Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2020 4:43:23 PM EDT
I have an 870 that I am wanting to cut down.  I have two different barrels that I can cut down.  It came with a 20" smooth barrel, but has rifle sights on it.  The other is smooth boor with just the bead.  I am wanting to cut it down to 14".  Was wondering how I would go about replacing the front sight.  I know they used to braze them on, but I haven't found where I could buy a new one.  Do I simply heat it up and take it off the part I cut off?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I did that. Sanded the barrel, used the right epoxy, spent some time and did it right. Lost the front sight probably on the 3rd shot.

Braze, pin and weld, or forget DIY.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
First, you understand the barrels will be cylinder bore after you cut them.  You didn't say, but I'll guess both do not have a vented rib.  So, you can get a bead sight, drill, and tap and put a bead on either.  Likely, Brownell's or a similar company will have the needed tools.  

My Mossberg rifle sight is brazed on, not sure about a Remington, but you can tell by just looking at the barrel.  If it's brazed on, then heat will be needed to remove it and braze it back on.  You may have issues with the sight height since you 're moving it to a different location on a tapered barrel.

The tools to do this well might exceed to cost of just having a gunsmith do the work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Just send it to Josh Herring of Cotton Branch Customs. He is the expert authority for anything SBS, and hands down the most reasonably priced shotgun-smith out there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#4]
Drill hole, tap, screw in new bead sight.  Screw it in with some red loctite or JB weld. Easy. Cheap. It's usually some stupid thread, too ... like #5-87

Do the math and get the sight height right before the install or just get a taller sight and file it down later.

I cut a barrel once with a hacksaw once and squared it up on a mill. Never even took it out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 2:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#5]

I used a pipe cutter to simply etch a straight line around the barrel. Hack saw to cut. Then flat file to finish. Bought a front bead sight from Brownells with the drill/tap included for a small price. I used an auto center punch to mark the spot for the sight to drill. Maybe not 100% perfect, but she shoots fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it to guncat.

https://roseactionsports.com/
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 6:54:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
Send it to guncat.

View Quote

I had him do this, and would again.12.5” 870 20gauge.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for that picture of the 12.5 inch barreled gun. I have an extra 870 I was thinking of cutting down. Held a tape measure up to it and wondered why most people go 14" when you can go 12.5."

I guess to get one more round in the tube?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Thanks for that picture of the 12.5 inch barreled gun. I have an extra 870 I was thinking of cutting down. Held a tape measure up to it and wondered why most people go 14" when you can go 12.5."

View Quote

Probably cause 14” barrels are common due to the tac14 and shockwave. I have an SBS 870 and it’s right about 12.5. Makes it flush with the standard tube
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 2:27:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#10]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

View Quote

I wanted to go as short as I could without messing with the mag tube (I’m cheap). If I’m paying for a stamp it should be as short as possible.

ETA: I also cut maybe 1.5” off of the stock.

ETA2: He threaded it for chokes as well, and it patterns great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks for all the info and pics
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

I had him do this, and would again.https://i.imgur.com/chLu4OD.jpg12.5” 870 20gauge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
Send it to guncat.

I had him do this, and would again.https://i.imgur.com/chLu4OD.jpg12.5” 870 20gauge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

870 vent rib I cut down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top