Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
My Para is an outstanding shooter. It’s also one of my grail guns but it’s the only rifle in my stable that doesn’t have optics. I’ve decided to change that.

I really dig the tacticool look of the DSA full length railed handguard when used with an extended railed top cover. I’d like to add a nice red dot so I’ll probably go with a M4s.

The added weight will not be an issue. What is/are the cons with this type of set-up??
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Mounting an optic on a non-free floated handguard?  Doesn't sound like a good plan.  You don't need a full rail system for an accessory or two, either.  That's a lot of extra weight.

I'd recommend going with a VLTOR or MLOK FAL handguard instead.  You can add only the rails that you need and they weigh no more than the standard handguards when stripped down.

An optic on the DSA mount is fine, though.  Those mounts are rock solid.  One of the few things made by DSA that still is, apparently, although it could be lighter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m sorry that I wasn’t more clear. The optic will mount on the top cover, not on the handguard. Again, weight will not be an issue. At this juncture I’m concerned that I won’t be able to use the folding charge handle with this set-up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m sorry that I wasn’t more clear. The optic will mount on the top cover, not on the handguard. Again, weight will not be an issue. At this juncture I’m concerned that I won’t be able to use the folding charge handle with this set-up.
View Quote
Again, I'd recommend an MLOK handguard.  Even if weight wasn't an issue, why add it unnecessarily?  Add only the rails that you need using MLOK accessories.  Heck, I have an MLOK rail for a light and a sling swivel mounted to my fibreglass handguards through the vent holes.  The MLOK handguards give much more flexibility.  Very clean look, too, and they can be bought with a full-length top rail that IIRC also lines up with the scope mount.  Also should not interfere at all with a folding charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a review by a user with a folding charging handle:

http://www.falforum.com/wbb/index.php?thread/55-review-aim-sports-m-lok-fal-handguard/
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent. Thank You.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparemtly DSA is a distributor for these now, although I'd still buy them directly from AIM Sports unless DSA has a sale or something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I like mine. They make a FAL look much nicer. I use this FAL off a bipod so weight doesn't matter to me either.

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice FAL..!  Those are the exact [DSA] railed components I want on mine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
These photos were taken today of my Congo with an important piece  of the puzzle..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top