Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 11:37:15 AM EDT
Looking at a 557 in 30-06, the manners stock version, for a hunting rifle.

The price is a smoking deal, my only concern is the 20 inch barrel is short, but it's good enough for the hunting I'll use it for.

I bought a cz over/under without having ever seen or shot one and am very happy with it, hope a 557 will be the same.  
Limited reviews online and I've never even seen one - anybody own one and have an opinion?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty hard to not like a modern Mauser bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Solid guns.  I have a 527 FS, the 223 version.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been intrigued by one for a while but just don't get out hunting enough to justify throwing down for a CZ bolt gun.  I had a 527 in 7.62x39 for a while and it was an awesome little rifle, however I just never used it and it needed a better home than collecting dust in my safe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the proprietary cz rings?  Any issues with them?

Any ideas what sort of velocity you lose with a 20in instead of 24in barrel in 30-06?  I've never hunted somewhere you could shoot over 300yd so it doesn't matter, but such a short barrel seems wrong!  The 30-06 is the only caliber on sale for so cheap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any ideas what sort of velocity you lose with a 20in instead of 24in barrel in 30-06?  I've never hunted somewhere you could shoot over 300yd so it doesn't matter, but such a short barrel seems wrong!  The 30-06 is the only caliber on sale for so cheap.
View Quote
get it. youll be fine under 300yds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
EGW makes a rail that gives you a picatinny base.  I use the Leupold rings for the CZ receiver on my 550 and I like that I don't need a base.   I have had no issues when I remove the scope and then put it back on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
EGW makes a rail that gives you a picatinny base.  I use the Leupold rings for the CZ receiver on my 550 and I like that I don't need a base.   I have had no issues when I remove the scope and then put it back on.
View Quote
I saw that rail, just seems like more screws to come loose and more height under your scope.

Do you have the medium or high leupold rings and what size scope?  Looks like medium leupold rings will fit a 40-44mm scope easily?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered mine today.  Buds has the 30-06 manners version on clearance for $702, a pretty amazing price.
It's even a few $ cheaper at some other places apparently:
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703048208

Now is the time to buy if you want one - those prices are a few hundred $ less than even the mil discount price.

The CZ aluminum rings are the lowest from what I can find out online.  Anybody use them?  
Does anybody know the height of the leupold medium rings?  Their website doesn't list the heights that I can find.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ makes good guns, I’d buy it if the price was right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
medium Leupold rings for a Leupold 6x36.  I can slide a 9mm bullet between the objective end and the barrel.  I saw someone use the EGW base for an EO Tech, but I don't really have a use for it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
medium Leupold rings for a Leupold 6x36.  I can slide a 9mm bullet between the objective end and the barrel.  
View Quote
Thanks for the data point!  
How much adjustment fore-aft does your scope have?  
I'm thinking a vx-r 3-9x40, it's about 1/2 inch shorter than yours where the rings mount - would that be a problem?

If it helps anybody else, I came across a consolidated list of ring heights for apparently all rings made for CZs:
http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Ringmounts_list_.pdf

There is one ring not listed there, the CZ aluminum rings in 30mm, they are 0.383 height per CZ's website.  These are the lowest I can find and what I am going with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
From outside to outside of the rings there is up to 5.25 inches.  The front ring can move fore/aft a little to adjust for different scopes.  Of course, the rear is lock into a recess and is going nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From outside to outside of the rings there is up to 5.25 inches.  The front ring can move fore/aft a little to adjust for different scopes.  
View Quote
You say "up to".... what is the shortest scope you could mount?  
I am considering one scope that is 5.0 inches maximum distance between outside of rings - would it fit?  
Do you know if the external dimensions of the 550 and 557 actions are the same?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re not giving up much.  In fact if you actually get into brush and thicker woods the long barrel is a hindrance.   Certainly works for 300.   They shoot 18” sniper setups at 1000.  Not the common length chosen but it works.

I also have a 527, their mini Mauser.  Nice guns.

If I had to replace hunting guns today I’d look at cZ, tikka, and savage. I use a Fn clone of a win model 70;and a rem model 7.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My rings are at 4 3/4 from the back edge of the ring to the front edge of the ring.  It could be brought back a bit and
I think you could get it down to 4 5/8
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My rings are at 4 3/4 from the back edge of the ring to the front edge of the ring.
View Quote
Thanks a ton for all the info, it's a big help!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
So my ffl buddy has the gun and the 3-9x vx-r with leupold rings showed up.  The Leupold rings are steel.

any experience with the leupold rings?  I.e. Do they need lapping or no?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty hard to not like a modern Mauser bolt action.
View Quote
The CZ 557s are push-feeds, not CRF like true Mausers. That's the 550 line, which, as I understand it, CZ is cutting back on as far as cartridge/chambering selection goes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The CZ 557s are push-feeds, not CRF like true Mausers. That's the 550 line, which, as I understand it, CZ is cutting back on as far as cartridge/chambering selection goes.
View Quote
Yep.  The 550 line is now limited to pretty much their specialty rifles: the dangerous game rifles, Ultimate Hunting Rifle, Badlands Rifle, 750 Sniper, and the H.E.T. II Magnum.

They do still have the 527 series which uses a Mauser action for the small calibers like 5.56/223, 204 Ruger, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, etc.  AFAIK there are no plans to replace that line any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got to pick it up today.  In case it helps anybody, the leupold medium rings are more than tall enough for the 3-9x40 vx-r I got for it.  I wish the rings were a bit shorter even.

Never had a manners stock, it is extremely light.  There was a paper from the factory for the barreled action - it seems cz-USA orders the barreled actions and installs them in the stocks in Kansas.

Going to the range this weekend and then hunting next week.  Haven't shot it yet, but so far it seems to be a good deal at the $700 buds price.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top