Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/5/2023 11:21:59 AM EDT
Hey, what do you all recommend for a compact, lightweight, travel knife sharpener?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like this one for keeping in my "stuff" backpack:  https://accusharp.com/product/029/
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my “portable” sharpener.

Worksharp Precision Adjust

If I were doing it again I’d spring for the upgraded one that comes with a carry case and a few more stones.

I also have the Worksharp Ken Onion edition with the blade grinding attachment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The bottom of many coffee cups has exposed ceramic that works great as a sharpener...so does the top of a car window's edge.

ETA:  There are plenty of 4" long ceramic rod sharpening tools...or just break one of the long white ceramic rods into more compact lengths and attach a small wooden handle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
https://lansky.com/products/blademedic-knife-sharpener/

Lansky Blade Medic, have mine with me all the time. About as compact as they come and will fit in your pocket.

Shop around, you can buy it cheaper than from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
How about thousands of free ones?

Turn over any ceramic coffee cup.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Lansky Quickfix, cheap and works fine in the field for getting a good working edge quick. I keep 'em in the trucks and in the tackleboxes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless you have edge rolling or chipping, a piece of leather with some honing compound will tidy up a dulling edge on the go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Fallkniven DC3 or DC4 sharpener would probably work well, maybe add a small strop?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
DMT duofold.  Two grits, one lightweight folding diamond hone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DMT duofold.  Two grits, one lightweight folding diamond hone.
View Quote

Yup. If you can hand sharpen, this thing is pretty much unbeatable.

Folds to about 5"x1.25"x0.4", and weighs just over 2oz.

The Blue/Coarse side can quickly reprofile even rusted stuff that is butter knife dull. The Red/Fine side can get an edge shaving sharp. The diamond abrasive will easily cut/sharpen even the new super steels at really high HRc that ceramics and Arkansas stones have trouble with.

Amazon Product
  • Portable, lightweight with convenient fold & go handles which enclose and protect the diamond whetstone when not in use
  • 2 sided with coarse diamond to transform a dull edge and fine diamond for a razor sharp edge
  • Sharpens knives and tools faster than conventional stones with DMT's monocrystalline diamond surface

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup. If you can hand sharpen, this thing is pretty much unbeatable.

Folds to about 5"x1.25"x0.4", and weighs just over 2oz.

The Blue/Coarse side can quickly reprofile even rusted stuff that is butter knife dull. The Red/Fine side can get an edge shaving sharp. The diamond abrasive will easily cut/sharpen even the new super steels at really high HRc that ceramics and Arkansas stones have trouble with.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFTW

View Quote

I have the blue/black and the red/green.  Both are over 20 years old and still honing and fixing blades
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top