Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2020 8:30:48 AM EDT
Has anyone tried counter boring a barrel to insert a threaded adapter? Standard barrels can be very cheap compared to threaded ones so I was thinking about buying a spare to counter bore then thread in an 1/2x28 adapter. Adapter would bottom out in the counter bore and extend 1/2 or so.
All this on a very thick walled .22 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Happens all the time.
View Quote

Not the best idea. At issue is that once the bullet exits the rifling, the propelling gases rush out at about twice the velocity of the bullet. In air or a suppressor entrance chamber), this is not an issue. However in the confines of a tube slightly over bore diameter (as would be the case in an adapter threading into the barrel), the escaping gases can start tumbling with poor accuracy or possible baffle strikes.

If you have enough barrel thickness to do an internal threaded adapter, then you have enough thickness to choose an appropriate thread and do an external adapter, such as 7/16-28 in a 1/2" diameter barrel. In that way, the passage through the adapter can be significantly larger diameter with less upsetting of the bullet in flight.

As they say, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt."
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It is for a Ciener 22 conversion in a 1911. An external adapter would require more lathe work than I am comfortable with. A normal barrel is in stock and 50 bucks, a threaded barrel is 223 bucks and out of stock. Counter boring is boring and threading once and making and appropriately sized adapter. External would be turning the barrel, turning the adapter to fit the barrel bushing making an adapter with internal and external threads.
Guess I need to set the lathe up soon.
I hope I can find my 1/2x28 taps..... (single cut internal threads then clean up with tap)
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
External or internal, it's pretty much the same work.
For external:
Make the adapter, discounting final OD profile (to match barrel/bushing)
Chuck barrel, turn and thread.
Attach adapter (while still in lathe) and match OD's

Quoted:Not the best idea.
View Quote

The OP's Q was "Has anyone tried counter boring a barrel to insert a threaded adapter". He never asked whether or not it was a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've recently see lever actions countered bored for a threaded adapter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not the best idea. At issue is that once the bullet exits the rifling, the propelling gases rush out at about twice the velocity of the bullet. In air or a suppressor entrance chamber), this is not an issue. However in the confines of a tube slightly over bore diameter (as would be the case in an adapter threading into the barrel), the escaping gases can start tumbling with poor accuracy or possible baffle strikes.

View Quote

I do it all the time, never observed or had reported a degradation of accuracy.  The low clearance through an internal thread adapter is really no different than a lot of booster pistons or compensators.

In some cases, there are good reasons for or distinct advantages to doing an internal thread on the barrels.  Namely, it doesn't alter the profile or force cutting barrels back and/or relocating of sights, barrel bands, mag tube studs, etc.

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is for a Ciener 22 conversion in a 1911. An external adapter would require more lathe work than I am comfortable with. A normal barrel is in stock and 50 bucks, a threaded barrel is 223 bucks and out of stock. Counter boring is boring and threading once and making and appropriately sized adapter. External would be turning the barrel, turning the adapter to fit the barrel bushing making an adapter with internal and external threads.
Guess I need to set the lathe up soon.
I hope I can find my 1/2x28 taps..... (single cut internal threads then clean up with tap)
View Quote

Don't kid yourself about the work involved.  Doing internal barrel threading with adapters properly is no easier than external threading with adapters.

When I do them, the barrels are carefully dialed in and counterbored on the lathe with proper attention to the new, recessed crown.  They are threaded with rather expensive spiral flute bottoming taps, then a custom adapter is turned on another machine with a blank tenon on the front side.  The adapter is installed in the barrel, the shoulder faced and the threads cut, all without ever removing the barrel from the chuck.

Also, with very few exceptions, you don't want the adapter to bottom out in the counterbore.  It should be very close, but the adapter should square on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I do it all the time, never observed or had reported a degradation of accuracy.  The low clearance through an internal thread adapter is really no different than a lot of booster pistons or compensators.

In some cases, there are good reasons for or distinct advantages to doing an internal thread on the barrels.  Namely, it doesn't alter the profile or force cutting barrels back and/or relocating of sights, barrel bands, mag tube studs, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/mxSisLJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uqXKTKn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vpRW1Lu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZYpxzXr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2CkSeNz.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get those adapters and do they have a 1/2x28 one?
Not that it matters that much, as long as I have a tap I could make whatever thread I wanted in the counter bore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where did you get those adapters and do they have a 1/2x28 one?
Not that it matters that much, as long as I have a tap I could make whatever thread I wanted in the counter bore.
View Quote

He most likely makes them himself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He most likely makes them himself.
View Quote

They are very nice. Best I can do it ugly but functional.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/mxSisLJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uqXKTKn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vpRW1Lu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZYpxzXr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2CkSeNz.jpg
View Quote

This forum really needs a "Like" button for posts like these, very cool stuff as usual.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
External or internal, it's pretty much the same work.

The OP's Q was "Has anyone tried counter boring a barrel to insert a threaded adapter". He never asked whether or not it was a good idea.
View Quote

I have bored and internally threaded a barrel, and it is not a good idea. I am also an experienced machinist.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
@flowersforfoes
Nick at ECCO machine can probably help with your barrel needs
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@flowersforfoes
Nick at ECCO machine can probably help with your barrel needs
View Quote

Nick at ECCO = sixtysixduece
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doing the lords work he is
Thankyou
ETA

FWIW i was asking about the opposite of OP here.
CZ/1911/glock type action
Flush length, externally threaded end, (machined to barrel profile) thread protector/ extended adaptor to 1/2 x 28 or etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thankyou
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankyou

He’s doing a Beretta 81 for me
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Shieeit.  I've got a post war 48 dated Mosin M44 that was counterbored by the Soviets as part of a refurbishment program. They did this to a lot of Nagants regardless if the crown needed it or not. Something about keeping workers employed for party quotas most likely.  I doubt this post war rifle needed a counterbore as its one of the cleanest Nagants I ever have come across. This has me thinking if a threaded insert could make use of the already counterbored muzzle.   It would be cool to keep the original outward aesthetic of the muzzle and retain the use of the side folding bayo but able to utilize a threaded insert to suppress it with one of my cans if I wanted.  Maybe I'll have to see if Nick even thinks its feasible some day.

That was a hard shot to get by the way.  As you can see the counterbore was done pretty damn good.  This carbines definitely a good shooter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top