Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2018 5:21:17 PM EDT
I have a couple consecutive serial numbered Colt 6933 lowers and a 6921 lower I am thinging about deregistering and selling. I understand they never leave the registry, just their status gets updated. Reason being they are large pin Colts and they do not jive well with pitting a decent trigger in a there for a HK416 upper.

What form do I need to send to the ATF to notify them of the transition back to a title 1?

Do I need to wait for a response from them before I sell them?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d just throw them in the back of the safe if it was me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a couple consecutive serial numbered Colt 6933 lowers and a 6921 lower I am thinging about deregistering and selling. I understand they never leave the registry, just their status gets updated. Reason being they are large pin Colts and they do not jive well with pitting a decent trigger in a there for a HK416 upper.

What form do I need to send to the ATF to notify them of the transition back to a title 1?

Do I need to wait for a response from them before I sell them?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
View Quote
Technically, you don't have to do anything.  If they are not in a NFA purview configuration, you can just sell them as Title I lowers.

Personally, I would send a letter to Martinsberg, but you don't have to wait for a reply.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
After waiting to get the stamps I would just keep them and get different lowers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no form, I can't find the ATF letter but IIRC they said to just send them a letter with the s/n and registration info, letting them know about the permanent change to non-NFA configuration.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to do absolutely nothing.  Remove the short upper and sell as a Title I firearm.  Really, that's it, from a legal standpoint.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
trigger
View Quote
Does not work with the firing pin safety of the 416 from what I have read and I don’t want to remove that feature from the bolt.

I am currently using the old colt accurized rifle large pin trigger 5-8 lbs. its ok but I’ve grown use to geissele.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you checked with m60joe to see if he could convert them to small pin?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you checked with m60joe to see if he could convert them to small pin?
View Quote
Yes. He said it was a no go
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is no form, I can't find the ATF letter but IIRC they said to just send them a letter with the s/n and registration info, letting them know about the permanent change to non-NFA configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This. Here's a letter template: https://blog.princelaw.com/2009/03/25/batfe-letter-requesting-removal-of-a-sbrsbs-from-the-nfrtr/
Director
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Attention: NFA Branch
244 Needy Rd
Martinsburg, WV 25405-9431
RE: Removal of a SBR/SBS from the NFRTR

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to advise the NFA Branch that a [Short Barreled Shotgun OR Short Barreled Rifle] previously registered by me on a Form 1 has been permanently returned to a Title I status firearm. I am respectfully requesting that the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) be modified to reflect this change in status. Lastly, I am sending this letter in duplicate and request that one copy be returned to me along with a letter stating that NFRTR has been modified to reflect the change in status.

Name & location of original manufacturer: _____

Type of firearm: _____

Caliber, Gauge or Size: ___

Model: ___

Length of barrel: ____ (now returned to x")

Length overall: ____ (now x")

Serial number: ____

Thanking you in advance, I am

[Typed Name]

Include:

Two Copies of this Letter
Previously Executed Form 1
You may sell the lower as a Title I firearm immediately. I would send the letter and file the eventual reply. (I wouldn't wait before selling.) The letter is helpful in case a future owner decides to SBR the lower again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the responses guys!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a template similar to the letter posted above and received a response from ATF in 3 weeks. Very simple process and they appreciated the update. Some might state this is an uneeded step but if you intend to sell them it's best to update the registry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top