Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2021 5:27:30 PM EDT
Good lord there are so many options

How the hell do you differentiate between good/bad? Where to even start?

Even the threads and recommendations in here seem like cryptic text with a lot of models being recommended but never really compared.

What specs/features matter?

I'd ultimately like to go dirt cheap on a bump helmet but buy good mounts and then move them over later when the helmet decisions are made. Is this wrong?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Go dirt cheap and cheap dirt you will get.

I like Wilcox and Norotos  mounts and shrouds.
As far as bayonet vs dovetail  I prefer dovetail.

Bump vs ballistic ..... Ballistic

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree.  Don’t go cheap.

First question - will you only ever be running a single PVS14?  This is a loaded question because once you get into NVG you may buy up.  If you will EVER buy up, the recommended mount will change.

BLUF - knowing what I know now after 10+ years of the NVG disease.  If you are only going to run a single PVS14 - Norotos dual dovetail adapter and the Norotos INVG is the way without a doubt.  If you are ever going to upgrade to duals, Wilcox G24 with the Wilcox J arm for the PVS14 is the way.

That is all.  Good luck brother!  The hole is deep down here but we can see in the dark. :)
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I appreciate the input, especially a local one who has to deal with the same desert I do.

Quoted:
Agree.  Don’t go cheap.

First question - will you only ever be running a single PVS14?  This is a loaded question because once you get into NVG you may buy up.  If you will EVER buy up, the recommended mount will change.

BLUF - knowing what I know now after 10+ years of the NVG disease.  If you are only going to run a single PVS14 - Norotos dual dovetail adapter and the Norotos INVG is the way without a doubt.  If you are ever going to upgrade to duals, Wilcox G24 with the Wilcox J arm for the PVS14 is the way.

That is all.  Good luck brother!  The hole is deep down here but we can see in the dark. :)

Fully acknowledge that this is likely the first step of many and the hole is deep and my personality is likely to jump in.

No issues buying the high dollar mounts right off the bat, but is it worth it as well on a bump? I'm still of the mindset that a bump doesn't need to serve much purpose but I also don't know any better.

Ballistic I have no intentions on saving a buck and will likely be going right for Ops Core, but I figured I should get my feet wet first with a bump.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So if I'm understanding this correctly:

These 3 would give a full mount platform for anything you attach the shroud to?

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/6704-wilcox-l4-3-hole-shroud-p-n-56100g34/category_pathway-115

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/466-wilcox-l4-g24-low-profile-nvg-helmet-mount-p-n-28300g24/category_pathway-115

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/6442-wilcox-an-pvs-14-arm-with-nvg-interface-shoe-p-n-26300g01/category_pathway-115

And the shroud can be skipped if buying a good helmet?

J arm connects to the pvs 14
Mount brings the features and connects the jarm to the shroud
Shroud is the mount itself

Do I have that right?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
For bump helmets, most everyone will tell you to just either buy a team wendy or ops core bump and a G24 mount and be done with it. 

That is certainly a good option but not the only good one. I really like the Wilcox G69 mount, which combines both the mount and shroud and currently have that set up on an ops core skull mount. If I were to go the bump helmet method, I would get a cheap bump helmet off of amazon for the plastic shell, a team wendy boa system off of amazon and a set of 4d pads and pair it with the G69. For the j-arm, I really like noisefighters ax14 arm.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So if I'm understanding this correctly:

These 3 would give a full mount platform for anything you attach the shroud to?

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/6704-wilcox-l4-3-hole-shroud-p-n-56100g34/category_pathway-115

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/466-wilcox-l4-g24-low-profile-nvg-helmet-mount-p-n-28300g24/category_pathway-115

https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/nvg-helmet-mounts/product/6442-wilcox-an-pvs-14-arm-with-nvg-interface-shoe-p-n-26300g01/category_pathway-115

And the shroud can be skipped if buying a good helmet?

J arm connects to the pvs 14
Mount brings the features and connects the jarm to the shroud
Shroud is the mount itself

Do I have that right?
View Quote

Love it, Now you’re talking. That looks G2G to me.
don’t forget a lanyard
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
A good swing arm is going to be one that has smooth movement as well as up/down, in/out and tilt. At a minimum a Norotos Rhino II. It has a horn interface that matches your GI JArm. The mount can be upgraded to a dovetail socket that most binos use. By the time you upgrade to binos a Rhino II may not be sexy enough to match for IG pics, so upgrading to a G24 is a must. As far as shrouds go, a Wilcox G4 are @ 70.00 vs a Norotos universal for 60.00 and single hole are 20.00 There's a huge difference in what works well vs what looks good so it depends on what you really need vs what the cool kids have.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A good swing arm is going to be one that has smooth movement as well as up/down, in/out and tilt. At a minimum a Norotos Rhino II. It has a horn interface that matches your GI JArm. The mount can be upgraded to a dovetail socket that most binos use. By the time you upgrade to binos a Rhino II may not be sexy enough to match for IG pics, so upgrading to a G24 is a must. As far as shrouds go, a Wilcox G4 are @ 70.00 vs a Norotos universal for 60.00 and single hole are 20.00 There's a huge difference in what works well vs what looks good so it depends on what you really need vs what the cool kids have.
View Quote

Understood! So rigidity, fitment, adjustability, and reliability are going to be the main upgrades for the higher cost ones if I'm reading everything people have said right.

If so, it seems the overwhelming majority agree that the Wilcox stuff is mostly good to go. No issues there and I'm glad yall could help me there.

I'm sure a bump also brings with it similar improvements and so I will also take yalls advice not to cheap out on that.

Very much appreciate the advice and welcome any others or even just your own preferences as well!
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Understood! So rigidity, fitment, adjustability, and reliability are going to be the main upgrades for the higher cost ones if I'm reading everything people have said right.

If so, it seems the overwhelming majority agree that the Wilcox stuff is mostly good to go. No issues there and I'm glad yall could help me there.

I'm sure a bump also brings with it similar improvements and so I will also take yalls advice not to cheap out on that.

Very much appreciate the advice and welcome any others or even just your own preferences as well!
View Quote

You can find a Norotos Rhino II NOS/new/used for starting @ 70.00 on Ebay with a shroud. That would be the least expensive option that has all the features mentioned. You can find a NOS legacy  Rhino for @ 20.00-30.00. It will only have tilt, forward and aft movement. Vertical is nice to have, but necessarily need to have for most users.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, Rhino has more flex to it, not exceptionally enjoyable while you are riding in a vehicle.  Unicorn does not flex andfolds flatter, but the way it does that does not work well with bino's if you upgrade latter on.  G24 is the compromise.  It does not bounce around like the Rhino, but you sacrifice a little bit of the fold flat if you are running a single tube.  That said, you are future proof if you might ever upgrade latter on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
How does the AKA2 compare to the Rhino II and G24?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does the AKA2 compare to the Rhino II and G24?
View Quote

The the Rhino II is a FTO mount so there is no locking mechanism like the AKA2 and G24. You can swap out the horn interface to a dovetail using a pvs15 socket.
The Rhino II is smooth in operation, but not as refined as the AKA2 and G24

The AKA2 has a 2 position stow modes. 1) stows just forward of your head so you don't bang your nods on door frames and 2) in the traditional rhino horn above your head. It also is quick interchange to either horn or dovetail type sockets for mounting your nods.

The G24 locking stow/deploy, has a break away mode so if you run into a door frame or face plant your swing arm will dislodge from the shroud possibly avoiding neck injury.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The the Rhino II is a FTO mount so there is no locking mechanism like the AKA2 and G24. You can swap out the horn interface to a dovetail using a pvs15 socket.
The Rhino II is smooth in operation, but not as refined as the AKA2 and G24

The AKA2 has a 2 position stow modes. 1) stows just forward of your head so you don't bang your nods on door frames and 2) in the traditional rhino horn above your head. It also is quick interchange to either horn or dovetail type sockets for mounting your nods.

The G24 locking stow/deploy, has a break away mode so if you run into a door frame or face plant your swing arm will dislodge from the shroud possibly avoiding neck injury.
View Quote

Does the AKA2 connect to the same mounting point as a G24?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the basics forum for some more pics, info.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does the AKA2 connect to the same mounting point as a G24?
View Quote

Yes. All 3 use the universal MARSOC/WARCOM type shroud. Just a side note usually sticking with the same brand shroud, swing arm, DDA/ JArm will have the best fit/lock up
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Norotos had one that used force to overcome for flip-up and down that looked like it might be nice (Lo-Sto I think), but I ultimately went with the G24 and Wilcox J Arm w/ on/off switch.

Anyone have experience with these?
https://ownthenight.com/new-products/product/14666-norotos-lo-sto-force-to-overcome-helmet-mount-p-n-1962010/category_pathway-136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top