Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2021 6:02:06 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

I am a USMC veteran in the process of starting my own tactical gear company, Argonauts Tactical™. However, before I do I need the help from you guys, the tactical gear community.

Having come from a Combined Anti-Armor Team (CAAT) platoon which, operates primarily in Humvees, I am all too familiar with the back pain associated with wearing a plate carrier in a vehicle as well as the awkwardness of having a bulky IFAK sticking off you as you try to get into/out of and maneuver inside the vehicle. I am currently developing an IFAK that would be placed on the small of your back and act as lumbar support and can be easily removed to be deployed. Not only does it help with those who operate in a vehicle to give proper back support, but it also keeps it out of the way for optimal mobility when on foot.

I have two requests, both of which are primarily for patrol officers, private security, or any other professional whose job it is to wear a plate carrier while operating in a vehicle, however, opinions from the community as a whole would also be greatly appreciated:

First, as a general question, is this concept something you guys would be interested in?

Second, I have a questionnaire prepared specifically about your usages of IFAKs. It is 12 questions long and should take about 10 minutes of your time.

I can be contacted here on the forum, through direct messaging, or my email at [email protected]

I greatly appreciate all of your time. Thank you!

-Steven

To any moderators: if I have submitted this post in a wrong channel please let me know which channel would be the most appropriate so that I may correct the mistake asap.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pm sent
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
PM sent
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just a civilian, but I will say that in terms of space savings the "roll" or burrito concept we see with tools kits for Overlanding vehicles are kind of inspirational for being able to fit a lot of stuff into a small package.  I love the concept of a rolled medical kit for saving space.  One of the things I would like is a customizable way to organize items inside the IFAK rather than having fixed/sewn in elastic loops, if you could have moveable loops (maybe one wrap of various sizes instead of elastic) to secure in items and organize that would be the Bee's Knees provided once in place they were secure. The problem with fixed elastic loops for organization is that sometimes they're too big for what I want to secure or they're not big enough and I'm kind of forced to go with a certain set-up configuration.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm just a civilian, but I will say that in terms of space savings the "roll" or burrito concept we see with tools kits for Overlanding vehicles are kind of inspirational for being able to fit a lot of stuff into a small package.  I love the concept of a rolled medical kit for saving space.  One of the things I would like is a customizable way to organize items inside the IFAK rather than having fixed/sewn in elastic loops, if you could have moveable loops (maybe one wrap of various sizes instead of elastic) to secure in items and organize that would be the Bee's Knees provided once in place they were secure. The problem with fixed elastic loops for organization is that sometimes they're too big for what I want to secure or they're not big enough and I'm kind of forced to go with a certain set-up configuration.  
View Quote

Thanks for your input! As of right now my concept prototype is actually in the roll form for that reason, though this is subject to change. When it comes to the moveable loops, I would have no clue how to execute that other than using crisscrossed shock cord everywhere for complete customization, although I have found that type of system to be just as bad, if not worse, at holding things in place. I do know what you mean though by some loops being too big to actually hold anything properly and is something I hope to remedy.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
@ArgonautsTac

How do you plan on differentiating from Ferro Concepts / Forward Observations Group who were the first to launch this concept?

Roll 1™ Trauma Pouch

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Thank you for point this out! I had actually only just found out about this product a few days ago. The one biggest change mine would be is that it would be taller, by about 1 1/2 inches, and shaped for a dedicated lumbar placement. Because of its dedicated placement the sleeve itself would also have spacer mesh as a bit of cushion to help with breathability while leaned against. I already have a prototype that is incredibly comfortable to lean against that basically turns your back sapi plate and IFAK into a full back rest, and if you would like to see a picture please send me a DM as I would love to get your input!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you for point this out! I had actually only just found out about this product a few days ago. The one biggest change mine would be is that it would be taller, by about 1 1/2 inches, and shaped for a dedicated lumbar placement. Because of its dedicated placement the sleeve itself would also have spacer mesh as a bit of cushion to help with breathability while leaned against. I already have a prototype that is incredibly comfortable to lean against that basically turns your back sapi plate and IFAK into a full back rest, and if you would like to see a picture please send me a DM as I would love to get your input!
View Quote

You can also have it "expandable" in the same way SOTech Viper flat IFAK does it. Essentially the "tube is larger in circumference and the the bottom has elastic keeping it slightly bunched. So when the insert is stuffed in there, the outside "tube" is cinched onto the insert.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi everyone,

First off, I’d like to thank all of you who have reached out and given your input into my product idea. It has all been incredibly helpful! Seriously, even those which are concerns or criticisms are immensely helpful in keeping me honest about what I am trying to achieve.

Moving forward from here, I’d like to ask if anyone would be interested in prototype testing. If anyone is interested, I have a survey (via Google forms) linked below which will also be how you sign up for testing. My limit will be to the first 10 people who sign up; however, if I get more than 10 participants I will try to accommodate as much as I can as the more input I get the better.

Full disclosure, the prototype is not yet finished and may not be made for at least another two months. Also, this prototype will only be compatible with standard plate carriers, although other attachments methods for different kinds of body armor will be in the works later on.

Even if you are not interested in testing the prototype, extra participation in my survey is always greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that the survey was geared more towards law enforcement but left open ended enough for input from other occupations who might have helpful input.

Again, thank you all and don’t hesitate to message or email me!

Survey: https://forms.gle/vNDvvT8ifagKacLT7

-Steven

P.S. If the link is broken, please let me know so that I can fix it ASAP as this has happened before.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

First off, I’d like to thank all of you who have reached out and given your input into my product idea. It has all been incredibly helpful! Seriously, even those which are concerns or criticisms are immensely helpful in keeping me honest about what I am trying to achieve.

Moving forward from here, I’d like to ask if anyone would be interested in prototype testing. If anyone is interested, I have a survey (via Google forms) linked below which will also be how you sign up for testing. My limit will be to the first 10 people who sign up; however, if I get more than 10 participants I will try to accommodate as much as I can as the more input I get the better.

Full disclosure, the prototype is not yet finished and may not be made for at least another two months. Also, this prototype will only be compatible with standard plate carriers, although other attachments methods for different kinds of body armor will be in the works later on.

Even if you are not interested in testing the prototype, extra participation in my survey is always greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that the survey was geared more towards law enforcement but left open ended enough for input from other occupations who might have helpful input.

Again, thank you all and don’t hesitate to message or email me!

Survey: https://forms.gle/vNDvvT8ifagKacLT7

-Steven

P.S. If the link is broken, please let me know so that I can fix it ASAP as this has happened before.
View Quote

Link works. Filled it out
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
awesome thank you!
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Submitted, wish I saw this thread earlier. Deadlifting has helped a lot, but deployments and working patrol have taken a toll on my back. I still do tacmed part-time/on-call so I wear a PC and bag fairly regularly; I'll try anything once so I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Good way to break a spine
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How is this different than an LBT 9022B or BFG Micro Trauma Kit NOW?

I get what you're saying but IFAKS tend to be soft and pliable. It's not like a hard metal SOB carry or having cuffs there.
View Quote

Sounds like the big difference is in the rear plate bag positioning, in the negative space between the plate and belt line.
If there's a structural component to the pouch, I'll be curious to see how it works to distribute any of the PC's load.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
How will such a device interface well with those users employing soft body armor (kidney armor) attached to lower rear of their existing rig?  Such additional armor carriers do not seem to have external PALS webbing to which to attach anything at all.

US Mil offers such, and might require it for some troops: https://locknwalkharness.com/collections/tactical-gear/products/multicam-iotv-lower-back-kidney-protector-w-3a-soft-armor-included

Congrats on thinking outside the box, and please take my comments, as intended, as purely constructive criticism.  Wish you all the best!
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good way to break a spine
View Quote

Actually looks like a good way to cushion it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top