Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2018 8:31:20 PM EDT
A friend has bought a house that had this safe in it and all house contents transferred with the sale.  The lady had died and the neighbors say the safe hadn’t been openned in 20-30 years.  It’s a mosler and serial number is 238064 on the handle.   It appears that would’ve been made in late 1911.

He wants to open the safe.   If I remember correctly, a safe technician can open the safe and then repair it so they could be utilized by him afterwards? Does anyone know ballpark what it would cost for a safe technician to perform this type of service?  He is located in the Houston area if that helps with pricing or if anyone has any recommendations.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Day 1
Sorry not GD.
but let us know what your friend finds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for the safe thread, but my guess would be $87.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Around here a $75 service call, and about $300 to open it, patch it up, and either decipher or set a working combination.  This is assuming that it's only a missing combination and not other issues that may be preventing it from opening.

There are a lot of scammers that will do it for less, and as a result destroy the safe in the process.  Also curious as to how the neighbors know when the safe was last opened.  I generally don't notify my neighbors when I'm in or out of mine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That will be a BEAUTIFUL specimen once cleaned up.

Can't help you with pricing. You'll want an ALOA certified safe and vault tech. It's kind of a niche market, so no telling what they will charge, you know?

There are two ways in, destructive and non-destructive (that is, assuming the relockers if present, haven't fired, and the dial pack is intact and functional). I don't know what the value of that safe in unmolested condition is, so that's a figure I'd want to have before negotiating.

Once you know that, you'll know if the non-destructive route (which generally is more expensive) is right for you.

Edit: Upon reflection, consider looking up your state's TOOOL group, and see if they have any safe whisperers. Might be a 0 cost way in...
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
safe cracking alot of how to vids

Jeff Sitar - Champion Safe Cracker
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also curious as to how the neighbors know when the safe was last opened.  I generally don't notify my neighbors when I'm in or out of mine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Around here a $75 service call, and about $300 to open it, patch it up, and either decipher or set a working combination.  This is assuming that it's only a missing combination and not other issues that may be preventing it from opening.

There are a lot of scammers that will do it for less, and as a result destroy the safe in the process.  Also curious as to how the neighbors know when the safe was last opened.  I generally don't notify my neighbors when I'm in or out of mine.
View Quote
My WAG is maybe she didn’t know the combination and it hadn’t been open since her husband died, which might’ve been 20 to 30 years ago
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If destructive, then going in the back, and hope the lock is not blocked with dividers, then the lock could be dismantled and a new combination set.
Then the back rebuilt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]
and hope the lock is not blocked with dividers  
View Quote
No idea what's in it now, but when that safe left the factory it would have had dividers.  It may have had a second key locking door, and it may also have a solid rear door cover.  10% chance you have unobstructed access to the lock from the rear.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No idea what's in it now, but when that safe left the factory it would have had dividers.  It may have had a second key locking door, and it may also have a solid rear door cover.  10% chance you have unobstructed access to the lock from the rear.
View Quote
This guy knows what he's talking about!  Great service as well. He installed my safe a few years back and opened my brother's old safe for him a few weeks ago, and you can't tell anything was ever done to it. Great dude!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top