Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2018 4:33:25 PM EDT
So a buddy of mine just got a Cordura sheet in multicam with adhesive on the back from Gearskin. Some Euro company.  He ordered off eBay and it look over a month but he did get it. He wrapped a kydex holster in it and it appears to be quality.

I was shocked when he told me nobody else was offering cordura with adhesive backing. Gearskin seems to be it and not sure they are reliable yet.

Any other players out there that are offering ready to wrap sheets? What is the alternative, are folks just buying regular cordura and using some spray adhesive?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have just used weldrod fabric cement, i just do small stuff. The isn't much demand since companies that do it have in house processes and civilians don't do it enough for there to be many companies making it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I apply my own adhesive to the Cordura
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I apply my own adhesive to the Cordura
View Quote
What do you normally use? I have used the 3M spray stuff with some success, but its not a perfect seal... I tried some contact cement I had and its didn't work. Even when it set up and got tacky, when I stuck the nylon to a kydex holster and let it set up for 24 hours, it came right off and left the glue on the holster. Seems like it didn't bond at all to the cordura nylon fabric.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What's your environment like, temp/humidity?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I should specify that I don't apply the Cordura to kydex. That makes a big difference; my adhesive won't work very well for that application. I would recommend roughing up the back of the fabric with some sandpaper--like, 60 grit. Need to get through that urethane coating. It makes quite a difference for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The best way to really laminate cordura and kydex together is with a good industrial adhesive (like a two-part cement), along with heat and pressure.  Obviously you're gonna have to watch the heat with the kydex.  Something like putting your gun or mold into the holster and using closed-cell foam/plywood to apply pressure.

If you don't do this, most typical glue joints between dissimilar materials will fail.

When I worked at Bianchi/Gregory they had this huge press, that laminated closed-cell foam to "ballistic nylon" for the holsters and pouches.  They used "wet suit cement" along with pressure, and a little heat.  The pressure made all the difference.  The heat just speeded up the process I think.

I would think uncoated cordura would be best, as somebody mentioned, or find a way to break down the urethane coating for adhesion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Hisco is a company that offers adhesive backed Cordura in roll form.  It's used most of the time for wrapping plates.  I'm not sure what adhesive they use but it is darker in color and has a real distinct smell.  I've seen MC, tan, black, and coyote.  I use the 1000D stuff as a skin for rifle shields.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
All great suggestions above.

I've covered 2 different duty holsters w fabric.  Both have been in use for around 2-3 years and otherwise stored in a gear bag in the trunk of my ride thru all 4 seasons.

The first one, a safariland 6280 was done w fabric from the legs of some old USGI multicam ACU's that I had cut into shorts.  Kind of lame I know, but it was an experiment and ended up turning out pretty well.  First I stripped the holster of all bolts, etc.  I then followed the directions for a permanent bond using the strongest spray adhesive I could find at Home Depot (spray both surfaces, let sit until tacky, apply).  I just pressed the fabric in with my fingers.  I used a soldering iron to poke out the holes and clean up the edges.

The second one I did was a 6390.  I was worried as  this holster has much more detail.  This  time I used some ranger green 500d cordura w the poly coating on one side.  It too turned out pretty good and was much easier to clean up than the FR multicam material.  The 500d material was just pliable enough to fill in the relief.  I wouldn't try any thicker material than this.

Anyways, that's how my cheap ass did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top