Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 12:25:29 AM EDT
Is there a concrete anchor that acts like a dry wall anchor?

I have a safe that I put into a closet.  In order to get it in, I had to take off the door and rotate the safe into the closet.  I plan on moving out of this house in the next 3 years and I don't want to leave the safe where it is permanently for several reasons.  My concern is, if I have a bolt that is permanently sticking out from the ground in 4 places, I will not be able to get the safe out because I won't be able to rotate the safe out. The only direction I would be able to move the safe is up and I would have to try and use a reciprocating saw underneath the safe to cut the bolts.  Is there an anchor system that would lay flush to the ground so that I can bolt the safe into the anchors and eventually remove the bolts so I can rotate this safe out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there are anchors that are set into the hole and then expanded by the action of screwing a bolt into them.  You can remove the bolt and all that is left is the anchor in the hole.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally Id go with a Hilti, Simpson Titen or Tapcon screw-in concrete anchor.

Place the safe, drill the concrete underneath through the holes in the safe with a rotohammer, screw in  the anchors with an impact wrench and large heavy washers to spread the load out. Done.
When its time to move, just unbolt, move safe, grout in the holes if you want. or not  

https://www.strongtie.com/mechanicalanchors_mechanicalanchoringproducts/thdss_anchor/p/stainless-steel-titen-hd
https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_FASTENER_7135/CLS_SCREW_ANCHORS_7135/r6271
https://www.tapcon.com/products/heavy-duty-tapcon-plus
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, there are anchors that are set into the hole and then expanded by the action of screwing a bolt into them.  You can remove the bolt and all that is left is the anchor in the hole.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. They are generally known as a female wedge anchor or drop in anchor. Hammer drill a hole the size of the anchor, (usually 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4") tap the anchor into the hole until flush with the surface, then tighten down the correct size bolt for the anchor. You must tighten down the correct length bolt to get the circular wedge to tighten against the "fingers" and do its job. The literature for them will tell you that.

Here is one example:

Drop in concrete anchor
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You can use regular wedge anchors too

Drill the holes deeper than the bolt is long. When you want to move the safe again pound the wedge anchors deeper into the holes so they are flush

Guessing it's a 4" slab so you'll probably drill all the way through the slab and into gravel anyway
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top