Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2021 2:50:18 PM EDT
Alright everyone, I am starting this new thread from the original Perst-3 lasers thread (ar15.com/forums/Armory/Perst-3-lasers-/18-495277/), as this will be more tailored to the Perst-4 crowd. If anyone remembers, I designed and am now selling the 3D caps for the perst 2, 3, and 4 that help cut down the ugly spill that is present in the zenitco lasers. For some, this is a dealbreaker in selecting a different vendor, but, having a civilian full power laser is a lot of fun. Thank you to everyone who has been supporting me by purchasing these. In these uncertain times, if I am let go for not taking the jab, then maybe this will be what keeps food on my cats plates, so thank you!

A couple of weeks ago I started designing a new cap for the Perst-4's IR laser that in theory could use the spill created into something useful like the Perst-3's soft/diffused illuminator. Here are the results:

Original design

Re-design

And a comparison between by P3 and P4's illuminator capabilities

Lastly, I made a video, and I think this really gives everyone an idea of how well this project has turned out

Convert zenitco perst-4 into an IR dual laser + illuminator (diffused)

Let me know what you guys think! I'll be posting these up on ebay as soon as I can figure out how quickly I can turn these out, the hardest part so far is finding a tool that cuts really clean holes for the laser aperture, the material I am using is very rubbery and doesn't do well when cutting small holes into it..
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet dude I have been running your covers on my Perst-3's and they're awesome.  Good luck here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.

What's that cap on the end of your sionyx?
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet dude I have been running your covers on my Perst-3's and they're awesome.  Good luck here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for the feedback! These caps have proven to be quite popular!

Quoted:
Tagged.

What's that cap on the end of your sionyx?

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/784285118/irnightshade-lens-flare-eliminator-for
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to buy one asap.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe use something heated to cut that hole?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks really good, I'd be interested in two!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
SWEET!!!  are these up for sale yet?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#8]
This is pretty cool! I've always liked the PERST-4 inside structures because the dirty laser acts like an illuminator lol. This takes it to the next level.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
@hallway_monitor ready for sale yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Another user ready to try one out......

I ordered yet another Perst4 and got it in 5 days. Zenitco used a different carrier than normal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I ordered yet another Perst4 and got it in 5 days. Zenitco used a different carrier than normal.
View Quote

Crazy!

I ordered one from Russian thunder after christmas. Tracking number says label created but no movement.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Would love one of these.  If you don't mind, shoot me a PM when these are available.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Crazy!

I ordered one from Russian thunder after christmas. Tracking number says label created but no movement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy!

I've done three orders, all through Ivan Tactical. The first was in Feb 2020 right before shit went to hell and my Perst-2 got lost. Ordered a second and then the first one and it arrived 20 days after ordering so I paid to keep the original order. Second order was summer of 2021 and it arrived in about 10 days. Last order was during this past Black Friday sale and they were about 10-12 days again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a few questions. If you put this cap on, do you lose the aiming laser?  As in cap off = ir laser only, cap on = illuminator only.

And how far does it illuminate?  75 yards?  400 yards?  Is it floody? Is it more focused?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Got in touch with OP and these will be sold, just not ready yet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I am waiting for a custom hole puncher to arrive from china, should be here in the next few days, and if it all tests properly I will put them up on ebay, thanks for waiting!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I am waiting for a custom hole puncher to arrive from china, should be here in the next few days, and if it all tests properly I will put them up on ebay, thanks for waiting!
View Quote
My wallet is ready. Pretty cool and novel use of a somewhat "dirty" FP laser to diffuse some output for indoor illumination.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#19]
yep, looking forward to trying it out
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Tagging as well
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

They sell sets of punches that you use with a hammer to cut holes in rubber gasket material for diy automotive gaskets, they're made to make clean holes in rubber might be the ticket if that doesn't work out for ya.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Thank you all for your patience, I'll be putting this up for sale on ebay starting this Monday. Since I can't post ebay links on here, I'll be posting it over on my youtube channel's description, link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECJw0FjrmJM
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Any chance of getting some outdid photos?   Curious to see how far it's usable
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Hello.

With a light source as small as an edge-emitting laser and a non active diffusing stage (active ones would be rotating or vibrating diffusers (vibrating ones are better because the diffuser usually moves on more than one axis)) one should always use TWO diffusers spaced apart (<- depends on how coarse/fine each sheet is, one has to experiment with it). Otherwise you get what you see in these pictures.

Basically and especially because of the extreme small point-lightscource an edge-emitter is, the latter acts as a projector which simply outputs a picture of the transparent structure it shines through. That is also valid for the spill of that light source.

By using two diffusers with some spacing between them the projected structures of both are overlapping and mixed on the targeted surface which leads to a much better signal to noise result (= much less/softened artefacts competing with the details you actually want to see/reveal in the area you´re looking/shining at).

Additionally do two diffuser-stages help to reduce the annoying laser-glare (coherent light).

A setup with at least one diffuser (stage) attached to an elastically to the diffuser housing mounted small flat-type vibration/signaling motor like the ones used for example in phones achieves the best results. The light coming out of such an active diffuser looks as if it was generated by a non coherent source.

Here, VCSELs (arrays) have the advantage to produce diffuse laserlight right from the source. But: if you really want to go FAR with your light AND use small optics, VCSELs have the same problem as LED based lightsources have: at max. focus you get an annoying picture of the light source (lens based systems are projectors) Therefore edge-emitting lasers plus a preferably active diffusing stage are still the gold standard for reaching out far with a small package.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Good info, thanks.  One question, mein Herr, are Zenitco lasers easy to get in Deutschland?   They don't have to go as far (which can be good or bad I suppose) but you still have your Customs to import such things.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Up for sale on ebay!

Check the youtube link up top for the direct links to my ebay post
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Ordered.  Be interested to see how this works.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Feel free to post pictures of how it works out!

I was very surprised at how it performed, especially when I upped the IR levels. In a CQB environment it will absolutely light up a room.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Feel free to post pictures of how it works out!

I was very surprised at how it performed, especially when I upped the IR levels. In a CQB environment it will absolutely light up a room.
View Quote

Just ordered one, thanks for doing this!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Guten Abend Herr Diz.

Quoted:
[...] One question, mein Herr, are Zenitco lasers easy to get in Deutschland? They don't have to go as far (which can be good or bad I suppose) but you still have your Customs to import such things.
View Quote

There´s a bigger problem before/than any of those considerations of Getting and Paying:

In Germany it is not allowed to own any device which is designed for projecting markings of any kind onto a target or which is designed to illuminate a target AND which comes with an integrated part that allows the device to be mounted to another device that is classified as a weapon OR which does not come with an integrated but with an accessory part which would serve the same purpose.

So if the ghost of Dr. Roentgen is eyeballing your incoming mail at the customs and detects such a toy, you may be sentenced to bend down to that piece of soap for up to three years.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Up for sale on ebay!

Check the youtube link up top for the direct links to my ebay post
View Quote
First, I truly do wish you the best of luck in the venture.
As soon as my ship comes in with the device (literally, hoping fair seas for MS Anastasia) then I'll be ordering a couple; one to play with to investigate some attachment method.

Thanks for sharing the vid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
There is clear resin that can be 3D printed on a cheap resin printer. It can be made opaque with light sanding or modeled infil. Would be very uniform, and 3D lensing could be modeled in. Also very dimensional accurate. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+printed+lens

This $99 printer would work. But it's new, I don't know much about it. Might be trouble. So Maybe get a more established one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M3P7RS3?tag=arfcom00-20

resin https://www.amazon.com/s?k=clear+3d+resin&crid=DH48C36J6686&sprefix=clear+3d+resin%2Caps%2C273&ref=nb_sb_noss_1  Get a non-yellowing type. Yellowing occurs in sunlight or overexposure in some resins.

and thanks for the SiOnyx lens hood plug
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Ordered two diffusers off ebay today for both my Perst 4 and Perst 4m. I am really looking forward to see how they work outside on my AK104 and KAC Mod2 Carbine. Thanks for offering these neat accessories
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is clear resin that can be 3D printed on a cheap resin printer. It can be made opaque with light sanding or modeled infil. Would be very uniform, and 3D lensing could be modeled in. Also very dimensional accurate. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+printed+lens

This $99 printer would work. But it's new, I don't know much about it. Might be trouble. So Maybe get a more established one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M3P7RS3?tag=arfcom00-20

resin https://www.amazon.com/s?k=clear+3d+resin&crid=DH48C36J6686&sprefix=clear+3d+resin%2Caps%2C273&ref=nb_sb_noss_1  Get a non-yellowing type. Yellowing occurs in sunlight or overexposure in some resins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely, thanks for the suggestions! I got some material that works fairly well, and I dont need to print it out, which is great because I am only running one printer and so far it's a workhorse

Quoted:
Ordered two diffusers off ebay today for both my Perst 4 and Perst 4m. I am really looking forward to see how they work outside on my AK104 and KAC Mod2 Carbine. Thanks for offering these neat accessories

Thank you! I'll get those shipped out ASAP, and feel free to post pics if you can!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I got mine over the weekend, but I let someone borrow my nods. Will check it out as soon as I get my -14 back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What’s the 2nd piece in the envelope? The one without holes?

Mine arrived a little smushed but appears functional. I’ll try it when I remember to grab my nods from the office.
View Quote

The material it is printed from is TPU, it is flexible, and will regain its shape if you slip it on the perst unit. The second sleeve is meant as a just in case you lose the first one or if the holes don't quite  line up because of an extreme windage or elevation setting (but you will have to cut those yourself)

Remember, shiny side of the sleeve faces inward, and all you have to do is rotate to align. The holes may seem small, but the actual beam width is tiny compared to the collimator lens, it makes sense once it is installed
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Any chance of getting some outdid photos?   Curious to see how far it's usable
View Quote

Same, even though I just ordered one!
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]
has anyone had the chance to use this outside
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
has anyone had the chance to use this outside
View Quote
I have.  I honestly saw no difference between it on or off.  I'm just a sample size of one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have.  I honestly saw no difference between it on or off.  I'm just a sample size of one.
View Quote
thanks for the reply

i guess they're cheap enough to pick one up to try out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top