Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2020 7:50:28 AM EDT
Last year Black Friday I ordered a cva accura v2 PR.  It's the nitrided barrel and camo stock.  Looks like a nice gun.  I out a 30mm illuminated Leupold 3-9 scope on it.  I wanted to try and have read good about black horn so I purchased the black horn breech.  I have tried charge weights from 80-120 grains using the Barnes TMZ, powerbelt aerolite, Hornady sst and the Thompson center projectiles.  I just ordered and I'll try the Barnes spitfire 245gr and the 285 gr.  I've been using the cci Magnum primers.  My best results are 2" at 50yds. I don't believe it's me I've shot my old muzzleloader in the past that would tear a ragged hole at 50 and shoot 1.5" at 100.  I've swapped optics with same results.  So the leupold is good to go.   Anyone have suggestions for loads on this particular rifle?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
try the powerbullets

https://www.amazon.com/CVA-PowerBelt-Copper-AeroTip-AC1595AT/dp/B00E8MGS84

I had the best luck with them and standard goex 2f 90gr ..

Kills deer and leaves a large blood trail.. they don't run more a few steps if that..

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Fence post?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Fence post?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fence post?
View Quote

I misread the last question when I read it on my phone and was just being silly. I thought the last question asked about a use, but see it says load.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Exact same rifle I use for whitetails. Furthest shot thus far was about 125-130 yards and dropped right there. My preferred load is 110gr of Triple Seven and a 240gr XTP Mag in a black Harvester sabot. Lots of deer taken with this load. It is far from a long range ballistic wonder but boy does it work well. Buy the bullets and sabots by the hundred as separate components and save money over buying the prepackaged muzzleloading components.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Optima V2... basically the same barrel as yours less one polishing step (mine's stainless though).
Current pet load is 2 777 pellets under a 300gr .44 XTP in a green Harvester Crush-rib sabot, Remington Kleenbore or Winchester 209 primers.

1" groups at 100 yards.  Have taken deer from 40 yards to 250 with it, using the combo'd KonusPro scope.

Also groups 295gr powerbelts about the same, maybe slightly better, at 100... but I'm cheap and bulk bullets/sabots are so much cheaper than powerbelts...
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I did try some of the 240 grain XTP hollow points. I used 100 grains of black horn powder and the CCI Magnum primer. Shot very well at 50 yd my three shot groups were ragged tears. And I used the harvester crush sabot. I've used this load before except with triple seven and the Hornady sabots in a TC black diamond back in the day and it performed very well. I guess I was just looking for a more aerodynamic bullet because they offer them. I've never shot a deer in Indiana past 100 yards and don't need that but I guess I just thought the grass was greener on the other side.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont have the nitride version but my accura likes a remington 209 premier sts primer, 2 white hots pellets, and a 250gr powerbelt aerolite.  I never measured the grouping but it damn near clover leaves at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did try some of the 240 grain XTP hollow points. I used 100 grains of black horn powder and the CCI Magnum primer. Shot very well at 50 yd my three shot groups were ragged tears. And I used the harvester crush sabot. I've used this load before except with triple seven and the Hornady sabots in a TC black diamond back in the day and it performed very well. I guess I was just looking for a more aerodynamic bullet because they offer them. I've never shot a deer in Indiana past 100 yards and don't need that but I guess I just thought the grass was greener on the other side.
View Quote

Yes, there are many more aerodynamic long range options available. The cream of the crop for aerodynamics back in the day was PR Bullets out of Canada, fellow by the name of Cecil. I haven't used them for deer but I know someone who does and he likes them. I'm sure there are other, probably better, options these days.

ETA: after a quick search, PR Bullet is stil around, though for shorter ranges I still like the XTP. For longer range the 300gr Barnes Expanders should be an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
This year I finally got my Acura to shoot well.  90gr of Blackhorn and Scorpion PT golds.  About a 1" group.  If you want to stay with the CVA brand try the new ELR bullets .  I ran about 5 through it last week with the same charge and they grouped around a quarter sized hole.  They were designed for the new Paramount Rifle.  It has a 1/16 twist and I believe the Acura has the 1/28 twist.  They seem to shoot well out of a number of CVA guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my hunting buddies just told me today that he loves his new Optima because it clover leafs at 100 yards. He bought the powder breech plug and is using 777 powder and 250gr Hornady SST sabots. I was glad to hear it because I finally ordered one the other day after going back and forth between buying it or an Accura. I'll see how it does with Blackhorn 209 when it gets here.

ETA: His is not nitrided. The one I ordered is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top