Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2019 4:22:20 PM EDT
I’m interested in an NFA SBR that is already registered to another trust.  If I bought this SBR are there good options out there that would allow me to hide/mask/ cover the previous owners engraved trust name?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the name engraved on the SBR is for who made it. Not for who posses it at the time.

A Colt SBR (Colt made it and sold it as a SBR) would be engraved with the Colt info. Over time the new owners names would NOT need to be engraved. Present owners name is described in the paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the name engraved on the SBR is for who made it. Not for who posses it at the time.

A Colt SBR (Colt made it and sold it as a SBR) would be engraved with the Colt info. Over time the new owners names would NOT need to be engraved. Present owners name is described in the paperwork.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The current owners trust name is engraved on the lower since it is an SBR and registered to his trust
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The current owners trust name is engraved on the lower since it is an SBR and registered to his trust
View Quote
And since he was the original manufacturer it will remain engraved on it if you transfer it as an SBR on a Form 4,unless you have it stricken from the registry and he transfers it to you as a title 1 firearm and you Form 1 it yourself under your or your trusts name.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And since he was the original manufacturer it will remain engraved on it if you transfer it as an SBR on a Form 4,unless you have it stricken from the registry and he transfers it to you as a title 1 firearm and you Form 1 it yourself under your or your trusts name.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
lol hope he picked a good name for his trust.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And since he was the original manufacturer maker it will remain engraved on it if you transfer it as an SBR on a Form 4,unless you have it stricken from the registry and he transfers it to you as a title 1 firearm and you Form 1 it yourself under your or your trusts name.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m interested in an NFA SBR that is already registered to another trust.  If I bought this SBR are there good options out there that would allow me to hide/mask/ cover the previous owners engraved trust name?
View Quote
You are free to hide/mask/cover it.

What you cannot do is "obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other identification of a firearm".
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are free to hide/mask/cover it.
What you cannot do is "obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other identification of a firearm".
View Quote
I concur.

See law and CFR in this post.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Only the maker's (in this case the person/trust/entity that originally registered the SBR) information is required on an SBR.

If you or your trust buys an NFA item on a Form 4, your info is on the Form 4, but no further engraving is needed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really. You could coat it with a thicker coating, but there really isn't anything you can do to hide it. I guess it would also depend on where the engraving is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Jb weld , almost matches most anodized finish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top