Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2019 12:35:31 PM EDT
My situation is that I'm moving from NC to NY, which prohibits SBR's. The SBR is in a trust, and I am adding a friend in VA as trustee and having him hold the SBR.
I have a few questions on how to correctly complete form 5320.20 for a permanent move.

1. For address of registered owner, use current NC address?

2. Dates in transit, if to be permanently relocated: Can I provide a range of dates since I don't know yet what the exact date will be (and by the time I know, it wouldn't leave enough time for the ATF to complete the authorization)? So can I use a from/to date span that covers 2 or 3 weeks?

3. Firearms manufacturer - use manufacturer of the lower receiver, or the Trust?

4. Firearm serviceable field - what does this mean?

5. Reason for transport. Should I just say that I'm moving to a state that prohibits NFA items and I'm leaving the SBR with a trustee in VA?

6. Mode of transportation: I'll be transporting it, but not sure yet whether I'll be using my vehicle or a rented truck (that I will drive). Should I just say that I, the trustor, will be personally transporting the SBR by motor vehicle?

Thanks for any guidance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you read through my how-to on this form? It’s in the Work In Progress sticky and answers several of those. ETA: link

1. Use current address. Even smoother if that happens to be the address of record (from the Form 1)
2. Give yourself plenty of time. They’ll take dates up to a year. So if you have a decent idea of when, request a month (or two) before and after then.
3. They’ll actually take either. I usually use the info from the F1, so the mfr on the lower
4. It is a working firearm...so Yes
5. Keep it simply “permanent change of address” (which is actually the example used on the form itself)...they don’t need to know why you’re moving
6. Just put “personal vehicle” as long as you’re not paying somebody to transport it.
View Quote
No, I hadn't seen that, but I have now. Thanks, as always!
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am planning on moving across state lines this year.  Are they even being processed during the shutdown?  If not, is it possible to go back to original config(16" barrel) and move with that, while sending the short upper via UPS or similar so as not to be in possession of it while crossing state lines?  If yes, can you just throw the short upper back on once you get to your new state?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Related question: are they processing 5320.20s right now?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
If they are, they are taking their sweet time with them. Waiting on one from early/mid December.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they are, they are taking their sweet time with them. Waiting on one from early/mid December.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Par for their inept course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top