Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2018 2:56:09 AM EDT
I handled a Crickett rifle a few years ago and I really liked it however the lack of a proper picatinny rail adapter, the lack of a cartridge feed ramp (you have to insert the round directly in the chamber) and the stupid lawyer lock on the bottom turned me off on buying one. I recently read about the Gen 2 versions having the following changes:

EZ Feed Ramp
Studs Installed
Scope Mount
Trigger Lock
Ear & Eye Protection
*Note: Gen 2 are not able to accept the internal safety lock.*

Has anyone had any experience with the Gen 2 models? Do they have a feed ramp and has the bottom key lock been removed?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought one for my grandson who was born March 1st.

It's a mossy oak camo pattern.

I didn't read the manual or shoot it, but it came with studs, safety lock, shooting glasses and ear plugs.
And a scope mount.

It appeared you could load a round by just setting it in the receiver.

I've already gave the rifle to my son, so can't answer all your questions.  Hope that helped some.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on your grandson!

I just watched this YouTube video which is a tour of the Keystone Factory, at 9:15 they show the new receiver with the improved shell lifter...

Keystone Sporting Arms Factory Tour

I might just have to pick one up now....
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool video Thanks for posting it!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Did they make it easier to cock? When my son was three he was able to work the bolt on the Savage Rascal (lift to cock), but could not pull to cock the Cricket. We took home the Rascal. It of course seemed perfectly easy for an adult, not so easy for a small child. My son is 6 now, he would probably be able to cock the Cricket but I haven’t handled one since we got the Rascal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
That shell lifter is pretty slick.  Might have to mod my son's gen 1.  
To help with cocking, I put a 550 cord loop around the "cocker"...as we call it.  The loop makes it MUCH easier.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My son shooting his Cricket today at his Pawpaw's. He's 4 and could only cock it maybe 1 out of 10 tries.  That one stays at his Pawpaw's house. I'm gonna get him a Gen 2 so just me and him can go shooting. And before anything is said about eye pro he wore it and hearing pro the whole time. This pic was posed during a break.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting that video. I'm looking to get my 8yo daughter and 6yo sold each one for Christmas this year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I always thought that they would make a dandy truck gun for groundhogs, what would be a decent short eye relief scope for one?

Btw, I have a savage chipmunk (think that's the model) and rascal for my 2 kids, I might need one of the crickets for myself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok I bit the bullet and bought a stainless Crickett with a laminate stock. Stock is really nice as is the barrel. I also got a Crickett scope which is ok for what it is.

Rifle is really accurate however the new EZ loader ramp is kinda worthless as half the time the rounds get jammed between the side of the ramp and the inside of the receiver, I found myself just sticking them directly in the chamber like the older cricketts and chipmunks. Also after a few rounds the shells kept getting stuck in the chamber and I had to use my knife to get them out, I'm going to take a look at the extractor and chamber this weekend to see if I can fix that.

All in all I'd be kinda disappointed if the stock wasn't so gorgeous and the thing wasn't as accurate as it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on your grandson!

I just watched this YouTube video which is a tour of the Keystone Factory, at 9:15 they show the new receiver with the improved shell lifter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur48kgoBjm0

I might just have to pick one up now....
View Quote
thats going to get watched later
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I chose the Savage Rascal for my son.  I felt it was a much better gun for not much more in price.  Added a rail and red dot and he loves it.

I went with the RDS because I wanted him to be able to hit the target easily and predictably so shooting with dad would be fun and something he would want to do.  He can learn irons later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top