Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2022 8:47:55 PM EDT
Basic question, could a Ruger 77/357 or 77/44 be rechambered to work with .30 Carbine?  Seems like the COAL might fit, unless there's an element to the design that would prohibit such a thing (aside from the obvious one of "mags wouldn't work").

I like .30 Carbine.  I am aware of its limitations vs. rifle rounds, and also vs. pistol rounds.  I just think a lightweight handy .30 carbine bolt action could be fun.  This is largely a thought exercise, and not so much a serious proposition.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You can do almost anything with enough money. The important question is usually "Why?".
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
By rechambered do you mean rebarreled?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Wasn't there a lever action .30 Carbine?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I would track down a CZ model 527 to rebarrel.

Another option for a small action is a SAKO Vixen.  There are plenty that have been used up and ready for a refresh.

Either action would make a dandy .30 Carbine rifle.

I'm not a fan of Ruger model 77 rifles, but I'll admit I want to check out a 77/44.

Converting a magazine will be a challenge.  Reworking a .17 HMR magazine might be possible.
View Quote

I don't quite follow.  I would think an existing .30 Carbine mag like an M-1 or AMT mag would be far more suitable.  Or 3-D print a single stack or Mannlicher mag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I get that some folks just want something different but this wish is kind of out there.

Got to be pretty spendy to get a custom 308 barrel and fit it up to a bolt gun and beating together a magazine that works could kill the whole project.

How is anything that results from these dreams going to be any better than a good old fashioned GI M1carbine?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]
In addition to the new barrel and (likely custom) magazine, the bolt is also going to need work since the .30 carbine is rimless and a lot smaller than either .357 or .44.  Not sure exactly what the bolt face looks like; it may be impossible.  Since it's a smaller bolt face, the bolt modification may involve welding it up and re-machining, which would be iffy on the (presumably) cast bolt.  Then you get to figure out how to get it to extract and eject.  If it's even possible, you'd be looking at a few thousand dollars very easily.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, what about just getting an undrilled carbine bbl, and poof, you have a smooth operating straight pull bolt action, no mess, no fuss.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Been done to a Remington Mdl 7 in .223, , it looked pretty straightforward.  Not sure WHY though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If you rub it with enough money. Near anything is possible.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, what about just getting an undrilled carbine bbl, and poof, you have a smooth operating straight pull bolt action, no mess, no fuss.
View Quote

Quoted:
Been done to a Remington Mdl 7 in .223, , it looked pretty straightforward.  Not sure WHY though.
View Quote
May have been slightly inebriated when I came up with this thread.  

But the COALs seemed like they would be close enough on paper to justify asking.

This is by far one of the lesser idiotic things I've asked on this website.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure about the 30 Carbine but I have a 77/44 that I had rebarrelled and chambered in 357 x 44 Bain & Davis and it's a super nice shooter. Never hurts to dream, mine came true.

Steve........
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Start with a magazine designed for the action.

I own a rifle in an Elisio stock that uses a five round machined magazine that uses two screws to adjust function.  It's simple and it works, so that is also an option.  My only complaint is the wimpy feel of the follower spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I would track down a CZ model 527 to rebarrel.

Another option for a small action is a SAKO Vixen.  There are plenty that have been used up and ready for a refresh.

Either action would make a dandy .30 Carbine rifle.

I'm not a fan of Ruger model 77 rifles, but I'll admit I want to check out a 77/44.

Converting a magazine will be a challenge.  Reworking a .17 HMR magazine might be possible.

I don't quite follow.  I would think an existing .30 Carbine mag like an M-1 or AMT mag would be far more suitable.  Or 3-D print a single stack or Mannlicher mag.

Start with a magazine designed for the action.

I own a rifle in an Elisio stock that uses a five round machined magazine that uses two screws to adjust function.  It's simple and it works, so that is also an option.  My only complaint is the wimpy feel of the follower spring.

I would suggest starting w/ a magazine designed for the cartridge, then see how an adapter might fit that magazine to an existing action.  The little Ruger American has recently been adapted to AK mags, might start w/ the Ruger American in .300 Blackout, have a new bbl made, and 3-D print a magwell adapter for Carbine mags, OP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#19]
A 223 bolt face will be a lot closer than the 357 or 44 one would.   And you can get a Howa Mini in 223 for a lot less than a 77/357 or /44 is worth...

That said.... do you like the 30 carbine specifically?  Or do you like the idea of a 110ish grain 30 caliber bullet moving at about 2000fps  and the 30 carbine just happens to provide that?  'Cause that is awful close to low end 300 blackout ballistics and getting a working bolt gun, etc there is really trivial....

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Well that's horrifying.  
Quoted:
A 223 bolt face will be a lot closer than the 357 or 44 one would.   And you can get a Howa Mini in 223 for a lot less than a 77/357 or /44 is worth...

That said.... do you like the 30 carbine specifically?  Or do you like the idea of a 110ish grain 30 caliber bullet moving at about 2000fps  and the 30 carbine just happens to provide that?  'Cause that is awful close to low end 300 blackout ballistics and getting a working bolt gun, etc there is really trivial....

View Quote
I do indeed like .30 carbine specifically.  I stock it for my M1 Carbine.  And .300 Blackout has just never interested me, despite the fact that I reload.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top