Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2018 6:34:43 PM EDT
I've had a 1942 CMP Garand for about 4 years now and love it. It's my favorite rifle, period. Earlier this year I bought a full-length JRA M14 since I've always liked the look of the M14 and enjoy the M1 so much.

So far, it's been "meh." For some reason, I just don't find the M14 as compelling as the M1, and shoot it slightly worse to boot. I attended the KY HT shoot this past weekend and shot the M1 nearly exclusively. That's just how it worked out. Hits were fairly easy on steel at nearly 300yds, and 100yd steel was nearly 100%. The M14 is longer than the M1, feels more awkwardly balanced (to me), and this particular example doesn't have the character of an old milsurp. Yes, I know that's subjective.

Now, I'm looking at it thinking what I could buy with the money invested in it. It's just not that different from the M1.

What does the hive think I should do? What would you do in the situation?

EDIT: There are a couple things I could do, including going for a shorter M14 which I actually think I'd like. I wavered between the 22" and 19.25" JRA offerings for awhile. Had a hunch that I'd like the para better but went with the traditional.

Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only dream of having one
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You could donate it to me, I’ll shoot it.

ETA: I’ve always really wanted one, but I honestly don’t think they’re worth what they cost. I wouldn’t have that kind of cash tied up in a rifle like that if it didn’t have some kind of history to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't get rid of it. You will regret it.
View Quote
I would agree with this advice. You have one of the better built M14 clone rifles. If you sell it, later on you will regret it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't get rid of it. You will regret it.
View Quote
I'm inclined to agree.

However I think I might try to trade locally for the shorter 19.25" "paratrooper" JRA. It's the one I kinda wanted back when I bought this one, but the traditionalist in me won out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Save up and buy used. It's doable. Hang out over on the M14 Forum and nice guns pop up there all the time for good prices.

Quoted:

ETA: I’ve always really wanted one, but I honestly don’t think they’re worth what they cost. I wouldn’t have that kind of cash tied up in a rifle like that if it didn’t have some kind of history to it.
Yeah, they're pricey. I've had more in ARs, so perhaps my conception of "too much" is skewed. I expect tough, reliable guns to cost over $1000.

You can get an older used SAI for around $1200.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
So you paid like $1,500 for that JRA?
It's hard to imagine having that much invested since most of my M14-type rifles cost half that, but they're Chinese.

If you can get your money back, I would go ahead and sell it. I predict the market share will only get smaller for M14 type rifles. At $1,500 you're over halfway to a SCAR 17, which is superior in every way except historical nature. You said you don't really appreciate a milsurp feel with this JRA, so I don't think you'd be missing out on anything.

I personally like the feel, handling, and performance of the M14 more than the M1 Garand (which is partly because of my exposure to the M14 in Marine JROTC). I struggled with the thought of getting a Garand for a while, because that same money would fetch me another M14 (or something else) but knew I wanted one for their historical significance. Finally I found a deal on a '44 Winchester for $600 (came with ammo and clips). This was back in 2011. Eventually I'll get a good deal on a SCAR 17, and have the best modern battle rifle as well.

I guess I'm just not as into battle rifles as when I was a teenager. I obtained most of the classics (FAL, G3, M14, M1, SVT40, K98k, M1903, M91/30) but I got into assault rifles, SMGs, and belt-feds. Those are usually more fun. I do still enjoy medium to long range position shooting with BRs on occasion. And the M14A1 when I want the retro, full recoil, Commie-slayer.

I think you'd like a short version if you do keep an M14-type, although I don't own one personally. They handle well, but I like clones of issued guns (or the actual issued guns. Even better.)

I voted get what you want, whatever that is. YOLO!
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had all three versions of the Springfield M1A, the standard, the scout, and the Socom.

I’ve sold the scout but I still have the standard and the Socom. I’ve sold the scout but I still have the standard and the shorter Socom.

I love the short rifle the best, it is the handiest and the funnest to shoot and still has great range. My vote is get the shorter one that you really want. You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's hard to imagine having that much invested since most of my M14-type rifles cost half that, but they're Chinese.

If you can get your money back, I would go ahead and sell it. I predict the market share will only get smaller for M14 type rifles. At $1,500 you're over halfway to a SCAR 17, which is superior in every way except historical nature. You said you don't really appreciate a milsurp feel with this JRA, so I don't think you'd be missing out on anything.

I personally like the feel, handling, and performance of the M14 more than the M1 Garand (which is partly because of my exposure to the M14 in Marine JROTC). I struggled with the thought of getting a Garand for a while, because that same money would fetch me another M14 (or something else) but knew I wanted one for their historical significance. Finally I found a deal on a '44 Winchester for $600 (came with ammo and clips). This was back in 2011. Eventually I'll get a good deal on a SCAR 17, and have the best modern battle rifle as well.

I guess I'm just not as into battle rifles as when I was a teenager. I obtained most of the classics (FAL, G3, M14, M1, SVT40, K98k, M1903, M91/30) but I got into assault rifles, SMGs, and belt-feds. Those are usually more fun. I do still enjoy medium to long range position shooting with BRs on occasion. And the M14A1 when I want the retro, full recoil, Commie-slayer.

I think you'd like a short version if you do keep an M14-type, although I don't own one personally. They handle well, but I like clones of issued guns (or the actual issued guns. Even better.)

View Quote
Yep, I bought it new. I wouldn't say I regret it, but it's not my favorite purchase.

Man, I'd save for a SCAR in a heartbeat if I could get one locally for under $3k. I'm just not seeing it though. That's my dream rifle. As cool as the M1/M14/M1As are, you can't deny that something like the 17S would be a better all-around gun in any real-world scenario.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Save up and buy used. It's doable. Hang out over on the M14 Forum and nice guns pop up there all the time for good prices.

Yeah, they're pricey. I've had more in ARs, so perhaps my conception of "too much" is skewed. I expect tough, reliable guns to cost over $1000.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve got over 2k in one of my ARs, so it isn’t so much cost as it is value, in my eyes.
An all original Vietnam era M14 built on a quality semi receiver, sure. A newly manufactured copy? Meh.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’ve got over 2k in one of my ARs, so it isn’t so much cost as it is value, in my eyes.
An all original Vietnam era M14 built on a quality semi receiver, sure. A newly manufactured copy? Meh.
View Quote
you realize they are basically the same, right?

the new manu parts on the Bula and LRB's are equal to if not better than GI stuff from that era,

and Springfield does not build a bad rifle
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the new manu parts on the Bula and LRB's are equal to if not better than GI stuff from that era,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not referring to quality, I’m a history buff, so newly manufactured guns just don’t appeal as much.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man, I'd save for a SCAR in a heartbeat if I could get one locally for under $3k. I'm just not seeing it though. That's my dream rifle. As cool as the M1/M14/M1As are, you can't deny that something like the 17S would be a better all-around gun in any real-world scenario.
View Quote
Why does it have to be local? Get it shipped. You can pick from the whole U.S.
I guess I'm spoiled because I can have most stuff shipped straight to work (if the shipper cooperates).
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
While I voted to keep it, it's your money, your rifles, and your choice.  If you like it, keep it.  If you want something more than it and can't afford both, then sell it.  I'm betting you're younger than 40.  Seems like the younger folks are more driven to follow what others tell them they should like or should do or should think than any other generation in a long time.  You shouldn't make decisions about your life based on what other people say or do.  It's your life, not theirs.  Live it your way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gone are the days $3k will net you a new Scar 17 without getting lucky on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While I voted to keep it, it's your money, your rifles, and your choice.  If you like it, keep it.  If you want something more than it and can't afford both, then sell it.  I'm betting you're younger than 40.  Seems like the younger folks are more driven to follow what others tell them they should like or should do or should think than any other generation in a long time.  You shouldn't make decisions about your life based on what other people say or do.  It's your life, not theirs.  Live it your way.
View Quote
Oh don't worry, I'll do what I want. I just believe that getting good advice is always good, even if the final decision is mine alone.

Perhaps its a generational thing; I think of it as prudence and acknowledgement that I don't always have all the information.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess I'm spoiled because I can have most stuff shipped straight to work (if the shipper cooperates).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Long explanation; it's just preference.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone are the days $3k will net you a new Scar 17 without getting lucky on gunbroker.
This. Those things are just so obscenely expensive now. Plus, most of the owners "upgrade" them to the point that they cost 2x and then refuse to part them out. The rifle's fine how it is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had 7 of them, now down to 5: one each of the major manufacturers of the day (TRW, Springfield Armory, HRA, and Winchester as safe queens) and an extra Winchester to shoot.

I have contemplated selling several of them along with my trove of excellent USGI parts in order to fund new interests. There is a lot of money wrapped up in stuff my heirs will not appreciate.

But then I conclude that I'm not hurting for the money, and the next ban may (somehow) exclude the M1A/M14 and I'll still have something battle worthy. So I hang on.

In a perfect world, I might be inclined to sell them. Collecting rifles and mint parts was fun for several years, but I don't geek over the platform any more.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This. Those things are just so obscenely expensive now. Plus, most of the owners "upgrade" them to the point that they cost 2x and then refuse to part them out. The rifle's fine how it is.
View Quote
A coworker bought a used 17S for $2,500 a couple months ago. It was bone stock, of course.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
The M14 is an inferior combat rifle. But it is a fun range rifle and enjoyable to shoot. Keep it. Buy more guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The M14 is an inferior combat rifle. But it is a fun range rifle and enjoyable to shoot. Keep it. Buy more guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wish it was that simple.

Quoted:

A coworker bought a used 17S for $2,500 a couple months ago. It was bone stock, of course.
Boy I'd love to come across something like that. Lots of stories out there...I've personally never seen it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had 7 of them, now down to 5: one each of the major manufacturers of the day (TRW, Springfield Armory, HRA, and Winchester as safe queens) and an extra Winchester to shoot.

I have contemplated selling several of them along with my trove of excellent USGI parts in order to fund new interests. There is a lot of money wrapped up in stuff my heirs will not appreciate.

But then I conclude that I'm not hurting for the money, and the next ban may (somehow) exclude the M1A/M14 and I'll still have something battle worthy. So I hang on.

In a perfect world, I might be inclined to sell them. Collecting rifles and mint parts was fun for several years, but I don't geek over the platform any more.
View Quote
That is definitley a point in favor of the platform, though they are specifically banned by name in some states.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Say it this way, IMHO.....

For a TARGET rifle (w/military iron sights) the M1 and the M1a because of it's sights is the bee's knees.  OK.  IF, I could get over the stock configuration (pistol grip).   Maybe, I could go for the M16 series.

So then, scope shooting is not exactly what I want to do.  But, it's not like I can see good enough anymore (at aged 60) for irons.   OK, Ok, ok.......25 yards.  LOL.*

SCAR 17.....well, I've never owned one.

Bottom Line : You'll have to make up your own mind, how you like to shoot and what works best for you.

*I wonder if kids now a days can even shoot with irons.  YES, I know that there are some.  But given, that the military issues them a rifle with an optical sight.....maybe, they'll be lost without it?   Not to mention, how to use a sling.  Besides just as a carrying implement.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For a TARGET rifle (w/military iron sights) the M1 and the M1a because of it's sights is the bee's knees.  OK.  IF, I could get over the stock configuration (pistol grip).   Maybe, I could go for the M16 series.

So then, scope shooting is not exactly what I want to do.  But, it's not like I can see good enough anymore (at aged 60) for irons.   OK, Ok, ok.......25 yards.  LOL.*

Bottom Line : You'll have to make up your own mind, how you like to shoot and what works best for you.

*I wonder if kids now a days can even shoot with irons.  YES, I know that there are some.  But given, that the military issues them a rifle with an optical sight.....maybe, they'll be lost without it?

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
For a target rifle, with Irons the AR-15 can be much, MUCH more accurate than a M1A.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Keep it if you're a gun collector.

Ditch it if you don't collect and only keep guns around that you own for strictly utilitarian purposes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Impressive!
Are we talking about rifles with original receivers, welded-back-together receivers, or civilian receivers with parts from each maker?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't bring it upon myself to sell a gun.  I can't give advice to anyone else to sell a gun.  Buy guns!

Keep your M14.  History piece.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If one owns an M1 rifle, it sort of seems natural to me to own an M14-type rifle too in the sense that one led to the development of the other and the latter compliments the former in a collection.

I say keep it.  You purchased it to scratch some sort of itch you had, so you may as well hang on to it for now.

You may develop a more thorough interest in it later on down the road, which has happened to me with other types of rifles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

*I wonder if kids now a days can even shoot with irons.  YES, I know that there are some.  But given, that the military issues them a rifle with an optical sight.....maybe, they'll be lost without it?   Not to mention, how to use a sling.  Besides just as a carrying implement.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
BRM is still conducted with irons so far as I know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Impressive!
Are we talking about rifles with original receivers, welded-back-together receivers, or civilian receivers with parts from each maker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Impressive!
They are all sub-89000 serial number commercial Springfield Armory receivers, each built up with choice USGI parts. The barrels were already installed, and some simple things like the oprod spring guide have been upgraded to Sadlak. All barrels, oprods, bolts, trigger groups, gas cylinders, and everything else are USGI. And I have sealed containers of flash hiders, castle nuts, and gas cylinders (and maybe a few other components). Plus a collection of spare bolts, oprods, trigger groups, sight bases, springs, pins, and other schwag.

ETA: And stocks. I have several walnut and birch stocks, some with good cartouches.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice!

Yeah man that's serious money now.
Do you have any in A1 (or E2) configuration?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread needs some pics/video. Let's help OP out here.

(not my pic)
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
you say you are disappointed in the M1A. How many rds have you fired through it and what ammo are you using? The M1A should shoot as accurately as your Garand if not better
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Too bad my GI bi-pod would dent my very nice E-2 stock where the feet rub it, so I never use the two together, but rather on my $10 GI fiberglass instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Too bad my GI bi-pod would dent my very nice E-2 stock where the feet rub it, so I never use the two together, but rather on my $10 GI fiberglass instead.
I keep the black elastic keeper (that comes with a nylon BDU belt) on my stock to prevent that. It's anachronistic but doesn't look bad.

I prefer a fiberglass GI stock for actual field use (without any bipod).

I had a newish SA NM and didn't like the black painted look finish and lack of bayonet lug compared to my 1990 SA standard and offed it.
You could've just replaced the flash suppressor assembly and had the whole rifle parkerized. That's relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#36]
If your not the sentimental type ditch it and get the shorter one you want. Me I went the opposite way. Had both a SOCOM II and a standard configuration, I got rid of the SOCOM II because I had other things that could do the same job and I like the classic M-14 clone look.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
you say you are disappointed in the M1A. How many rds have you fired through it and what ammo are you using? The M1A should shoot as accurately as your Garand if not better
View Quote
About 200rds of Malaysian 147gr surplus. I grouped 4" off a bench first time out.

It shoots fine, it just doesn't do anything better than the Garand, IMO. And since I'm not in battle the magazine isn't much of an improvement. My Garand shoots great, handles great, and has a historical pedigree.

I've decided to put off a final decision until after my father-in-law gets to shoot it. He qualified with an M14 back in '68 before deploying to Vietnam. After that I'll see what I want to do; whatever happens I don't want to get something harder to sell.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

About 200rds of Malaysian 147gr surplus. I grouped 4" off a bench first time out.

It shoots fine, it just doesn't do anything better than the Garand, IMO. And since I'm not in battle the magazine isn't much of an improvement. My Garand shoots great, handles great, and has a historical pedigree.

I've decided to put off a final decision until after my father-in-law gets to shoot it. He qualified with an M14 back in '68 before deploying to Vietnam. After that I'll see what I want to do; whatever happens I don't want to get something harder to sell.
View Quote
I've always felt the same way when I had M1s and M1As concurrently, and have sold off the M1As for that reason. They don't really do anything better than the M1, and the M1 is cooler. I don't like having a $1500 paperweight in my safe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a M1A Socom and a M1. I had a M1A a few years back and stupidly sold it and regret it.

I say keep it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've always felt the same way when I had M1s and M1As concurrently, and have sold off the M1As for that reason. They don't really do anything better than the M1, and the M1 is cooler. I don't like having a $1500 paperweight in my safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The accuracy potential for a standard M14 or M14-type rifle is much better than 4 MOA by at least half that value.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the JRA 22" Military Classic M14. I know it not made with USGI parts but looks nice and the parts were made by Bula Defense. It is a nice shooting rifle but I have fired it less than 100 rounds so far. I have downgraded the walnut hand guard to a fiberglass hand guard instead so I would not burn the walnut hand guard if I did  a 20 round magazine dump. I thought I burned my hand guard was I did the mag dump but when I took it off the hard guard at home it was undamaged. I will keep the walnut hard guard just is in case I want to sell it but I consider my M14 a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow the Scar 17 prices have gotten even stupider!  Inferior plastic lower and fragile cheek riser. Extruded aluminum and plastic please.
If one is invested in M-14 type platform may as well ride it out.
Those that are just getting into .308 battle rifles should get into AR-10’s or just get into the 6.5 Grendel and stick with the AR-15 types.  6.5 Grendel performs as well as 7.62x51 for almost anything.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Over the years I've bought a lot of guns that I was really excited to own until I actually owned them.  A hung onto a few for longer than I should have.  If you don't: have pride of ownership; enjoyment from shooting it; or need for it (self-defense, ranch use, etc) then ... why keep it?

A lot of people are accumulators, but I'm more pragmatic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wow the Scar 17 prices have gotten even stupider!  Inferior plastic lower and fragile cheek riser. Extruded aluminum and plastic please.
Those that are just getting into .308 battle rifles should get into AR-10’s or just get into the 6.5 Grendel and stick with the AR-15 types.  6.5 Grendel performs as well as 7.62x51 for almost anything.
View Quote
Have you used a SCAR-17?  It doesn't sound like it.

Polymer parts? Check
Factory adjustable cheek riser? Check
Aluminum receiver? Check

FN Quality? Check
Lightweight? Check
Accurate? Check
Can be rebuilt without use of an armorer? Check

The M14 is a neat gun, but you have to divorce emotion / affection from gun evaluations.

Do you happen to own a Glock or is it "all 1911s" for you?

FOR DISCLOSURE: I own all of the listed guns: 1911, Glock, M1A, and Scar-H.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#46]
BTW: A quality SR25 can be MORE expensive than a SCAR-H.

Just say'n.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Over the years I've bought a lot of guns that I was really excited to own until I actually owned them.  A hung onto a few for longer than I should have.  If you don't: have pride of ownership; enjoyment from shooting it; or need for it (self-defense, ranch use, etc) then ... why keep it?

A lot of people are accumulators, but I'm more pragmatic.
View Quote
This is pretty much my thinking.

I bought it with money from my grandmother, so I'm reluctant to sell it and then roll the money into loans. Might get a good Kentucky longrifle, since I'm into BP and have wanted one for awhile. I'm more sure I'd like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Polymer parts? Check
Aluminum receiver? Check

FN Quality? Check
Lightweight? Check
Accurate? Check

The M14 is a neat gun, but you have to divorce emotion / affection from gun evaluations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polymer parts? Check
Aluminum receiver? Check

FN Quality? Check
Lightweight? Check
Accurate? Check

Yes I own 1911’s.  But even more Glocks and Even a product from FNH, the Five-Seven.
The SCAR is just crazy money.  One does not need to be particularly skilled to rebuild an AR-style rifle that is much cheaper and comparable.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Reload for it and you will love it more
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Get an AR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top