Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2020 1:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556]
Is there any general rule of thumb?
In the event I can’t find some standard large rifle here soon I’ll need to turn to my stash of magnum primers..
Primarily with 4570. jacketed H4198 and hard cast with both trailboss and H4198. Starline Brass  

I’m not one that likes to deviate from standard load date but would like to hear opinions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I planed to start at minimum starting load and do exactly that.   Better to ask then to find out the hard way
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I did some testing a few weeks ago for a coworker who bought lots of SPM primers since that's all they had locally.

My loader was set up for 9x19 with 124 and Titegroup with a standard SP primer.

When I was done with my loads I immediately loaded 10 rounds with SPM and 10 with SR primers and chronoed them alongside my SP loads.

No difference at all.

YMMV of course but we've been loading high powered 9mm (way past SAAMI) with the SR primers for about 20 years to stop breechface erosion.

Most primer manufacturers will tell you that their SPM and SR primers are identical in cup thickness, alloy, and compound brisance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mc556:
I planed to start at minimum starting load and do exactly that.   Better to ask then to find out the hard way
View Quote

I found they work fine just work your way up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:
I did some testing a few weeks ago for a coworker who bought lots of SPM primers since that's all they had locally.

My loader was set up for 9x19 with 124 and Titegroup with a standard SP primer.

When I was done with my loads I immediately loaded 10 rounds with SPM and 10 with SR primers and chronoed them alongside my SP loads.

No difference at all.

YMMV of course but we've been loading high powered 9mm (way past SAAMI) with the SR primers for about 20 years to stop breechface erosion.

Most primer manufacturers will tell you that their SPM and SR primers are identical in cup thickness, alloy, and compound brisance.
View Quote

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I suspect you may see a difference in group sizing but I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The old rule of thumb is drop a grain and work from there. The only open info I have seen on primer difference is cup thickness.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
The old rule of thumb is drop a grain and work from there. The only open info I have seen on primer difference is cup thickness.
View Quote

Maybe not a full grain in pistol loads, I would not go below the min charge even if using the magnum primers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I once saw a little speed increase when using Blue-Dot, which is a slow powder that usually don't fully burn in 9mm.  it was only a few fps, not much.   For a faster more typical powder, I doubt it matters much.  

You can drop to minimum load and work your way up; but if you wanted to hedge that and split the difference, I doubt you'll have any problems.

If these are using typical powder and aren't full-pressure loads, in the end, I bet you don't find any meaningful differences.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#9]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
View Quote

This. With big and small rifle, I generally find i need .7 to .8 grains less powder with magnum primers to achieve the same velocity.  I dont load much for pistol so wont comment on that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Started reloading for .303 British tonight. As to not dip into my currently irreplaceable LR primer stash, I picked up a couple sleeves of Federal 215 LR magnum primers since if they work, I can buy several thousand without issue.

Started my load work ups about 1.5 gr lower than I would if I had been using standard primers. Started near the bottom of the load data and ended up 1.3 gr shy of max load. Hopefully gonna try em out this weekend. Shooting for 2450 ish FPS to match the MK7 ammo used by the Brits.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mechtaco04:
Started reloading for .303 British tonight. As to not dip into my currently irreplaceable LR primer stash, I picked up a couple sleeves of Federal 215 LR magnum primers since if they work, I can buy several thousand without issue.

Started my load work ups about 1.5 gr lower than I would if I had been using standard primers. Started near the bottom of the load data and ended up 1.3 gr shy of max load. Hopefully gonna try em out this weekend. Shooting for 2450 ish FPS to match the MK7 ammo used by the Brits.
View Quote

Why not load to max?

I would rather pull down a few rounds than to find out I didn't go high enough while at the range and have to go back again with a handful of rounds.

Yes, I've had to do that and why I bring it up...  

I now always have cases charged above max in a ladder so I'm covered, well knowing I'll likely have to pull them down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top