Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2018 12:09:47 PM EDT
So something happened the other night which qualifies as the coolest thing I’ve ever done with NV on.

What’s the coolest thing you’ve guys have ever done or eeen with NV? Animals?  Battle?  Bigfoot?

I want to say mine is the first time I actually put gen three on and realized just how much of a super power it is but the other might I was out by the pool with my wife, pitch black, I had my duals on and she.....ahem......managed to find....something. With her mouth.

I had to remember to turn them off before I dragged her inside to finish. First time I’ve ever just left them sitting around and said fuck it, I’ll get them later lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Gave an AC-130 something to turn into paste.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
the night sky in Palo Duro canyon. borrowed a gen 3 from a buddy and to see the canyon walls come up like broad daylight was cool, but to see more stars than I ever even imagined was enough to make me start saving for my own set.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
By far it was the first time I tried NV.  We all (3 of us) were given a 14 on a bump helmet, rifles with lasers, a driver who knew the ranch using dual 14s, and loaded into an off road buggy to go kill some hogs.  Everything animal wise held still as we flew by.  Deer just staring at us like WTF.  We find a pig at a feeder about 100 yards out, get out, in a nice line and shoot on the count of three.  It was one of those experiences where I realized how much I didn’t know.  How it felt to be hauling ass in the middle of the night, blacked out to the regular world, roll up and shoot.  It felt like a glimpse in the SF world, by far nothing much at risk but real enough to get the rush.  The fact it happened as my first experience being totally naive to anything but a mediocre flashlight made it all the more intense.  It’s the biggest thrill I think I’ll ever see with NV.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Nukes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Towed a Humvee from Baghdad international airport back to our fob doing like 50 practically blind because of the dust and sand plus driving in blackout with nvgs. Who here knows how fun it is to lock up the air brakes on a hemmt wrecker and almost kiss the ass of a Stryker? Lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The single most legit way to shoot anything from anything is the 30mm of an Apache through NVGs with the barrel mounted IZLID laser as your 'sight' while the gun is slaved to your helmet.

Of all the shit I've ever done, this is the most awesome.

Seeing the laser bounce around from the recoil, feeling it pitch the nose of the aircraft low, and smelling the burnt powder while watching sparks from the 30mm impact under NVG - only to point the laser with your head to the next target and pull the trigger again is about the coolest shit you can imagine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Chasing armadillos and rabbits with go-karts and atvs,

Yes alcohol was involved.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Driving a humvee at 55 mph in full blackout with PVS-7's in the very dark forests of Fort Drum.

Watching a brigade night live fire at NTC.

Neither compares to anything AC-130 or Apache though!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
M1A1 Abrams MBT 120MM Main Gun while standing in the Commander’s Hatch.

Anything viewed through an LRAS3.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
No mil experience - but in the civ world, watching two bucks sparring in a bean field while stalking up to pile of pigs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting to show people night vision for the first time.

Never gets old
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
So far I’m going to have to say tearing shit up with some kind of airship sounds like it takes the cake lol. I’m jealous.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Nobody's tried helicopter hog hunting at night?  Or is it illegal?  That's probably as close to airship kills as a civilian can get!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a good question.  I will have to think about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lotta time in Iraq and Afghanistan under NODs and Thermal systems. Too many to name.
View Quote
Definitely seems like the military guys have a leg up on this one.

I’ve wstched a couple of YouTube vids that guys on the ground filmed while some kind of attack chopper (I’m not versed in identifying them and even if I was it was at night) destroy a ground target with a mini gun that seemed to be loaded with nothing but tracers lol

ETA found one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c0GyZkawz3s
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Out doing some night patrolling practice with some dudes who had little time under NODs when the incoming alarms start going apeshit. Hit the deck and roll over to see the 107mm arcing in and then 2 separate Phalanx gun systems let 'er rip. Seeing a couple hundred rounds of 30mm trying to intercept a rocket and then it going high order while laying in the dirt was pretty sweet.

Second was hitting golf balls off the top of the FST into the SF compound under NODs and watching an Apache fuck up a bunch of dudes on the hillside about a klick out was pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Watching various USSOCOM units assault objectives (stateside).

Or Cola Warrior..
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
being 12-14 deep out in a cotton field messing with a coyote call when another guy with NVG brings one of the local deputies out.  The look on his face when he realized how many of us were there and how grossly under"privileged" he was at the moment was priceless.

like pbjunkie said, I always enjoy introducing new people to the dark life
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

20mm, the CWIS/CRAM is a 20mm
View Quote
Didn't know that, thanks for the correction!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Last night I took a walk down our driveway in the country with a set of Gen 1 Czech Surplus. It was the first thing I've ever done under NV. The feeling was an indescribable one.  It likely won't be the coolest thing I'll ever do, or anything special to anyone here, but it's one I likely won't ever forget.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Getting to show people night vision for the first time.

Never gets old
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last night I took a walk down our driveway in the country with a set of Gen 1 Czech Surplus. It was the first thing I've ever done under NV. The feeling was an indescribable one.  It likely won't be the coolest thing I'll ever do, or anything special to anyone here, but it's one I likely won't ever forget.
View Quote
Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Landing my helicopter in a tight ass LZ at the bottom of 100 foot
trees on a moonless night that was darker than the inside of a cow. I guess that was one of the cooler things I’ve done and I’ve done a few of those.

Coolest thing I’ve seen was last year there was some space debris that burned in atmo for about a minute, saw it while flying back to base and it looked amazing under goggles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top