Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 1/29/2020 6:43:55 AM EDT
Saw this Colt M16 A2 for sale locally. Being in Switzerland prices are different than in the US. Should be a bit over $ 2500.- I guess it’s an export model since there is no property of us gvt markings. Any ideas of year built ?

It seems to be in nice condition and I will most likely buy it, I need to apply for a special permit first, then a few weeks wait.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
From the lower, mid-late 80s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think early, maybe even mid '85.  Honestly, I wouldn't buy it if you're looking for an A2.  It's no doubt a real Colt and it's certainly stamped A2 but it lacks the reinforcements to the lower that make an M16A2 an A2.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like an A2 to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think early, maybe even mid '85.  Honestly, I wouldn't buy it if you're looking for an A2.  It's no doubt a real Colt and it's certainly stamped A2 but it lacks the reinforcements to the lower that make an M16A2 an A2.
View Quote
Can you illustrate what the reinforcements look like please  ?

Well I have never seen another M16A2 for sale here in Switzerland. Seems it’s still a nice piece to own as a full auto Colt rifle for $ 2500+
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd most certainly buy it.  It is a very early M16A2.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can you illustrate what the reinforcements look like please  ?

Well I have never seen another M16A2 for sale here in Switzerland. Seems it’s still a nice piece to own as a full auto Colt rifle for $ 2500+
View Quote
I'm sure it would be a nice piece to own and if you're just looking for an M16 that one looks to be in very good shape.  However, if you're specifically looking to add an A2 to your collection then I would pass.

Compare the areas around the front and rear takedown pins in this gun to the one you're looking at.  Material was added to both and is what differentiates an A1 lower from an A2.  During the transition from A1 to A2, Colt would take A1 forgings they had in inventory and mark them as A2 to fulfill foreign and domestic LE orders.  The US military would not have accepted the gun you're looking at as an A2.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm sure it would be a nice piece to own and if you're just looking for an M16 that one looks to be in very good shape.  However, if you're specifically looking to add an A2 to your  collection then I would pass.

Compare the areas around the front and rear takedown pins in this gun to the one you're looking at.  Material was added to both and is what differentiates an A1 lower from an A2.  During the transition from A1 to A2, Colt would take A1 forgings they had in inventory and mark them as A2 to fulfill foreign and domestic LE orders.  The US military would not have accepted the gun you're looking at as an A2.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/2214857/413726564.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for explanation, very clear now with the picture you posted (which interestingly has an « auto » position rather than « burst » ).

Guess it confirms that it’s an export model. So much variants due to the « old parts in the bin never go to waste » motto prevalent at Colt.

I am not sure I will ever find an M16A2 with the proper lower here. I also imagine that by the mid eighties the US military was not « losing » as many rifles as in the past, and civilian sales were halted by the NFA  of 19th May 1986.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Front lugs sure make it look like an A1, buts be one of those in the transition period.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for explanation, very clear now with the picture you posted (which interestingly has an « auto » position rather than « burst » ).

Guess it confirms that it’s an export model. So much variants due to the « old parts in the bin never go to waste » motto prevalent at Colt.

I am not sure I will ever find an M16A2 with the proper lower here. I also imagine that by the mid eighties the US military was not « losing » as many rifles as in the past, and civilian sales were halted by the NFA  of 19th May 1986.
View Quote
If the order was large enough Colt would configure the gun the way the customer wanted.  In the case of my gun the wholesaler asked for the guns to be marked AUTO and come with full auto internals.  It's a relatively rare transferable variant here in the US.

Where do your guns come from?  What happened here regarding the NFA should have no bearing at all on what you might have access to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the order was large enough Colt would configure the gun the way the customer wanted.  In the case of my gun the wholesaler asked for the guns to be marked AUTO and come with full auto internals.  It's a relatively rare transferable variant here in the US.

Where do your guns come from?  What happened here regarding the NFA should have no bearing at all on what you might have access to.
View Quote
I buy them from private sellers, auctions, LGS. I thought there was a relation when it comes to US property marked weapons, that they were still accessible to the American public’s prior 1986, and maybe sometimes exported.

But maybe I’m wrong.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Sorry about that, I should have been more clear.  I wasn't asking where you buy your guns, I was asking where the guns available for sale in Switzerland come from.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Iraqi M16A2's out there somewhere.

Generally speaking, property marked guns were never available for sale to civilians here in the US.  Some still made it into circulation but not from direct sales to civilians.  The property marked guns available around the world were either battlefield pickups (Vietnam, as an example) or guns sold or gifted to allies of the US and then subsequently sold off as surplus by the country that received them (Israel, as an example).
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear.  I wasn't asking where you buy your guns, I was asking where the guns available for sale in Switzerland come from.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Iraqi M16A2's out there somewhere.

Generally speaking, property marked guns were never available for sale to civilians here in the US.  Some still made it into circulation but not from direct sales to civilians.  The property marked guns available around the world were either battlefield pickups (Vietnam, as an example) or guns sold or gifted to allies of the US and then subsequently sold off as surplus by the country that received them (Israel, as an example).
View Quote
Or maybe pilfered by soldiers in times where the army was not so good at keeping track of its hardware ?

Attachment Attached File

The origin of any old gun is hard to track. My M16-A1 definitely spent time in Israel

Attachment Attached File

But also likely passed in the hands of a British arms dealer

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The XM177 no idea

I have a Norinco M305, totally new, full of cosmoline, that was originally imported by Alan Lever in Canada

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And an NDM 86 originally imported by Kent firearms in Atlanta

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If these things could talk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice guns!

Quoted:...It seems to be in nice condition and I will most likely buy it, I need to apply for a special permit first, then a few weeks wait...
View Quote
Unlike the up-to-one-year wait here in the States

And $2500 for a transitional M16A2
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The origin of any old gun is hard to track. My M16-A1 definitely spent time in Israel

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390738/21BF397D-AA20-44C5-9B2D-9B1DE2D500EF_jpe-1254794.JPG
View Quote
My M203 spent some time there as well. Even looks like the same color and style of anodizing.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top