Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/31/2021 12:33:30 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a plate carrier. I have a Condor chest rig that I am thinking of selling and moving up to a plate carrier. I am on a budget and that is why I am looking at Condor. I am open to other suggestions within my budget of $50 - $100. Once I get a plate carrier and see how I like them I may move up to something more expensive but right now its just not in my budget.

This is something I want to toss in my car and go. I can grab it if need be and quickly put it on. Its what I do with my chest rig and I take it out of my car nightly.

Is anyone running a Condor plate carrier? If so, what one and how do you like it?

I will list the ones that I am looking at below. I am not sure what size plates I need for them. Does anyone know?

Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier (MOPC Gen II).

Condor Gunner Plate Carrier.

Condor Enforcer.

Condor Defender.

Condor Sentry.

The Sentry model is one that I am looking at the most. I like that it seems simple but the one thing that stops me from ordering it is, no side panels for side plates. Should I be worried about that?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Most civilians don't run side plates. Up your budget and get this:

https://lbxtactical.com/collections/pc/products/300

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Condor Interceptor Enforcer and like it pretty well.

But Im not HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG!

So other opinions may vary.

Enforcer

ETA:  Updated name and added link
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would really just skip the condor, yeah It will probably be "okay" and fit what's its supposed to and be relatively comfortable at least the ones that are copies of decently designed carriers but for not much more there some good options around the 100 dollar mark.

The Grey Ghost Gear minimalist is often available for around 100 bucks and from everything I've heard is a good budget option (Made in Vietnam).

I know some members have tried this out recently for WTFi and seem quite pleased as well plate carrier 06

Plates are not based on the carrier, you want to first get appropriately sized plates for your body be they commercial 10x12, 11x14 etc or something in the various sapi cut styles then you pick a carrier that has an appropriate fit to that plate.

Be aware some plate carriers are cut near exact dimensions of the plates they are designed around such as CRYE jpcs being cut around spai sized plates and can be very tight getting 10x12s into a medium jpc.

If you have decided that side plates are a must for you then make sure the carrier you buy can accept them, usually its mentioned in the description.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Even cheaper when you create an account, automatically 15% off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/236598/B3D5D666-A137-4AC3-9484-0CC03BE9F66A_jpe-1887430.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Huh Good to know, yeah Op just get this, its in the best camo anyway
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Grey Ghost minimalist or the LAPG atlas.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Grey Ghost minimalist or the LAPG atlas.
View Quote

I have the LAPG Atlas and love it so far. $79.99 or $99.99 (multicam) on LAPG

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone. I will check out everything that has been mentioned and do some more research. I see that some of the plate carriers ask about size, Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. How is that determined?

I will also look at plates before I buy. Should I step up to level IV? I believe that is rated for most rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm 6'4" with a 41" chest (or thereabouts) and I primarily wear a large, though I can and sometimes do get away with a medium. If you're of average height/weight, get medium. As to Condor, don't. I've seen multiple versions fail in deployed environments when worn with plates and a full combat load, but undertaking nothing that could be considered "hard use." Spend the extra few bucks on an LBX. Also, since you're clearly on a budget, Level IV plates are fine. As a civilian LvIII is most likely all you "need," but those plates are usually more expensive since they're lighter. Whatever you do, don't buy steel plates.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Condor carriers will hold up to moderate use.

So since the overwhelming majority of civilians who own plate carriers would be realistically wearing them for static position defense (ie posting up at the top of your staircase all night while hordes of Peaceful DemonstratorsTM rampage through your neighborhood), it will hold up to what you'll realistically ever be doing with it.

If you think you ever might be doing anything more dynamic than sitting at the top of your staircase all night waiting for Peaceful Demonstrators to go home after peacefully burning and looting, then it might be worth trying to push your budget a bit and get something that's not made in China.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. I will check out everything that has been mentioned and do some more research. I see that some of the plate carriers ask about size, Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. How is that determined?

I will also look at plates before I buy. Should I step up to level IV? I believe that is rated for most rifle calibers.
View Quote

Most PCs are sized for plates (not how big you are). Medium plates = medium PC...
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Level IV means it will stop M2AP black tip, which is a hardened steel core .30-06 round.

You almost certainly don't really need that level of protection. But Level IV stuff is sometimes cheaper than Level III+ for some reason.

If you're on a tight enough budget that you're considering Condor, you might consider these:
https://botach.com/battle-steel-level-iv-hard-armor/

They're Level IV, multicurved, 5.5 pounds, $99. Tested by our resident member @Buffman_LT1 on his YouTube channel.

As has been stated, whatever you do, don't buy steel plates.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't buy steel, way to heavy to be practical and the added weight can cause added stress to your joints, increased muscle fatigue, and could result in injury when your physical output is high.  Remember, weight isn't just an issue with comfort, added weight can cause physical problems just ask any of the GWOT vets with serious joint and muscle issues.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't buy steel, way to heavy to be practical and the added weight can cause added stress to your joints, increased muscle fatigue, and could result in injury when your physical output is high.  Remember, weight isn't just an issue with comfort, added weight can cause physical problems just ask any of the GWOT vets with serious joint and muscle issues.  

View Quote

That is a concern to me. I do have a spinal cord neck injury. My disk are pressing against the cord.

What plates would you recommend and do they have a shelf life?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is a concern to me. I do have a spinal cord neck injury. My disk are pressing against the cord.

What plates would you recommend and do they have a shelf life?
View Quote

I have a set of steel plates I'll let go of cheap....They are sitting in the closet because I had to learn the hard way...I now have RMA 1092's good plates for the money. The reside in a PIG Brigadine. SKD has those for around a 100 bucks
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like my Condor Sentry

But I would like to try a Grey Ghost
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]
One more set of questions -

Why should I go minimalist plate carrier?

Should I go with a more traditional plate carrier so that I can put more gear on it? Like a med pouch and other pouches? Or am I just over thinking things.

Instead of steal plates what plates should I be looking at?

I want to run six mags. That is my standard load out on my chest rig. I see guys running 3-4 mags. I could see myself doing 4 mags at the minim.  

Should I buy a mag panel or single mag pouches? And why?

I'm sure there will be more questions as I keep searching and learning.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Should I go with a more traditional plate carrier so that I can put more gear on it? Like a med pouch and other pouches? Or am I just over thinking things.

I want to run six mags. That is my standard load out on my chest rig. I see guys running 3-4 mags. I could see myself doing 4 mags at the minim.  

View Quote

Firstly, have you actually thought through what your intended purpose is for this plate carrier?

"Putting it in my trunk" isn't a mission parameter.

Once you have a clearly defined idea of what this gear is for, that should help you define how much ammo you need and what kind of plates you need.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Firstly, have you actually thought through what your intended purpose is for this plate carrier?

Once you have a clearly defined idea of what this gear is for, that should help you define how much ammo you need and what kind of plates you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a question that I’m now really asking myself. I think my way of thinking was an old way of thinking. Something that might have big flaws. Pack heavy and be ready. Six to eight mags. Small med kit. Knife and a pouch for some energy bars. I guess my mind has been conditioned for long term survival. I think plate carrier should have just enough to keep me safe and in the fight or out of the fight so that I can get home and get to my main level of gear.

I also want to take some training classes and whatever I get I will use in classes and beyond.

The more I think about my neck snd back injuries my mind is telling me I need to lighten the load. Maybe four mags are enough. My conceal carry gun and two spare mags that I carry daily to go with my rifle setup.

I’m open to thoughts and direction. As I get older my mindset is changing. I want to condition it differently now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
My normal "civilian" loadout is three rifle mags on the carrier, one plus two pistol mags on the belt, one in each gun. That is expandable up to six on the carrier since I use Crye smart pouches which are equally at home with one or two mags, but that's really only if I'm using my AVS for work. I figure that if I need 240 rounds of rifle ammo and I'm not wearing my uniform, I'm doing shit wrong. Hell, I carried four mags for most of my recent "deployment." As a civilian, that ammo is to allow you to break contact and unass the AO ASAFP, unless you're defending your home in which case you'll have options to stage ammo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#21]
6-8 mags (plus one in the gun) on a civilian PC? In what circumstances do you see the potential need for 210-270 rounds? Seems a bit excessive.

Going down to 3 mags on the PC (plus one in the gun) allows you exchange 3-5 magazines for 50-83.4 fl-oz. of water.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll second the GGG Minimalist.

I'm not hi-speed/lo-drag and I don't pretend to be. I just want a plate front and back...and minimal enough to be able throw a windbreaker over it to not be noticed.

The GGG Minimalist is put together well enough that I don't really care that it's made in Viet Nam. GGG puts them on sale frequently but they sell out quickly when they do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is a question that I’m now really asking myself. I think my way of thinking was an old way of thinking. Something that might have big flaws. Pack heavy and be ready. Six to eight mags. Small med kit. Knife and a pouch for some energy bars. I guess my mind has been conditioned for long term survival. I think plate carrier should have just enough to keep me safe and in the fight or out of the fight so that I can get home and get to my main level of gear.

I also want to take some training classes and whatever I get I will use in classes and beyond.

The more I think about my neck snd back injuries my mind is telling me I need to lighten the load. Maybe four mags are enough. My conceal carry gun and two spare mags that I carry daily to go with my rifle setup.

I’m open to thoughts and direction. As I get older my mindset is changing. I want to condition it differently now.
View Quote

That's great that you're adopting a minimalist mentality, but that still doesn't define what you're actually doing with the gear.

For example, a lot of people own plate carriers for the purpose of wearing it while they post up at the top of the staircase if their neighborhood ever became ground zero for some Mostly Peaceful Demonstrations. As soon as they see on the news or social media that the Mostly Peaceful hordes are burning and looting nearby, they get their family and any valuables upstairs (also any flammables upstairs so the Mostly Peacefuls can't burn the house down with it), lock and barricade the doors and windows, set some noisemakers to warn of entry, and prepare to post up at the top of the staircase all night. That's a mission description.

What, precisely, do you anticipate doing with this gear that you stage it in your trunk?

You don't have to post your answer to this on the forum if you don't want to, but just think through what your intended use scenario actually is, what should you be trying to do in that scenario, and what do you need to do that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's great that you're adopting a minimalist mentality, but that still doesn't define what you're actually doing with the gear.

For example, a lot of people own plate carriers for the purpose of wearing it while they post up at the top of the staircase if their neighborhood ever became ground zero for some Mostly Peaceful Demonstrations. As soon as they see on the news or social media that the Mostly Peaceful hordes are burning and looting nearby, they get their family and any valuables upstairs (also any flammables upstairs so the Mostly Peacefuls can't burn the house down with it), lock and barricade the doors and windows, set some noisemakers to warn of entry, and prepare to post up at the top of the staircase all night. That's a mission description.

What, precisely, do you anticipate doing with this gear that you stage it in your trunk?

You don't have to post your answer to this on the forum if you don't want to, but just think through what your intended use scenario actually is, what should you be trying to do in that scenario, and what do you need to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The scenario that you posted above is one scenario that comes to mind. It has actually happened to me in the past. My family and I were attacked by MS-13. I was a new gun owner at the time and thankful I had taken the advice of the police department to get a gun. Unfortunately it was a cheap gun (Hi Point). It saved our lives that night but I quickly saw the light and the error of my ways and got busy at getting something better.

The reason I keep things in my car and ready to go is civil unrest. What if I am out and a mob is out protesting and they began attacking cars? I want to be prepared to protect myself and those that I love. I also want to be able to survive a fight and escape that fight. I will be driving so I think a minimalist plate carrier is what I should get. I'm not thinking of bugging out or getting into a heavy fire fight (it could happen). My only experience with plate carries is what I see on TV, movies and on YouTube.

I'm not military. Should I be looking at a plate carrier that can hold a lot of gear or go minimalist? If I would have to leave my area for some reason would a minimalist plate carrier still be enough? My idea of bugging out is heading to my family in West Virginia. They are 90 miles from me. I have seen the stuff that has happened in Baltimore and other big cities. I'm not far from Charlottesville and it was a big concern the day of the rally over there. The aftermath and chatter online to spill over into our area. I guess my mindset is on unrest with protesting and rioting and being caught in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone use the Rothco LWPC?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Top of stairs? I'll be up on the roof top of my single story ranch...wearing a minimalist.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The scenario that you posted above is one scenario that comes to mind. It has actually happened to me in the past. My family and I were attacked by MS-13. I was a new gun owner at the time and thankful I had taken the advice of the police department to get a gun. Unfortunately it was a cheap gun (Hi Point). It saved our lives that night but I quickly saw the light and the error of my ways and got busy at getting something better.

The reason I keep things in my car and ready to go is civil unrest. What if I am out and a mob is out protesting and they began attacking cars? I want to be prepared to protect myself and those that I love. I also want to be able to survive a fight and escape that fight. I will be driving so I think a minimalist plate carrier is what I should get. I'm not thinking of bugging out or getting into a heavy fire fight (it could happen). My only experience with plate carries is what I see on TV, movies and on YouTube.

I'm not military. Should I be looking at a plate carrier that can hold a lot of gear or go minimalist? If I would have to leave my area for some reason would a minimalist plate carrier still be enough? My idea of bugging out is heading to my family in West Virginia. They are 90 miles from me. I have seen the stuff that has happened in Baltimore and other big cities. I'm not far from Charlottesville and it was a big concern the day of the rally over there. The aftermath and chatter online to spill over into our area. I guess my mindset is on unrest with protesting and rioting and being caught in the middle of it.
View Quote

Great, this definitely helps define your mission set.

With regards to having a PC in your car in the event of civil unrest, I'd say just don't. The best way to get away from mobs is to avoid attention and move fast.

The thing with angry mobs is that they don't always tend to scatter at the first sign of danger. Often they close in on it because they see an opportunity for glory. You're not going to win a fight against an angry mob by yourself, no matter what gear you have with you. Putting on a plate carrier and grabbing a rifle is just going to highlight you as a target for people who want to make a show of how brave they are for defeating the militia-looking guy.

So the only way to win an encounter with an angry mob while out and about is to avoid attention flee the area as quickly as possible.

As far as the idea of bugging out to avoid Mostly Peaceful, that really relies on your ability to get out before the Mostly Peaceful starts. And while traveling, once again you really want to avoid unwanted attention. Wearing a plate carrier is more likely to attract trouble to you than to scare trouble away. If you think you might not be able to get out before getting caught in the middle of Mostly Peaceful, then you should stay in.

As far as staying in goes, the fact that you're staying in a static position means you don't really need to have a lot of stuff on your body. So you can just have maybe 2 or 3 mags on you and have another ten sitting right next to you if you want.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The thing about having lots of ammo on you is that that's something the military does based on the expectation that they might be engaging a lot of enemies in between opportunities to resupply. And the feasibility of engaging lots of enemies only works if they're operating as part of a team.

If the problem can't be solved with 2 extra mags, then 6 extra mags probably isn't going to solve it either and you probably need to break contact.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#29]
@Brian01 man, you're making way too much sense to be the average ARFcom poster.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
When a plate carrier says oversized, does that mean there are two different size plates that I can run in it?

What sizes are plates?

I am looking at the Rothco LWPC and there are two different models. One of them is "Oversized".
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I spent some money on a nice PC but my backup set is Condor Sentry.  It holds plates.  Don't get caught up with the larp-fest that is ARF and spend bunch of money you don't have. Some lightweight level 3 or 4 plates and a functional PC puts you ahead of 99% of the population.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I spent some money on a nice PC but my backup set is Condor Sentry.  It holds plates.  Don't get caught up with the larp-fest that is ARF and spend bunch of money you don't have. Some lightweight level 3 or 4 plates and a functional PC puts you ahead of 99% of the population.

https://img2.quadmed.com/prodimage/ProductImage/560/a9d0c5a2-4e44-4742-a0bc-158f1d9cb4dd.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. That is where my mind set is right now. Getting what I can afford and getting the plates. I know plates are not cheap and maybe at some point I can upgrade my PC. My old gear I will use as back ups and loan out to family if need be.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/236598/B3D5D666-A137-4AC3-9484-0CC03BE9F66A_jpe-1887430.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you're on a tight enough budget that you're considering Condor, you might consider these:
https://botach.com/battle-steel-level-iv-hard-armor/

They're Level IV, multicurved, 5.5 pounds, $99. Tested by our resident member @Buffman_LT1 on his YouTube channel.
View Quote

How are these so cheap? Because they are polyurethane and ceramic? I might get a set for a back up carrier for my lady.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How are these so cheap? Because they are polyurethane and ceramic? I might get a set for a back up carrier for my lady.
View Quote

Because they're made in China where you can pay skilled manufacturing workers $5 an hour.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much do they weigh?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How much do they weigh?
View Quote

5.5 pounds.

FYI if you do wind up buying a Condor carrier, I'd personally recommend not getting the MOPC. I own a MOPC with those Botach plates in them, and while it works, it's just needlessly bulky for what it is. If I could go back in time I'd probably try to get something else.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How much do they weigh?
View Quote

5.5 lbs each. I ordered a set. Thanks @Brian01
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

5.5 pounds.

FYI if you do wind up buying a Condor carrier, I'd personally recommend not getting the MOPC. I own a MOPC with those Botach plates in them, and while it works, it's just needlessly bulky for what it is. If I could go back in time I'd probably try to get something else.
View Quote

Damn! I ordered them for a MOPC I have in my closet! Oh well. I can always get another carrier.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn! I ordered them for a MOPC I have in my closet! Oh well. I can always get another carrier.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, the MOPC's plate pockets are enormous. So it's probably going to feel needlessly bulky no matter what plates you put in it. Thankfully it at least has the internal strap to help hold it in place.

It's just that the MOPC is made to be compatible with basically every possible armor product and pouch you could possibly buy. So it ends up having lots of material where I really don't need it since I'm not wearing 11x14 square plates in both the front and back (hell, I bet you could fit 12" wide plates if such a thing existed) along with BALCS cut soft armor and side plates.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Btw, if you're concerned about weighing yourself down too much, there's an interesting category of armor where they make thin polyethylene plates that are only rated for pistol rounds.

About a quarter inch thick, 1 pound each per plate, and rated to stop all the pistol rounds, buckshot, stabbing thrusts, explosive shrapnel, etc. Pretty much everything other than rifle rounds.

Hesco makes a model called the P210 that's about $150 each per plate. Botach also makes a cheaper made-in-China version of these kinds of plates too.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of gun violence in the US is with handguns (aside from suicides, which happen to make up almost 2/3rds of America's annual gun deaths), those might be a good option if you don't like the idea of carrying around 10+ pounds of armor on your torso.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Btw, if you're concerned about weighing yourself down too much, there's an interesting category of armor where they make thin polyethylene plates that are only rated for pistol rounds.

About a quarter inch thick, 1 pound each per plate, and rated to stop all the pistol rounds, buckshot, stabbing thrusts, explosive shrapnel, etc. Pretty much everything other than rifle rounds.

Hesco makes a model called the P210 that's about $150 each per plate. Botach also makes a cheaper made-in-China version of these kinds of plates too.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of gun violence in the US is with handguns (aside from suicides, which happen to make up almost 2/3rds of America's annual gun deaths), those might be a good option if you don't like the idea of carrying around 10+ pounds of armor on your torso.
View Quote

Thanks! I will look for those plates too.

I think I am going to either order the Grey Ghost Gear MPC or the Rothco LWPC. I like both designs and I think they fit what I am aiming to do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think I am going to either order the Grey Ghost Gear MPC or the Rothco LWPC. I like both designs and I think they fit what I am aiming to do.
View Quote

The Rothco is a chinese knockoff of the Crye JPC. Just keep that in mind that that would be supporting chinese intellectual property theft of US designed and made products. At least Condor designed their own carriers and doesn't make blatant exact knockoffs of American products.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Rothco is a chinese knockoff of the Crye JPC. Just keep that in mind that that would be supporting chinese intellectual property theft of US designed and made products. At least Condor designed their own carriers and doesn't make blatant exact knockoffs of American products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will keep that in mind. I didn’t know they stole the design. I am new to plate carriers. It’s a big world with choices, names and models.

I just watched a video that gives me even bigger pause ordering the Rothco LWPC. The strap broke. Tore under weight.

I think right now Grey Ghost Gear MPC is my best choice. It fits my budget and leaves me some money to get plates too. Next I’ll be asking questions about plates. I’ve got some mentioned in a few post above but I really want to educate myself on them before I buy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I will keep that in mind. I didn’t know they stole the design. I am new to plate carriers. It’s a big world with choices, names and models.

I just watched a video that gives me even bigger pause ordering the Rothco LWPC. The strap broke. Tore under weight.

I think right now Grey Ghost Gear MPC is my best choice. It fits my budget and leaves me some money to get plates too. Next I’ll be asking questions about plates. I’ve got some mentioned in a few post above but I really want to educate myself on them before I buy.
View Quote

Rothco is another version of Condor. Some of their apparel lines are actually decent, but their gear is almost worthless. Buy American, or at least from allied countries, like Warrior Assault Systems (UK) or Agilite (Israel). You're much more likely to get something that you won't have to replace because it broke.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rothco is another version of Condor. Some of their apparel lines are actually decent, but their gear is almost worthless. Buy American, or at least from allied countries, like Warrior Assault Systems (UK) or Agilite (Israel). You're much more likely to get something that you won't have to replace because it broke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will look at those. I believe right now they are out of my price range. I think Grey Ghost Gear is my best bet for now.

What about these -

Shellback Tatical

Blackhawk

AR500

I know the ones mentioned above for the most part are not minimalist and are full carriers. They do have a couple models that are minimalist. Thoughts on those brands?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I will look at those. I believe right now they are out of my price range. I think Grey Ghost Gear is my best bet for now.

What about these -

Shellback Tatical

Blackhawk

AR500

I know the ones mentioned above for the most part are not minimalist and are full carriers. They do have a couple models that are minimalist. Thoughts on those brands?
View Quote

I don't like buying anything from AR500 because I personally think they have unethical marketing practices, primarily using YouTube ads to advertise their shitty steel plates to people who they know don't understand how armor plates are supposed to work.

I personally actually like carriers with a real cumberbund, because I find that the cumberbund is a nice place to put an IFAK.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't like buying anything from AR500 because I personally think they have unethical marketing practices, primarily using YouTube ads to advertise their shitty steel plates to people who they know don't understand how armor plates are supposed to work.

I personally actually like carriers with a real cumberbund, because I find that the cumberbund is a nice place to put an IFAK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about these -

Shellback Tatical

Blackhawk

AR500

I know little about these companies. I just see YouTube videos about them and how people like their stuff.

Speaking of IFAK's. With these minimalist rigs, where does one put an IFAK? On the back panel? I carry a RAT's TQ with me all times in my pocket, car, backpack and on family members too. I know its a love it or hate TQ but its one that my whole family will keep on them since its so compact. I will have some RECON Medical TQ's for my gear soon. I see that the Grey Ghost PC has a pocket on the upper chest. I can run it through there as an option. Right now I have the TQ sitting in a compass/med pouch on my chest rig. I do have a medical pouch that I have yet to put into action. I will be taking a Stop the Bleed class hopefully this summer when things somewhat return to normal. Until then I will not get a full med kit until I know what I am doing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I know little about these companies. I just see YouTube videos about them and how people like their stuff.

Speaking of IFAK's. With these minimalist rigs, where does one put an IFAK? On the back panel? I carry a RAT's TQ with me all times in my pocket, car, backpack and on family members too. I know its a love it or hate TQ but its one that my whole family will keep on them since its so compact. I will have some RECON Medical TQ's for my gear soon. I see that the Grey Ghost PC has a pocket on the upper chest. I can run it through there as an option. Right now I have the TQ sitting in a compass/med pouch on my chest rig. I do have a medical pouch that I have yet to put into action. I will be taking a Stop the Bleed class hopefully this summer when things somewhat return to normal. Until then I will not get a full med kit until I know what I am doing.
View Quote

Don't buy products from Recon Medical. Much like Rothco, they make Chinese knockoffs of American products. But the Recon products aren't meaningfully cheaper than their US-made counterparts from North American Rescue.

This is a pretty good value for a well-rounded IFAK:
https://www.rescue-essentials.com/i-c-e-ifak/
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Condor is very popular in the air-soft and CrossFit crowd. In both of those they go through a lot more abuse than the average ARFCOMer is going to.  I have been using mine for years, holding steel plates, shooting matches, airsofting and PTing. The only issue I ever had was a broken buckle. (I think it caught a bb while under pressure.

I recommend anyone to buy the best they can afford, but Condor is a good option if you can't spend hundreds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top