Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2018 2:56:41 PM EDT
So, as many of you know, I've posted about my Rossi 357mag and Uberti 45 Colt leverguns.  I have a carbine and rifle in both calibers and the rifles have crescent buttplates that don't fit my shoulder well to begin with.  However, the last 6-9 months I've noticed the start of some arthritis symptoms in my shoulder; a bit of burning low level pain at times.

Anyway, last time I went out with my 357mag rifle, about 1 month ago, my shoulder hurt like heck to fire my full power loads.  I tried my Mini-14 and it felt fine so it was the shape of the crescent buttplate that was causing the issue. Later, I got home and had a nice bruise from shooting.  That really concerned me as my Rossis are my favorite plinkers and losing them would be a blow.

I looked on line and at Cabella's for a slip on recoil pad for my shoulder and found one from Caldwell, their 'Field Shield at $22 so I ordered it on Amazon.  Two days later it was here.

Anyway, I took it out to the range yesterday afternoon to try it with my Rossi rifle and it's dreaded crescent buttplate.  Even though my shoulder was hurting a bit before I started out to the range, with the shield on I could shoot my Rossi with no pain at all.  Yes, it takes a bit of getting use to the 3/8" or so thick pad on your shoulder and how the buttstock engages it but I quickly found a way to use it effectively and it's a none issue.

Not shown is a strap that goes around your chest from the back piece to the right side of the pad.  It Velcros on so it fast and the shield is reversible for lefties too; just turn it inside out.  Best of all, it slips right off easily and I was still able to shoot my Mini without it with ease.  Arthritis now not a problem and I'm pain free again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The sharply crescent buttplates were intended to be held on the arm instead of the shoulder but I hate them anyway.  Works ok on long small bore muzzle loading rifles.  Early 1900s manufacturers made some hard kicking guns with that style rather than the 'shotgun' style butt.  People complained but shot them anyway, though they reportedly shot poorly.  With my muzzleloaders I either don't buy ones like that or have the butt converted to flat or if too narrow, add a recoil pad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Rossi 20" short rifle, a Rossi 24" rifle, and an Armi Sport Model 92 24" take down rifle all of which have crescent butt plates.  I also have a Rossi 92 Carbine with the curved carbine butt plate and a Winchester Model 94 trapper in .45 Colt with a shot gun butt plate.

A full power .45 Colt (32,000 psi, 255 gr bullet) has a lot more recoil than a 158 gr .357 Magnum, so it's all relative.

However, the key to managing recoil with a crescent or carbine butt plate is to use them like they were designed to be used.   They are intended to be placed on the upper arm outside the shoulder pocket.  The length of pull on these rifles and carbines is also designed with the curved butt plate in mind as the rifle comes across the body more when the butt is placed out of the shoulder pocket and on the upper arm.

When shot like they are designed to be shot curved carbine and crescent butt plates tend to be comfortable as the curve fits the upper arm, and there's more give in the upper arm, compared to placing one in the shoulder pocket.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to have to try something similar, or perhaps a slip on.
Shooting 38-55 recently, (which really isn't a high recoil caliber), with that style buttplate, left bruising after only six shots.
I was surprised.  I like the authenticity, and the look, and fit, but as far as practicality, the Marlin style or shotgun style buttplates are much better.  
I don't know of anyone who ever made a slightly thicker rubber replacement for the crescent plate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I understand how to shoot a crescent buttstock weapon as I've been shooting it for 10yrs.  That's not the problem. Arthritis is the problem and I needed to spread out the shock impulse over a wider area than the buttplate provided.  I shot my M1A and Mini-14 with no issues but the concentrated pressure of the crescent hurt.  The model '92's small and thin buttstock profile concentrates the recoil into a small area anyway and the crescent accentuates the issue. I'll have the same issue with my Uberti 1873 Winchester rifle clone with it's crescent buttplate.  The pad eliminated the problem and I remove it to shoot my other rifles without one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of those and never go to the range without it.  It really excels for guns with hard plastic or metal butt plates or heavy kicking guns like 45-70.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top