what most people want to do with their pistols, even if they're not planning on shooting anything else.

Meanwhile, the OP in this particular case has even already said that they're considering putting an RMR on it anyways, so it's not even like I'm trying to convince them to get on the pistol RDS train and using NV as a cookie--they're already most of the way there, at which point, if they're already ready to spend the money to buy an X400V or DBAL-PL, may as well put that money towards the best RDS and mounting job they can get and get daylight and NV effectiveness in one.

~Augee
View Quote
Your post is appreciated. I asked solely because I was curious about your opinion.
I realized that I didn’t really have a strong opinion either way in this matter.
This has prompted me to go with a timer and see which is faster/more accurate for me.
I believe that a greatly overlooked point is that pistols are generally a secondary side arm if one is “tactically” going out with NODs. I think it’s very likely that if one has gone to that (main gun is down) then a lot things have already gone very wrong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the X400VIR, and like it quite a bit. Easy to operate. Multiple options for laser with ir light, laser only, white light only, etc. Have used it once, in a pinch, on a carbine with a tape switch, and that worked okay. Fits just right on a 5" PPQ. Nothing not to like.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
One very important thing to consider before taking the plunge of milling your slide, getting the slide coated, forking out money for a RMR, is to see if it's something you like and willing to continue to constantly train with. There is a definite learning curve on presentation of a RDS mounted sidearm that requires a lot of on going repetition to master and maintain especially in unconventional shooting positions. Throw trying to aim under NODs in a "No Light" condition into the mix and things can get real interesting very fast. Developing and maintaining a natural point of aim is crucial to using a RDS on a handgun. If this does not appeal to you then a pistol mounted LAM maybe a better option. One of the most important discipline I learned is to slow your draw down @ 80% which makes the dot appear instantly upon your target.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input everyone, especially Augee. You guys have more time under nods than I ever will.

My logic behind having the RMR and IR laser is just redundancy. My current TLR-whatever with the white light and IR laser lost zero at CWTXIII. I spent my whole first pistol mag figuring out that my holdover was about a foot and a half high and 8" right. It was 100% dead on at 25 yards just the weekend before. I'd like to be able to check that my stuff is zero'd when I'm getting my gear setup for the night, whether its coyote hunting, general night scouting, or making a CW run. Although, now that I think about it, if I had iron sights that cowitnessed with a red dot, I could just check it that way.

As far as the fiber optic vs adjustable RMR, the appeal of the fiber optic is that its not going to flicker and the battery isn't going to crash right when I need it. I've had a few of these things flicker on me. Maybe I just go the older ones, I don't know. I can shuffle around optics and have a leftover RMR-06. I think I might do that, just to try it out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input everyone, especially Augee. You guys have more time under nods than I ever will.

My logic behind having the RMR and IR laser is just redundancy. My current TLR-whatever with the white light and IR laser lost zero at CWTXIII. I spent my whole first pistol mag figuring out that my holdover was about a foot and a half high and 8" right. It was 100% dead on at 25 yards just the weekend before. I'd like to be able to check that my stuff is zero'd when I'm getting my gear setup for the night, whether its coyote hunting, general night scouting, or making a CW run. Although, now that I think about it, if I had iron sights that cowitnessed with a red dot, I could just check it that way.

As far as the fiber optic vs adjustable RMR, the appeal of the fiber optic is that its not going to flicker and the battery isn't going to crash right when I need it. I've had a few of these things flicker on me. Maybe I just go the older ones, I don't know. I can shuffle around optics and have a leftover RMR-06. I think I might do that, just to try it out.
View Quote
I've never had a problem with my RMR 07 holding zero, so to verify my IR laser zero all I do is overlap the RDS (on NV mode) to my IR laser at the furthest distant I can see under NV, now your hold overs will be the same.
As far as the flickering RMR 1.0  battery problem, I've found using Sony 2032, bending the battery tab and using a sealing plate cured the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top