Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 3:05:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried removing the pellet, and shooting a different one?

Possibly got an out of spec pellet?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the owners manual
Select .pdf in description

From that, try this maintenance... even if it's new.
AND, from eveything I have read, don't use gun oils with solvents. No good for o-rings and such. I use Crosman Pellgun Oil
Your gun lists a silicon chamber oil made from the fat of carribian island virgins... RMCOIL here
Attachment Attached File

Are you using lead pellets, or non-led... Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid question... is there a squib in the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stupid question... is there a squib in the barrel?
View Quote

Was going to be my next question, if barrel was blocked.

Could have gotten a "returned" rifle.

ETA: Is that rust in the pic? Looks like some sort of debris?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If there was a squib in barrel, the pellet would still move forward a bit and not just sit there.

I think you have a tear in the air piston seal and air is escaping within the power piston chamber and not going out the air hole to the pellet.

All springers have been known every once in awhile to have a burr within the air chamber at the area where the air tube is welded, that when one cocks the barrel will slice that piston seal to make the airgun useless. It happens. Only problem is, one needs to purchase a rebuild kit to overhaul and then find that burr, regrease/oil the system.

Trust me, those compression springs use lots of poundage to work, so safety is needed to not hurt oneself when compressing to remove the "cross-pin" from the rear of the receiver to remove the pin, then re-install pin after fixing.

You need to do a tear down, since you can't return to store. In this instance you NEED a piston spring compressor to help with disassembly/assembly to hold that spring in a safe manner.

Airgun spring compressors cost around $100 +/- a few bucks to get a nicely made model, but there is some Utube vids online where you can build one that will still work well.

If your airgun uses an air-ram system, I'm unsure how those work as it's a self contained system and I haven't worked on those.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No squib load. I dry fired it after checking the barrel and it's pushing air..
I have no idea if the pellets are lead free. Near as I can tell they are based on pics on amazon. the can has a clear top on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No squib load. I dry fired it after checking the barrel and it's pushing air..
I have no idea if the pellets are lead free. Near as I can tell they are based on pics on amazon. the can has a clear top on it.

Dumb question, but have you broke-over the barrel and physically looked down the bore?

Also, try cocking (unloaded) and leaving the rifle set for say 30 minutes. Fire and see if you notice any difference in how it sounds, as in if it's leaked a partial air charge.

I did a little searching, and had read one of the "cons" of this rifle was
Pivot locks are not as tight as higher end rifles.
. This leaves me wondering about a possible breech seal leak?

As mentioned above, a spring compressor can be easily built, I made one from scraps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes..saw daylight when I looked.
the pellets are sitting proud of the breech face..
dumb question..will a .22 pellet fit in a .177?
I'll try the cock it and leave it thing.
ETA...I'm not getting into attempting to rebuild it. He can return it or throw it away..
they got it for dealing with squirrels, pigeons, etc on the farm..which is why I gave my daughter the .17hrm..
View Quote

Sorry, I said it was a dumb question

Almost sounds as if the bore wasn't machined to specs?

I had a buddy who had a .22 semi-auto rifle that he said wouldn't cycle. I brought it home, and after looking, I'd found (because all he used was the cheapest ammo he could find, and looked like he never cleaned it) that there was a casing in the breech that the rim had separated from.

.177 is a small opening, but you might double check someone hasn't put something into the breech. Small chance, I know, but clutching at straws at this point.

A .22 wouldn't fit into a .177 breech.

If returning/exchanging is still an option, I'd go that route. You might contact Crossman, as if there's a spec issue, they'd probably like to be made aware of it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Cock the rifle with a pellet in the chamber .   Take a piece of tissue and place it on top of the loading area .   While pointed in a safe direction fire the pellet .

Watch the tissue .  If it moves at all the rifle has a bad seal .

Maybe this will help .

gd
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did the tissue over the receiver test and the cock it and let it sit test and the tissue didn't move and it didn't sound any different shooting it after it sat for an hour or so.
So I'm no further ahead.
View Quote

Re-read thread, saw no mention........

I know you've tried a different pellet, assuming from the same tin.

Do you by chance have a different tin/type/batch of pellets to try?

Might be worth a last resort shot.

What brand are the pellets? I saw mention of them in your previous post, but nothing on brand.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My son in law got this for christmas.(Not from me. My daughter has a .17 hmr bolt action I gave her)
Out of the box it won't shoot a pellet. If I cock it and squeeze the trigger it will fire like it should but with a pellet in the chamber it fires, the main spring is much louder and the pellet is still in the chamber.
With this covid thing it's impossible to return it to the store it was purchased at and if it is a simple fix then I'll do that.
Any sugggestions?
View Quote
If it has been fired without a pellet in the chamber, even once, the spring could be broke. Thus, it would not develop enough power to launch a pellet. I would suggest that it be returned to Crosman.  They have treated me very well when I had a problem rifle in the past, just called them and they were quite helpful.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Near as I can tell they are gamo lead free. I don't have any other ones to try.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/71pTeW3AoBL__AC_SX425_-1826805.jpg
View Quote

I was hoping they were possibly some generic brand that was out of spec. Being Gamo's, I doubt there's any issue.

Exchange the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top