Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2018 10:05:05 PM EDT
I have an AR-10 bolt that I need to bush the firing pin on.  The bolt seems at first examination to be fairly hard, too hard to machine with high speed steel.  Anyone know if it's through hardened or case hardened.

The second question is, does any one know what Armalite did for the bolt in their .300 SAUM rifles.  Obviously, open the bolt face, but what of the extractor?  I want to build a 7MM SAUM upper, will do the barrel work myself.  Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Was looking at bushing my .22-250 upper bolt as it's firing pin hole was torched by some pierced primers.  I fit this barrel extension with .001 - ,0015 clearance and my new bolt has .004 longer lugs than the original.  I could drill with carbide and liquid N2 shrink an interference fit plug but I think fitting the new bolt will be easier and a more durable long term solution.

I'll call Armalite on the extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top