Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 7:46:08 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right spot for this so if not, mod’s please move it.

I recently picked up this Colt 1903 handgun. I bought it online and was not able to inspect it. The finish is rougher than I thought based on the picture. Inside was also a in worse shape than I though, I was able to clean it up but I am concerned about the barrel. I still have a lot of work to do but it looks pretty badly pitted.

Thoughts?Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Scrub the hell out of the barrel, clean it well and do the same for the whole pistol, then go shoot it. I'd replace the springs, Wolff sells a service pack for them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one.  Good shooter, easy to conceal.  Fun gun.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
InLeadWeTrust threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Scrub the hell out of the barrel, clean it well and do the same for the whole pistol, then go shoot it. I'd replace the springs, Wolff sells a service pack for them.
View Quote

The sad thing is this was after about an hour of scrubbing the bore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my grail guns. One day I will pick one up
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a good project for turnbull to color case harden? Looks like a fun gun!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 66cuda:

The sad thing is this was after about an hour of scrubbing the bore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 66cuda:
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Scrub the hell out of the barrel, clean it well and do the same for the whole pistol, then go shoot it. I'd replace the springs, Wolff sells a service pack for them.

The sad thing is this was after about an hour of scrubbing the bore.

Old corrosive ammo ate a lot of barrels back in the day.

I'm betting it'll still shoot just fine with FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparky923:
InLeadWeTrust threaded barrel?
View Quote

Haha, pretty sure it would look ridiculous with my osprey 45.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, I think it will be a fine shooter.  You may need to spend more time keeping the barrel clean, though.

I wouldn't mind picking up one in that kind of shape as a shooter and something to carry from time-to-time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, I think it will be a fine shooter.  You may need to spend more time keeping the barrel clean, though.

I wouldn't mind picking up one in that kind of shape as a shooter and something to carry from time-to-time.
View Quote

I definitely plan on cleaning it more and shooting it.

Quoted:
Clean it and shoot it. You'll be surprised at how fun they are and how well they shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/Ex7xZfc.jpg

Mine is a Type III made in 1919.
View Quote

This one was made in 1919
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful guns, mine was made in 1908
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
You can get a new barrel from Brownells and high quality magazines both made by U.S Armament who was making complete guns.

Definitely invest in a spring kit from Wolff. Looking at your pictures, you really need to be concerned about the safety. It has been center punched/peen'd where the shaft attaches to the lever. Ensure that is functions as it should but, I'd be looking for a replacement if you're actually planning on carrying it.

They are fun guns, I restored one a few years ago and use it as a daily carry.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
You can get a new barrel from Brownells and high quality magazines both made by U.S Armament who was making complete guns.

Definitely invest in a spring kit from Wolff. Looking at your pictures, you really need to be concerned about the safety. It has been center punched/peen'd where the shaft attaches to the lever. Ensure that is functions as it should but, I'd be looking for a replacement if you're actually planning on carrying it. 

They are fun guns, I restored one a few years ago and use it as a daily carry. 

Wpns Man
View Quote

I noticed the safety as well. This is the Achilles heel of these little guns.
What I’ve done is have the safety lever welded to the cross shaft.
File and sand down the weld blob and cold re-blue.
The new safeties sold on -line are trash. Do not FO.
Good luck finding an original.
I love the 1903. Shoot mine frequently.
Definitely get the Wolff spring pack.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
You can get a new barrel from Brownells and high quality magazines both made by U.S Armament who was making complete guns.

Definitely invest in a spring kit from Wolff. Looking at your pictures, you really need to be concerned about the safety. It has been center punched/peen'd where the shaft attaches to the lever. Ensure that is functions as it should but, I'd be looking for a replacement if you're actually planning on carrying it. 

They are fun guns, I restored one a few years ago and use it as a daily carry. 

Wpns Man
View Quote

I’m embarrassed to say that I completely missed the safety. I function checked it and it does work properly. But I am supper bummed about that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Jack First Gun Parts have both the old style and new style safety on page 2 of their Colt 1903 page.

Jack First Gun Parts Colt 1903 page 2
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
That is what I hate about buying older guns online.  If they don't have a picture of the bore or a good description or they lie about the condition you are king of screwed

I got lucky with this.  It is a Colt Police Positive in 38 S&W.  The bore was described as good but dark. I got it pretty cheap.  I cleaned it up and the bore and cylinders look nearly new.

The timing is dead on.  I wasn't sure of the date but it was made in 1906, a second year production.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one a few years back, loved it and was a great little carry piece. Wish I hadn’t sold it, but life kept kicking me in the nards
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Years ago, I picked up a 1903 and a 1908 for $300 for both. Doubt I'd find that deal nowadays. [same guy was selling both]

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I love mine, also made in 1919. I always liked the wood grips over the plastic and found a set on eBay. Your grips appear to be Type I.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]
On my short list ever since my wife and I watched Boardwalk Empire.  Shoot it as is before you pass judgement.  It's a very short range gun by design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top