Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2018 1:58:21 PM EDT
I need to shorten a Stoeger coachgun 12G SxS (form1 approved).

I'm pretty sure I would butcher it with hand tools.

I do have a miter saw -- is that a good option, and if so, what kind of blade would be needed for a clean cut?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a band saw and clean it with small hand files but you can do it with a miter saw and  metal blade and just clean it up with a small round file. I am sure there are a ton of ways to do it, all that really matters is a good straight cut.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Modern metal miter saws use a carbide blade and will cut very cleanly.  Time to upgrade.  Makita

Otherwise, use a band saw and clean it up with files. 

Be prepared to braze the barrels together, it is possible they aren't attached where you are going to be cutting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be prepared to braze the barrels together, it is possible they aren't attached where you are going to be cutting.
View Quote
This especially.
Even if they're attached great, the dress work and filling in the area between the barrel ribs is way more work than the actual cutting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used a angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel for several shotgun barrels and it works well. After the cut the ends are dressed/squared up with a file.

Filling the rib between the barrels is a pain. I made a dam out of steel wool then filled the rest of the rib with solder. Once that was done I cold blued the affected areas.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
We always used a hack saw. Very slowly. Then sweeten it up with some files, sand paper, and steel wool. Touch up with cold blue
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
In before somebody pipes up with Rigid pipe cutter
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Pipe cutter wouldn't work on a SxS
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before somebody pipes up with Rigid pipe cutter
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I cut one back yesterday with a pipe cutter.  Then reamed the burr off with a file.

Not gonna work on a SxS.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Any reason he couldn't use a mill with something like an end cutter?

Never tried it on a SG barrel, but seen it done to a cylinder sleeve in a machine shop. Walls not much thicker than a good SG barrel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any reason he couldn't use a mill with something like an end cutter?

Never tried it on a SG barrel, but seen it done to a cylinder sleeve in a machine shop. Walls not much thicker than a good SG barrel.
View Quote
You could....but cutting the muzzles on the mill will take some ingenuity to hold the barrels and ensure the muzzle (not the outside of the tapered barrels) are square to the bore.

Getting the muzzle squared to the bore is the important part and using the piloted facing cutter that Dano523 shows in the video above is the easy way to do it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, you can rent the facing tool Here, at 4D tool rentals for $24  If you don't want to buy.

I have no association with them other than as a customer, service and tools have always been A+
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, you can rent the facing tool Here, at 4D tool rentals for $24  If you don't want to buy.

I have no association with them other than as a customer, service and tools have always been A+
View Quote
I'm only planning to cut the one, so this looks like a winner.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have done it.  A miter saw with a metal blade will work. Shotgun barrel steel is fairly soft.

Just need a long wide metal file and a square to even it out.

If you are going for minimum length start out at least 18 3/4.  By the time you dress it up you may be near 18 1/2.

And you may need to braze or silver solder the rib to the barrels
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have done it.  A miter saw with a metal blade will work. Shotgun barrel steel is fairly soft.

Just need a long wide metal file and a square to even it out.

If you are going for minimum length start out at least 18 3/4.  By the time you dress it up you may be near 18 1/2.

And you may need to braze or silver solder the rib to the barrels
View Quote
It's going shorter than that, the form 1 has 11" for the barrel length, so I'll try to cut for 11.25".  Technically, I'll make a practice cut farther up, just so I know what to expect, then cut at 11.25
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need to shorten a Stoeger coachgun 12G SxS (form1 approved).

I'm pretty sure I would butcher it with hand tools.

I do have a miter saw -- is that a good option, and if so, what kind of blade would be needed for a clean cut?
View Quote
Cutting is the easy part.

Cleaning up the cut end is what takes time.

A very fine hacksaw blade takes longer but makes the clean up go faster.

A milling machine is handy for faster clean up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top