Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 2:50:02 PM EDT
Goal, bump helmet for nods, and would like to have ear pro on it and have comms included to set up.
Starting from scratch,  what are some better option/setups?
Thinking about the TW exfil ltp. Hear its one of the most comfortable ones for a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Peltor comtacs are the most popular higher end solution.

If you're going super Gucci OpsCore Amp system.

If your running a feng, or some other handy talky you'll need to make sure you can get a PTT that will be compatible with your radio for these two options.

I just placed an order today with Disco32 for a couple different custom wired PTT's.

https://www.disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks

If you're ballin on a budget Howard Leights with a hand mic equipped with audio out to link the two.  (You'll need the unity MARK+SARA arc rail adapters).
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]

• Comtac III Single Comms run under helmet - $250-500 (They pop up on EE all the time)

• DISCO32 PTT adapter - $100

• HT with Kenwood 2-pin standard

• Baofeng - GOOD - $23
    Amazon Product
    • Extend your UV-5R range with the recommended high gain antenna (not included): B00KC4PWQQ (Nagoya NA-771)
    • High / Low Power Settings (4W/1W) Programmable Amateur Radio; Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)
    • Customize Channel Names, the Boot Display and More by Using the Optional (not included) PC03 Computer Programming Cable (B00HUB0ONK)

• Baofeng - BETTER - $90
    MissingImage
    Failed To Load Product Data

• Baofeng - BEST - $80
    MissingImage
    Failed To Load Product Data

• Kenwood - Tier Level - BALLER - TH-D74A $550-600 (with Extended Frequency TX mod)

Pics incoming in a few...

Run it poors:
Attachment Attached File

Run it baller:
Attachment Attached File

EDIT:

I'll add links for stuff. Check back at this post.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stumbled across this thread. GREAT post.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pics incoming in a few...

Run it poors:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20200413_165031_jpg-1765356.JPG

Run it baller:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20200413_165215_jpg-1765360.JPG

EDIT:

I'll add links for stuff. Check back at this post.
View Quote

@PFran42

Can you list exactly what need to order/purchase if my family and I choose the "best" Baofengs? My brother and I will be using them in conjunction with our plate carriers and mating the radios to Peltor Comtac Vs, while my parents will just use the radio with no headsets involved. We all live within a mile of each other.

Also, I'm assuming these are GMRS radios? So, how do I get a license?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@PFran42

Can you list exactly what need to order/purchase if my family and I choose the "best" Baofengs? My brother and I will be using them in conjunction with our plate carriers and mating the radios to Peltor Comtac Vs, while my parents will just use the radio with no headsets involved. We all live within a mile of each other.

Also, I'm assuming these are GMRS radios? So, how do I get a license?

Thank you in advance.
View Quote

@Wobblin-Goblin

"Best" Baofengs are either the BF-F8HP or the UV-82HP

See my thread (read it all before ordering anything as things were learned and decisions were changed):

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Baofeng-owners-I-found-your-pouch--and-your-amplified-PTT-/5-2316584/

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m a bigger fan of ballistic helmets.

I own a TW Exfil SL ballistic. The Team Wendy pads and CAM fit BOA system are very nice.

I run the Unity MARK system on the 3.0 rails with COMTAC Vs. I like the Unity because it keeps the hearing pro pressed into your ears. This keeps the seal tight to protect hearing and has the added benefit of making the helmet even more stable on your head.

There may be other options superior to what I have, but what I run is comfortable and works for how I run my helmet.

+1 for Disco32. If you get your license think about going the DMR route for radios.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Wobblin-Goblin

"Best" Baofengs are either the BF-F8HP or the UV-82HP

See my thread (read it all before ordering anything as things were learned and decisions were changed):

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Baofeng-owners-I-found-your-pouch--and-your-amplified-PTT-/5-2316584/
View Quote

Been reading it since last night, trying to soak it all in and understand. Probably finish the thread later today or tomorrow. If I have any further questions, is it ok to IM you? Thanks.

@PFran42
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m a bigger fan of ballistic helmets.

I own a TW Exfil SL ballistic. The Team Wendy pads and CAM fit BOA system are very nice.

I run the Unity MARK system on the 3.0 rails with COMTAC Vs. I like the Unity because it keeps the hearing pro pressed into your ears. This keeps the seal tight to protect hearing and has the added benefit of making the helmet even more stable on your head.

There may be other options superior to what I have, but what I run is comfortable and works for how I run my helmet.

+1 for Disco32. If you get your license think about going the DMR route for radios.
View Quote

I have an Ops-Core bump helmet coming in, but in the meantime, I picked up an airsoft replica Ops-Core bump helmet off amazon to test functionality of ear pro and other stuff. Here is what I am running right now:

replica bump helmet
3M Peltor ARC attachments
3M Peltor 27db hearing pro

I'm not happy with this setup. If you have the helmet on and the ear pro clicked "out" so you can hear what's going on around you, you then cannot press the ear pro "in" so you have protection. You simply cannot press in far enough to get it to click. The only way to have the ear pro clicked "in" is to click it in before you put the helmet on and then hope your head doesn't click it back out when you try and squeeze the helmet on. I realize this isn't my final setup, but I wanted something to test and figure out...and this setup isn't working like it needs to.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally I don't mate my peltors (single comm ACH) to my work helmet since I sometimes need them standalone. I wear them under the helmet. Not fast to don or doff, but if you move your pads around to create a channel for the headband you can still set it up comfortably enough to be worn for hours, and you don't have to deal with attaching them to the helmet. I would also highly recommend noisefighter sightline gel ear cups, if you don't have them already. They really do a lot to mitigate the inevitable hot spots caused by your eye pro after a long day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Been reading it since last night, trying to soak it all in and understand. Probably finish the thread later today or tomorrow. If I have any further questions, is it ok to IM you? Thanks.

@PFran42
View Quote

@Wobblin-Goblin

Sure. First decide exactly what you are trying to accomplish (setup -wise). Radio on PC with re-route cable? Radio on PC with extended antenna secured to shoulder strap? PPT? Headset? etc. After that, it is as simple as sourcing a few parts and putting everything together.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I don't mate my peltors (single comm ACH) to my work helmet since I sometimes need them standalone. I wear them under the helmet. Not fast to don or doff, but if you move your pads around to create a channel for the headband you can still set it up comfortably enough to be worn for hours, and you don't have to deal with attaching them to the helmet. I would also highly recommend noisefighter sightline gel ear cups, if you don't have them already. They really do a lot to mitigate the inevitable hot spots caused by your eye pro after a long day.
View Quote

4000 times on the noisefighters gel cups, I have them on my peltors and my howard leights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm planning on eventually getting the noisefighter sightline gel ear cups.  Without them after hours of wear time I do feel the COMTACs.

I have just a few odds and ends to complete my basic overt loadout and that's one of them.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#13]
A few months ago we had a week of training that involved hours spent wearing helmets/ears/eyes. By the end of day 2 the bony part behind my ears was really getting sore. By the end of the week it felt like it was giving me a headache. Replaced my standard gel cups with noisefighters immediately. Went to a 5-day shooting course in WY in January, and while they didn't eliminate the problem, the new gel cups made it a whole lot more bearable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Running electronic muffs along with a connector to a shoulder mic is a cheaper alternative to the comtacs. I have some knockoff peltor comtacs that work great with cheap chinese radios. They have gel cups that are very comfortable, but for less than full time use, the regular shooting muffs, 3.5mm connector to a remote mic will do the same job with less weight and a lot less money.

Mic

muffs

cable
This setup is not super tactical, but it serves the same purpose, and weighs less, and costs a lot less.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I just tried this setup. Nib Howies, used the included cable, connected to a baofeng speaker/mic. Even with the gain on the muffs all the way up, I can barely hear the radio. I considered looking for an inline headphone amp with proper sized in/out jacks. I started on this to try and save money, now I’m annoyed and don’t want to admit defeat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just tried this setup. Nib Howies, used the included cable, connected to a baofeng speaker/mic. Even with the gain on the muffs all the way up, I can barely hear the radio. I considered looking for an inline headphone amp with proper sized in/out jacks. I started on this to try and save money, now I’m annoyed and don’t want to admit defeat.
View Quote

Something like this?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Something like this?
View Quote

That should do it. It probably won’t live long in the rain, but for what I have in the whole setup, who cares. I plan to get into something better in a couple of months. I beat the checking pretty hard recently. PVS14, 321G, mounts, switches, etc. I really need to become wealthy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That should do it. It probably won’t live long in the rain, but for what I have in the whole setup, who cares. I plan to get into something better in a couple of months. I beat the checking pretty hard recently. PVS14, 321G, mounts, switches, etc. I really need to become wealthy.
View Quote

What about putting it in a pouch on the back of your helmet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I will try one out. If it cures the sound problem, I will come up with a way to keep it dry. I will report back here with the outcome either way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will try one out. If it cures the sound problem, I will come up with a way to keep it dry. I will report back here with the outcome either way.
View Quote

I have a setup from Tac-sky, it is a chinese peltor knockoff that runs around 130 bucks that works surprisingly well. I got mine used for half price, and it is fully functional. I figured for 65 bucks it was worth a try. Even has gel cups.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Running electronic muffs along with a connector to a shoulder mic is a cheaper alternative to the comtacs. I have some knockoff peltor comtacs that work great with cheap chinese radios. They have gel cups that are very comfortable, but for less than full time use, the regular shooting muffs, 3.5mm connector to a remote mic will do the same job with less weight and a lot less .
View Quote

That's what I'm doing.  Coiled cord from hand mic, goes to jack in Peltor Tactical 100s.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's what I'm doing.  Coiled cord from hand mic, goes to jack in Peltor Tactical 100s.  Works fine.
View Quote

Have you used the Peltors under a helmet? If so, were they reasonably comfortable?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.  ACH large, Peltor 100s, works great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a thread about this several years ago. I'll try to dig up the link.
It involved using a Mono adapting plug or cable.
I'm not 100% sure about all the technical jargon, but I guess you lose a lot of signal strength with a Stereo cable.
I used a mono adapter jack plugged into the remote mic, then piped that into my HL headset. It really boosts the signal.
I'll try to find the links to the stuff I bought based upon said thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There was a thread about this several years ago. I'll try to dig up the link.
It involved using a Mono adapting plug or cable.
I'm not 100% sure about all the technical jargon, but I guess you lose a lot of signal strength with a Stereo cable.
I used a mono adapter jack plugged into the remote mic, then piped that into my HL headset. It really boosts the signal.
I'll try to find the links to the stuff I bought based upon said thread.
View Quote

Using just a stereo cable will put the signal in just one earphone. The mono adapter will allow the signal in both ears.
One of these
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I seem to remember there being more to it than that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
If you look at a stereo cable, it has two plastic "stripes" that separate the left and right side channels. This allows the stereo sound into the headphones. The radio connection does not require stereo, so it has only one plastic stripe separating ground from signal.
What happens is the the little pins inside the microphone jack (2) only make contact with the ground and one channel of the stereo cable. Using the adapter removes the second stripe, and allows the signal to go to both the left and right channels on the cable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top