Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2017 10:17:33 AM EDT
I recently picked up a 520-30 trench gun for a good deal. Other than a little bit of bubba, everything is correct for a trench and the serial numbers match. Even the stock that has a couple cracks running through the grip starting a at the receiver. Now I will never part with this and I want to shoot it, does anybody have a recommendation for a good Smith for doing minimally noticable stock repairs for something like this? Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Drill it and glue in brass rods like the Brits used to do with their rifles?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Do a search for a product called "chair doctor"......
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting product
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drill it and glue in brass rods like the Brits used to do with their rifles?
View Quote
I don't know if that's the way the Brits did it, but I would guess they did it more like we did...use brass screws, then the shaft was cut even with the wood, getting rid of the head...it looks like brass pins, but they are screwed...
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know if that's the way the Brits did it, but I would guess they did it more like we did...use brass screws, then the shaft was cut even with the wood, getting rid of the head...it looks like brass pins, but they are screwed...
View Quote
Yeah, I should have put down it was a threaded then cut down rod, my fault. I thought I had read that could also be glued in place as the rod was installed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells acraglas and threaded brass pins.

I've done several stocks this way.

I like to drill a small hole from inside the action area to intersect a crack. I then use a syringe to inject the epoxy into the cracks and wrap a inner tube around it all to clamp it. After its cured, run some pins across the cracks and file down smooth.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Did they crack from being loose? I just repaired a stock with some wood superglue  just to keep the crack tight since the loose fit to the receiver was corrected.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do a search for a product called "chair doctor"......
View Quote
Hory Sheet, $76 for 4 oz. Must be good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hory Sheet, $76 for 4 oz. Must be good.
View Quote
It's $14 for 4 oz from Lee Valley or Highland. You're looking at those resale scalpers on Amazon that can charge whatever they want.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, what is the SN?  I have one of the same models.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
As an alternative maybe buy a new cheap stock for shooting and keep the historical one for display?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As an alternative maybe buy a new cheap stock for shooting and keep the historical one for display?
View Quote
Holy crap, didn't realize the thread was still going this strong. This was one option I was considering. I will check the serial number when I'm home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top