Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/30/2018 1:09:39 PM EDT
I’m getting ready to step into the FA arena. I’ve been doing some research. At first I was dead set on a Colt M16... then I thought I would be using this as a shooter so I’ve beenlooking at conversions (sendra, frankford arsenal, etc). But now I’m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go colt. I want a gun I’m not afraid to shoot. My concern is that with a nice colt I’d be afraid to actually use it. I would probably only be going out a few times a year, and I’m not a run and gun guy, but I do like to play with my stuff. Are you guys shooting your colts often? Am I going to regret getting a conversion?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:t I would be using this as a shooter
View Quote
conversion
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Went conversion route and don't regret it one bit.

1) The money I saved I used to buy an M11
2) No one who shoots it is going to ask the make and model #, they are just grinning ear to ear from having just shot a machine gun.
3) Those who do notice are likely other collectors and more are just excited to be hanging out with other MG owners as it is a rare hobby so we don't encounter many people out in the wild.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a good conversion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it unreasonable to offer below what the listed price is? I see most listed at $17-20k.. is offering $15-16k a no-no?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it unreasonable to offer below what the listed price is? I see most listed at $17-20k.. is offering $15-16k a no-no?
View Quote
Depends on the price.. if its 17 its unlikely you'll get it for 16, if its a RR up for 20 then offering 18.5 may be reasonable but that's 100% case by case (condition, etc). I found most reputable dealers dont budge on price cause they know we will all say they budge on prices on FB, forums, etc, that being said I have had my tax taken care of before, which was a nice chunk of change

ETA.. I think most people these days forget 100,000rds is not uncommon, its unlikely you're going to shoot out anything you buy, especially a colt, but I'd go convert all day
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to be the contrarian here, based on the assumption that you can afford a Colt without much difficulty.  
If you can afford a Colt, and want a Colt, and have done your research, that's absolutely what you should get.  Otherwise, you'll always have it in your head that you could have and maybe should have.  It will not lose value by being shot (unless you get a NIB one, obviously).
If you find after a couple of years that you wish you would have purchased a conversion, you can always sell it and buy a conversion, plus a pallet of ammo or a subgun.
I bought an M16A2, and shoot it every time I go rifle shooting.  I could have purchased two conversion RRs for the money at the time.  I'm SO glad I didn't.
As usual, MHO, YMMV, et cetera...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
There are arguments -- and good ones -- for both a factory Colt and a conversion.  I have Colts and don't hesitate to shoot them, but if you do a bit of work you can get the same experience (a fully in specification lower) with a conversion.  I think the most important thing is to buy what YOU WANT and then you can't go wrong.  I had a great RDIAS but never warmed up to a conversion part that can literally fall out of the gun when opened and found it not as flexible as I expected.  Other folks shoot their RDIAS across all kinds of platforms and wouldn't be happy with anything else.  Since a MG is a "want" and not a "need" you might as well get what you want.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in the same boat and went with a Colt M16A2....best decision I had ever made. Moving back to NY ruined that great decision though...lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
buy the real deal...buy a Colt.......it will hold its value...shoot it, enjoy it...if some day you shoot the barrel out get a new barrel....it will hold its value and sell quickly.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
buy the real deal...buy a Colt.......it will hold its value...shoot it, enjoy it...if some day you shoot the barrel out get a new barrel....it will hold its value and sell quickly.....
View Quote
Given the rapidly rising cost of retro components, it will be cheaper long term to put the original upper aside and build a cloned upper to run hard.  Colt surplus barreled uppers aren't <$200 anymore.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are arguments -- and good ones -- for both a factory Colt and a conversion.  I have Colts and don't hesitate to shoot them, but if you do a bit of work you can get the same experience (a fully in specification lower) with a conversion.  I think the most important thing is to buy what YOU WANT and then you can't go wrong.  I had a great RDIAS but never warmed up to a conversion part that can literally fall out of the gun when opened and found it not as flexible as I expected.  Other folks shoot their RDIAS across all kinds of platforms and wouldn't be happy with anything else.  Since a MG is a "want" and not a "need" you might as well get what you want.
View Quote
Absolutely spot on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, don't I wish there was an internet to research this stuff when I bought my conversion. It was 1982, I was turning 21 in December and as a lifelong "gun guy" I needed a full auto. I saw a Frankford Arsenal xm 177e2 on the rack at one of my favorite gun shops. Word was there were no real Colts for sale to the public, which we know now is not entirely true. I had an sp1 colt for several years and the short barrel and folding stock was too cool to pass up at 600 bucks plus stamp. This has been a fantastic receiver for many, many uppers and it's versatility has kept me from spending many tens of thousands on other Mg's recently. I don't think you can hurt or wear one out unless you are a rental company or just plain abuse it.
That said, if I were to spend the money asked today I might spend the extra for the Colt, just because I could and it's now a collector thing. As far as functionality and fun and anyone at the range having any clue as to the difference? Almost 0%   Hope this helps but it's probably just more confusion. LOl Bob

Ps, I hate to think when I went to Frankfords shop after I bought it that I turned down stamped m60's and Bar's for 1000 bucks but that was big money for a working guy just starting out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the advice.. I’m leaning colt, but still undecided. Hope prices stay steady for a few months!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I couldn’t be happier with my Colt SP1, at least after M60 Joe did a bushing conversion on it.  I wish I kept a log of how many rounds I’ve shot through it over the last 10 years, many, many uppers worth.  Lakeside 22 belt fed(thousands of rounds but a lot of tinkering). FM-9 belt fed perfection, 5” barreled 9mm colt upper, 5.45X39, 300 BO,  many 5.56 uppers with at least two fired until the gas tube failed.  All that and the lower only shows handling wear, this thing will outlast me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
One reason I'd go for an original Colt 613, 614, M16, M16A1, or M16A2 is that a number of years ago I had issues with aftermarket parts from no less than three vendors, all who insisted that their parts were in spec and the issues were with my gun.  When I pointed out that I had a Colt M16A1, which defined what is in spec, they backed off.  Hopefully you'll never have such a situation, but having an irrefutably in spec gun can put one in a better position than a converted gun.

In any case, best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice.. I’m leaning colt, but still undecided. Hope prices stay steady for a few months!
View Quote
SP1!! Let me know if you want a picture of the M60joe bushing conversion... You have a colt for the RR price then
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#17]
SP1 is great option, Colt but cheaper. I had to have my sear holes redone but it is perfect now. I still have the large front pin which is only a tiny pain in the ass, adds 2 minutes to changing uppers but whatever
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SP1 is great option, Colt but cheaper. I had to have my sear holes redone but it is perfect now. I still have the large front pin which is only a tiny pain in the ass, adds 2 minutes to changing uppers but whatever
View Quote
Original poster... my dealer guaranteed a refund if mine was not in spec and shipped it to M60joe to confirm the week I bought it (was confirmed a week or two later), its worth asking if you go that route, I am not sure M60joe is even doing work anymore or at least taking new jobs, haven't been on here much this year but remember seeing something
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Correct, he told me he isnt taking work until after summer (started as after winter, then after spring...) so I used Victor @ US Anodizing who did amazing work and I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SP1!! Let me know if you want a picture of the M60joe bushing conversion... You have a colt for the RR price then
View Quote
Yes please share some pics

60k rounds and 2 tiny nicks? Do you use rubber magazines and silk gloves when you go to the range?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes please share some pics

60k rounds and 2 tiny nicks? Do you use rubber magazines and silk gloves when you go to the range?
View Quote
Ill have to take some when I get home, this is the only one on my work computer, basically a perfect conversion to small pin though
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ill have to take some when I get home, this is the only one on my work computer, basically a perfect conversion to small pin though
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414057/G1_-_Colt_SP1_small_pin_conversion-587360.JPG
View Quote
Is the front takedown pin (pivot) captured?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Pictures of my old SP1 that I sent to Norrell to convert to small pin.
Also had him weld over the SAFE, FIRE and re-engrave SAFE, SEMI, AUTO
This was all done back around 2002.  I actually did a straight trade for someone that had a steel RDIAS a few years after having it converted to small pin.

Notice no 'fence' on the right side so pin is not captive.  Had to use that a detent pin as seen in the pic below.
I did ask Norrell about the possibility of making the fence to hold the spring and detent on the right side of the receiver and he said that it weakens the receiver to do that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Still have the RDIAS? You should trade me for my SP1, it only makes sense
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still have the RDIAS? You should trade me for my SP1, it only makes sense
View Quote
Hah...nice try...when I did the trade, RDIAS' were valued less than a RR...I could see the potential of the RDIAS back then.  People were saying they couldn't spend that much on a small piece of metal and wanted a receiver.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hah...nice try...when I did the trade, RDIAS' were valued less than a RR...I could see the potential of the RDIAS back then.  People were saying they couldn't spend that much on a small piece of metal and wanted a receiver.
View Quote
hahah had to try! I have an RLL in jail at the moment so..."close enough"
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I ended up going Sendra because of how much I shoot everything else I own. Didn't make sense to pony up for a roll mark on a lower that shoots the same
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
So will any other M16
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top