Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2018 9:37:42 PM EDT
So, I'm looking at getting an AR-styled rifle in 308 (with a dozen ARs, you would think I would have already considered one!). I would like to keep it under $1500, barrel length at 16" is fine, but I would like the weight under 9 pounds. No fixed sights needed (BUIS planned), but I would like a rail (sure, I could add one on, but there are several sold with rails) mostly for aesthetics as I would add a low-powered variable scope.

Just looking for feedback or other suggestions. Right now, I'm considering:

Windham Weapons SRC 308 (8 pounds)
CMMG MK3 (8.1 pounds)
DPMS GII Recon (8.5 pounds)

While slightly more expensive, the Ruger SR762 is another consideration and still relatively light for being a piston action (8.6 pounds)

Purpose is just a shooter, but eventually, I would like to take a few carbine classes with the .308, so I just want more punch in a maneuverable package. I really don't see this as a shooter beyond 300-400 meters for my requirements. A good scope will add weight which is why I want to keep the weight of the base-rifle lower. Also, I prefer the SR25 compatibility for Magpul mags.

Building isn't an option for me right now. I work overseas and my time home is limited. It's a future option, but not for my first 308 AR-styled rifle...

Shoot away for feedback, especially if you've gone done this road or have experience with any of the above or similar recommendations.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite defender 10?
Psa gen 2 PA10?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a CMMG that was short stroking right out of the box. I had to replace the gas tube then it ran right. With a Vortex 6-24x50 it was heavy. A friend had the Ruger with irons and it was awesome at 100 yards. 300-400 yards? You don’t need a 308 for that. I sold the CMMG and ring steel at 600 yards with a 1-6 ACSS on my AR.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA doesn't have a 16" option but my 18" is a shooter. At 1/2 your budget, you could knock 2" off the barrel and rethread and have plenty of cash for mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Assemble your own.

JSE still has some Mega Maten stuff

http://www.jsesurplus.com/megamatenm-lokextrifleupperlowerset.aspx

Barrel and BCG budget can be $600 bucks or much less, regular AR15 LPK, and a couple hundred more for other parts.

Upgrade stuff as you normally would with a factory rifle, and its still in your budget.

ETA: Missed that building wasn't an option. Maybe some arfcom guys local to you can help.I have loaner tools like vice blocks and stuff if anyone wants to get something together
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Great suggestions, not sure how I left out PSA (they're also just up the road about an hour from the house).  Most are out of stock, but I could just buy the complete lower and pick it up from my FFL dealer when I get home and have all the other components shipped to the house (likely a complete upper w/ bolt assembly, stock of choice, BUIS, and scope).  That would be a quick way to "build" without doing anything time-intensive.  It's hard to get home after 6-8 months and focus your attention on a rifle build...my wife has been supportive of the job and hobbies, but that would be ill-advised on my end

The 18" barrel is okay, I just know many of the carbine variants come with 16" barrels.  I also like that the lightweight model comes in at about 8.2 pounds.  Of course the Ruger SR762 is still intriguing (I like the gas piston setup), but the PSA is a far better deal.  The PSA is tempting...priced out complete lower, complete upper, choice of stock/grip and BUIS (roughly $900), leaves me about $600-800 for a decent scope (already have a LaRue mount sitting somewhere at home in the gun parts box).  Tough decision...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Windham Weaponry SRC-308 and I'd recommend them which is something I rarely do. I've ran it hard without fail and a friend has used it in 3 gun and other competitions running it hard with fail. I bought mine under 1,000. and if you look around you can still find them just under a grand. Lifetime Warranty and parts are available unlike Armalite who makes only so many and they sell out and stay out of stock for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Armalite and S&W MP10, the Armalite was a way better deal but I do like the ambidextrous features of the Smith.  Both rifles have been 100%.  I'd take them to a carbine course for shits and giggles but I'd rather grab a 5.56 gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a savage msr 10 hunter in 308. It has a few things that aren't great about it but they are easily fixed. The bones are good though. weighs about 7.8 pounds or so. My only concern is support if anything happens because I think a lot of the parts are proprietary.

I have a bunch of rounds through it and its a great shooter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a savage msr 10 hunter in 308. It has a few things that aren't great about it but they are easily fixed. The bones are good though. weighs about 7.8 pounds or so. My only concern is support if anything happens because I think a lot of the parts are proprietary.

I have a bunch of rounds through it and its a great shooter.
View Quote
All my AR's are Frankengun builds, but if I were looking for a factory .308 below the LMT/KAC price point the Savage looks like the best option to me. Good barrel, good adjustable gas setup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All my AR's are Frankengun builds, but if I were looking for a factory .308 below the LMT/KAC price point the Savage looks like the best option to me. Good barrel, good adjustable gas setup.
View Quote
I hadn't considered the Savage MSR10.  I haven't see any negative reviews and I'm seeing 7.8 pounds for the 16" barrel .308 model (with full-length rail).  Some real nice standard features as well...thanks for that recommendation!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the Robinson Armament XCR-M
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
LMT 7.62 MWS or LM8.

The Brits adopted the MWS model as a their squad DMR weapon. The LM8 gives you the option of where to hang railage  -  so technically, it's not as 'weighty' to hump around as the MWS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LMT 7.62 MWS or LM8.

The Brits adopted the MWS model as a their squad DMR weapon. The LM8 gives you the option of where to hang railage  -  so technically, it's not as 'weighty' to hump around as the MWS.
View Quote
I'm just not in the market for a $3K+ rifle.  I am starting to really consider Ruger's SR762, mostly because I would like to eventually suppress it.  Even the SR762 is pushing my budget limit, but it's still a good deal for a pistol-AR10 rifle.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Diamondback
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top