BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2021 9:28:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Swapped the bolt carrier groups between the two uppers, tried on both lowers, still get a dead trigger after 2-3 rounds.
View Quote
So the problem followed the IAR upper right, not the BCG?

In that case I think you're experiencing bolt bounce.
I'd try it on an M16 lower with a standard rifle buffer setup.

If it still happens with that, then I'd look into gas port erosion being the cause.

If the rifle buffer solves it, you may need to go extra heavy on your carbine buffer/spring setup. (Maybe use a Vltor A5 receiver extension.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked the sear relief cut on the IAR? Symptoms make it sound like its contacting the sear when closed on a lower and disabling it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the LMG upper works on the IAR lower with the carbine RE?

I’m guessing worn out recoil spring if the buffer is actually an H3
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you done a dry function check of the rifle in the configuration when you were shooting it? Put it on auto, ride the bolt forward and wait for the click of the sear releasing the hammer. When testing doing a simple function check rules out lots of weird stuff pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Turns out somehow a standard carbine buffer had gotten into the lower, and a spring of unknown origin.

H3 buffer and new spring in order, hopefully that solves the issue.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Well that makes a whole lot more sense. But what about the fact that the hydraulic buffer also resulted in issues?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's an original Colt hydraulic buffer, be sure to inspect the piston/front and ensure it's still buffery...
These have a tendency to lose their seal, allowing the fluid to leak and the piston can become non-springy. They can theoretically be rebuilt if you can source new seals.

You should have to pull the charging handle back extra hard (to compress the piston) in order to engage the BHO.

This thread has uncompressed spring lengths (from gman552): https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Colt-LMG-upper---bolt-hold-open--BHO--doesn-t-work-with-LMG-hydraulic-buffer-and-spring/23-483410/
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Turns out somehow a standard carbine buffer had gotten into the lower, and a spring of unknown origin.

H3 buffer and new spring in order, hopefully that solves the issue.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Make sense.
An H1 or 2 buffer plus a Sprinco std spring (white?) fixed the same issue on a friends colt hbar
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ran like clockwork, no issues at all.
View Quote
Awesome!

Now let's talk about it.

Which do you think is better for automatic rifleman (squad use) between Colt's LMG and their IAR?

Did your IAR upper come with any instructions as far as maximum sustained rate of fire, or max rapid fire? Would you mind sharing what you paid?
Do you know if Colt has produced any IAR uppers in the last decade?

Colt Canada still produces the LMG/LSW uppers right?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The real special sauce of the Colt LMG however is the combination of the rifle length recoil system and the hydraulic buffer.  The recoil is just the smoothest, most controllable leisurely 600 rpm rate of fire.  It is the most controllable 5.56 full uato magazine fed weapon I have ever fired, and you really appreciate that it was built for very controllable and consistent full auto fire.
View Quote
The LMG also has a really heavy barrel and the gas tube has a larger diameter than anything else out there.

Regarding the rifle length spring, you can get the same benefits from using a Tubb flat spring.  I've documented that here: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=977

As you probably know, with a 'rifle recoil system' it still has the same stroke length as a carbine since the stroke length is limited by the carrier key.

The Surefire OBC and a few other one piece carriers allow you to extend that length.

Pictured below is the smoothest suppressed 5.56 setup I have tried.  

Custom fat gas tube.
Rifle length gas.
556 Tubb flat spring
Kynshot RB5005 Hydraulic buffer
Surefire OBC

576 RPM w/ M855

Attachment Attached File

The Surefire OBC is not necessary though.  I think it does make it a bit more pleasant shooting suppressed.
For a shorty, my 12.5 mid gas is my favorite.
556 Tubb flat spring and Kynshot hydraulic RB5007 is one of my favorite buffer/spring configurations...running in the low 600's. (standard BCG)
Attachment Attached File

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top