Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2018 12:51:15 PM EDT
I’m looking for something better than a standard skull crusher for running NODs without a helmet.

Is the Crye Nightcap the way to go or is something better out there?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one when they first came out and never used it for a year. One night I tried it with my pvs-14 and INVG mount and holly cow love it for times a helmet isn’t the best choice.  It’s very comfortable and supports the pvs-14 really well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's comfortable, light weight, and relatively inexpensive. With a proper counterweight you don't even need to use the chin strap for things like night hiking. I use mine whenever possible instead of a helmet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If I'm running a single PVS 14 I'll grab the nitecap everytime before a helmet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
same as above, its my go-to for just the 14 or just the Breach.    it can handle the dual bridge setup as well, but the helmet has the external battery and illum setup so i usually go to the helmet for it.

the nightcap is definitely good to go.  i often leave the field and forget its still on my head until i get home or to the station - its THAT comfortable when set up right...
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Question:

I wear glasses. I tend to have to push my 14 out a bit further to have it not hit my glasses. Does the Nightcap (with shroud) allow for enough clearance for eyeglass wearers? For what it's worth, I use a INVG and DDA for my 14, and don't wish to change my mounting setup. I know I'd have to get a shroud for the Nightcap, and I've heard good things about the Wilcox for this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
With an INVG, I’d think you should be ok

I like my NiteCap. For the $, it cannot be beaten.

I like my helmet with 4D pads better. JMHO.

I sorta want to try that new Raptor Tactical getup, but not for that $$!

TNVC-$179
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's comfortable, light weight, and relatively inexpensive. With a proper counterweight you don't even need to use the chin strap for things like night hiking. I use mine whenever possible instead of a helmet.
View Quote
Don't even use my helmet any more.  Night Cap all night err night.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question:

I wear glasses. I tend to have to push my 14 out a bit further to have it not hit my glasses. Does the Nightcap (with shroud) allow for enough clearance for eyeglass wearers? For what it's worth, I use a INVG and DDA for my 14, and don't wish to change my mounting setup. I know I'd have to get a shroud for the Nightcap, and I've heard good things about the Wilcox for this.
View Quote
I have the Wilcox shroud on my nightcap and also use an invg. No issues with shooting glasses. There's plenty of adjustment left to move my 14 even further out if needed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Question:

View Quote
I just bought and sold a Nightcap because it didn't fit with my glasses.  Both the Nightcap straps plastic adjustment tabs and my glasses wanted to be in the same spot.  So it didn't work for me.  I am also at the very top of the adjustment range, so it was too small for me, which didn't help with the Nightcap/glasses compatibility issues I was having.  I was hopeful it would be a great find as everybody said how much they like theirs, but mine didn't work for me.  So I'm sticking with my Ops Core Bump.  I need my glasses to see, so they aren't optional for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Nightcap all the way IMHO.  Bought mine in 2014 and, after a year of using nothing but that, I sold my helmets.  No regrets.  Not only is it comfortable, but when I'm done I just fold it up and stick it in the canvas PVS-14 bag.  I have used the ever loving shit out of mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nightcap all the way IMHO.  Bought mine in 2014 and, after a year of using nothing but that, I sold my helmets.  No regrets.  Not only is it comfortable, but when I'm done I just fold it up and stick it in the canvas PVS-14 bag.  I have used the ever loving shit out of mine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Love my Nightcap. You should get one. You'll need the battery pack to add a counter weight, HIGHLY recommend that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Another reason to buy one is they're only and 20 for the rear pouch directly from Crye.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
i appreciate the ops core skull mount more
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer a helmet, personally, but you can't fold a helmet up and stuff it in a pocket.    It's definitely a useful thing to have and works as advertised.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another reason to buy one is they're only and 20 for the rear pouch directly from Crye.
View Quote
I recently ordered one from Crye direct; the shipping date is in Oct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to be the oddball here.  I got quickly annoyed with it when briars kept snagging it in the thickets around here.  Stay on the beaten paths/fields or roads and you're okay.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to be the oddball here.  I got quickly annoyed with it when briars kept snagging it in the thickets around here.  Stay on the beaten paths/fields or roads and you're okay.
View Quote
That't the main time I use mine (foot stalking thru wooded areas), never been a problem for me but I can picture it.

If I'm in open areas I'm usually under the helmet where the lower profile doesn't really help any.  But if I'm ducking thru thickets and wait-a-minutes, the nightcap is what I field.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I am perfectly satisfied with mine, other than cutting holes in the fabric to screw on the mount was a royal PITA.  Seems like they could've just done that for us.  Well now I know the material is definitely durable.

I use it for MOD3-B duals, Wilcox shroud/mount and 1.5 lb counterweight.  There's enough room for eyeglasses, but it's kinda close.  I'm on like the second or third to last adjustment click out.  One recommendation I would have is buy the battery pouch to go with it and stick your counterweight in there to lower it.  Otherwise it's halfway to the top of your head.

I have a ballistic helmet also, and while it's not bad, I generally prefer the nightcap.  The helmet isn't well set-up to be fair, it's still loose even with the harness fully tightened down, and the shroud it came with sucks and wobbles like a boss.  It's even possible to knock the mount out of it if you do it juuuuuussst right.  I'm not bothered by the weight of it like everyone seemed to make out to be a big deal for ballistics.  But it is more cumbersome to lug around.  My night stalking adventures are in rather public places, and I'd just as soon not get the third degree as to why I'm walking around at night, armed and with a combat helmet.  I take a small sports bag to stash it in when not worn, but it's still a pain.  The night cap folds right up and fits in the soft carry bag right on top of the NVGs when I want to store it.  Mount and counterweight still attached.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just bought and sold a Nightcap because it didn't fit with my glasses.  Both the Nightcap straps plastic adjustment tabs and my glasses wanted to be in the same spot.  So it didn't work for me.  I am also at the very top of the adjustment range, so it was too small for me, which didn't help with the Nightcap/glasses compatibility issues I was having.  I was hopeful it would be a great find as everybody said how much they like theirs, but mine didn't work for me.  So I'm sticking with my Ops Core Bump.  I need my glasses to see, so they aren't optional for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

I just got my nightcap today and my head is too big for it.  I wear a size 7-3/4 hat, so I will just stick with my EXFIL LTP (purchased before the Team Wendy/Hillary debacle).  I'm a bit disappointed.

ETA:  I also got my TNVC thin filmed white phosphorus PVS-14, so it's not all bad!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
You did loosen up the velcro tightening straps on top right?  I'm not sure that I would consider my head "big", but it's not small and I have all the straps tightened pretty much all the way to get mine to fit snugly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The nightcap was terrible.  The one I got had the carbon fiber sewn in slightly crooked so when you poked the holes for the shroud and mounted everything ended up being crooked.  Not to mention even with a lighter weight goggle (pvs-31) it still felt terrible.  I tried on one of the ops core skull crusher things and those were 100 times better, but also more expensive.  I just stick to helmets.  Nothing beats those.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone used their nightcap with the RHNO 2?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I do, works well for me
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The Rhino II lowering arm will work fine, but I'd avoid using the shroud due to the mounting bolt/stud design.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Rhino II lowering arm will work fine, but I'd avoid using the shroud due to the mounting bolt/stud design.
View Quote
What shroud would you suggest with the nightcap?

Sorry for the questions. Buying my first NV setup and there isn't anything local to put hands on.

@MunnyShot
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#27]
A failure for me too.

With eyeglasses on the ocular would be resting on my glasses.  With eyeglasses off it wanted to rest on my eyeball at times.

Maybe if I usd a counterweight I would have been able to make enough room for no eyeglasses usage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sorry for the questions. Buying my first NV setup and there isn't anything local to put hands on.

@MunnyShot
View Quote
I run the Wilcox L4 on my ballistic as well as my Night Cap. Since the Night Cap is packable I didn't want to go with a full aluminum shroud in case I may get bent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A failure for me too.

With eyeglasses on the ocular would be resting on my glasses.  With eyeglasses off it wanted to rest on my eyeball at times.

Maybe if I usd a counterweight I would have been able to make enough room for no eyeglasses usage.
View Quote
Sounds like your dome cover is nose heavy. I run a Wilcox l4-G24 with eye pro and have a lot of forward adjustment left. You may want to look into a Wilcox G22 which gives you an additional 1.4". If your on a budget you can mod a Norotos Rhino II @ 50.00 from ebay with a Norotos PVS-18 socket dovetail or horn from TNVC which has ample forward movement. I would strongly suggest going with a dovetail interface due to the more solid lockup, less wiggle, and it needing a deliberate action to dismount it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I run the Wilcox L4 on my ballistic as well as my Night Cap. Since the Night Cap is packable I didn't want to go with a full aluminum shroud in case I may get bent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@MunnyShot
Right on

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You did loosen up the velcro tightening straps on top right?  I'm not sure that I would consider my head "big", but it's not small and I have all the straps tightened pretty much all the way to get mine to fit snugly.
View Quote
I must have a huge head. I got my Nightcap setup today with a Wilcox G11 mount and it barely fits with the front chin straps and rear strap loosened all the way. My glasses do just fit in under the side straps so I think it'll work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I must have a huge head. I got my Nightcap setup today with a Wilcox G11 mount and it barely fits with the front chin straps and rear strap loosened all the way. My glasses do just fit in under the side straps so I think it'll work.
View Quote
I have the opisite problem. The straps are adjusted as short as they go but the way the buckle is it makes it lop sided.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have the opisite problem. The straps are adjusted as short as they go but the way the buckle is it makes it lop sided.
View Quote
For some reason all Night Caps chin straps always adjust lop sided
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Its because the buckle adds length to one side and the chin pocket ends up offset. OP, if you have a small head, you won't like it but if not it's a great lightweight compact option. I'll eventually get around to cutting and modifying mine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Minor hijack:
What works best as a container for your Nightcap and PVS-14?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Minor hijack:
What works best as a container for your Nightcap and PVS-14?
View Quote
For on the go I like the tactical taylor padded pouch for my dual or single 14 which can be found for @ 15.00 For the Nightcap, stuff it anywhere. I use a Wilcox G4 shroud so I don't have to worry as much as if I was running a all aluminum shroud.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine is way too small for me too.  I was disappointed with it considering all the glowing reviews.

Will keep it for a loaner for those with smaller heads...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mine is way too small for me too.  I was disappointed with it considering all the glowing reviews.
View Quote
We need to trade. Mine is slightly loose with the straps all the way in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone tried adding a light to their night cap?  If so do you have pictures?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sounds like your dome cover is nose heavy. I run a Wilcox l4-G24 with eye pro and have a lot of forward adjustment left. You may want to look into a Wilcox G22 which gives you an additional 1.4". If your on a budget you can mod a Norotos Rhino II @ 50.00 from ebay with a Norotos PVS-18 socket dovetail or horn from TNVC which has ample forward movement. I would strongly suggest going with a dovetail interface due to the more solid lockup, less wiggle, and it needing a deliberate action to dismount it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A failure for me too.

I have the G11 Wilcox.   It is nose heavy and I do need a counter balance.  I can skull crush the night cap on and be ok in the house without my eyeglasses but if I am out afield it will migrate down.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried adding a light to their night cap?  If so do you have pictures?
View Quote
I think some people have modded their nightcap with rails, lights, etc. I just can't find the threads. I'll try again on Google.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought a nightcap when TNVC first received them never used it for a year plus. I just stuck with my ops core helmet put nightcap in my box.  One day I tried it with INVG/ dual dovetail/ pvs-14 and kind of liked it more than I thought I would.

Now my Nightcap setup consist of Nightcap/lowstow mount and PVS-18 which reduced overall weight by around 3.5 oz’s vs my old setup INVG/ dual dovetail/ pvs-14.  It’s very comfortable even wearing it for long periods and pretty stable I really like  it for when a helmet is no go.

A helmet will always be more stable and comfortable for most uses Nightcap is for when you need something small/lite to pack with you just in case.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I am digging the nightcap, but as @brodband8 mentioned, it was crooked as shit initially. Took some fidgeting with the shroud to get it right. Another complaint I had was how high the rear velcro was. If wanting to run with a counterweight, it's been my experience that this hook and loop section places the pouch way too high on the skull. I know that the crye counterweight system can be used to combat this, but when added, it becomes a semi permanent fixture, as the rear adjustment strap feeds through a loop on the back of the pouch (I wanted something that can be removed at will.) Since I already had an EOG Gen II "beanbag" style counterweight, I busted out the sewing kit the other day and developed the DTOM system... It drops the weight down and when worn with 14s, one doesn't even need to snap the chinstrap for admin / light duty shi'ite. Thinking about joining a sewing club next.

Here is where the pouch sat before:

Now for the DTOM. This looped piece of velcro is the only semi permanent section. Rear adjustment strap feeds through here:

Removeable upper half:

Much better:
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am digging the nightcap, but as @brodband8 mentioned, it was crooked as shit initially. Took some fidgeting with the shroud to get it right. Another complaint I had was how high the rear velcro was. If wanting to run with a counterweight, it's been my experience that this hook and loop section places the pouch way too high on the skull. I know that the crye counterweight system can be used to combat this, but when added, it becomes a semi permanent fixture, as the rear adjustment strap feeds through a loop on the back of the pouch (I wanted something that can be removed at will.) Since I already had EOG Gen II "beanbag" style counterweight, I busted out the sewing kit the other day and developed the DTOM system... It drops the weight down and when worn with 14s, one doesn't even need to snap the chinstrap for admin / light duty shi'ite. Thinking about joining a sewing club next.

Here is where the pouch sat before:

https://i.imgur.com/1vu8H4L.jpg

Now for the DTOM. This looped piece of velcro is the only semi permanent section. Rear adjustment strap feeds through here:

https://i.imgur.com/FGlqnS1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OVUAiSC.jpg

Removeable upper half:

https://i.imgur.com/yIbPaCV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IIqXuOA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E6OGhs4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/343XHE6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GqVBkod.jpg

Much better:

https://i.imgur.com/runMeiY.jpg
View Quote
I like that.  Looks great.

I ordered the Crye battery pouch for mine, but this honestly looks like a better solution.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am digging the nightcap, but as @brodband8 mentioned, it was crooked as shit initially. Took some fidgeting with the shroud to get it right. Another complaint I had was how high the rear velcro was. If wanting to run with a counterweight, it's been my experience that this hook and loop section places the pouch way too high on the skull.
View Quote
Sewing club was not an option for me, so I went with the TNVC Mohawk.  It works just fine with the included velcro on the NightCap.  And you don't need the chin strap if you're driving or walking semi-slowly. I bet I've fielded mine 40 times like this with good results.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sewing club was not an option for me, so I went with the TNVC Mohawk.  It works just fine with the included velcro on the NightCap.  And you don't need the chin strap if you're driving or walking semi-slowly. I bet I've fielded mine 40 times like this with good results.
View Quote
Love the Mohawk on my Mitch. Very well designed product. Do the hooks actually grip to the netted section of the nightcap without the looped velcro patch? I'm envisioning your rig with the center line gripping the adjustment strap up top, as well as down across the rear velcro with some overhang around the "hair hole". If you had to chin strap up and run, would the lower portion stay secured to the netting, or would things be a little floppy?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
It’d be a little floppy for running. Generally after I cave hog/coyote faces in while being cloaked  in darkness, I don’t have to run much. ;)
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’d be a little floppy for running. Generally after I cave hog/coyote faces in while being cloaked  in darkness, I don’t have to run much. ;)
View Quote
Haha. The ultimate winky/smiley-faced predator... don't mess with that guy. He'll cave your face in! I hope you at least get some bacon from those piggies.

Glad the mohawk works for your purposes. I'll move mine over to the nightcap to check it out. My application is a little different, so floppy mohawk sac on the back of my head would be a no-go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted: My application is a little different, so floppy mohawk sac on the back of my head would be a no-go.
View Quote
The only thing worse than a dick on your forehead would be a floppy sac on your back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top