Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/5/2023 10:46:49 PM EDT
I just bought a Viking Battle Axe, partially to use it's 30" handle in my Trail Hawks. Supposedly all the CS hawks have the same eye and can use their different handles. What do they offer in longer lengths? Internet searching seems to indicate there are 40" and 52" handles but I can't figure out what models and where to buy them. Cold Steel only offers the 22" handle on their website.
I want to do a fokos, an old European walking axe, with a Trail Hawk head and would like to avoid crafting a handle. 30" is too short for me to stride confidently through the woods, protecting my livestock from wolves.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a moron, this is their 52" handle model.

https://www.coldsteel.com/viking-axe/

Feel free to delete, sorry for the hassle!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool idea for a modern shepherds axe. Trail hawk head is perfect.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It seems that their website lists handle length at 48". I may be wrong but I seem to recall that model's handle and eye being much larger in diameter than their tomahawks. The Viking Axe is very large and significant in size and weight, definitely an axe (purpose designed as a weapon, head not going to hold up to utility tasks like felling large trees)  and not a tomahawk (although the head mounts like one).

Cold Steel's UK site lists a replacement handle for the Viking Axe here (but it is listed as no longer availible):
https://www.coldsteel-uk.com/product/cold-steel-viking-axe-handle-cs-h89va/

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
All I know is I bought one of their hawks and the handle broke within minutes of light use. I was using it to strip the small like 1/8" branches off bamboo. I finished the job with a CS hawk that has the steel handle with G10 scales.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All I know is I bought one of their hawks and the handle broke within minutes of light use. I was using it to strip the small like 1/8" branches off bamboo. I finished the job with a CS hawk that has the steel handle with G10 scales.
View Quote

Grain direction has alot to do with how well any wood hafted tool survives serious use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Grain direction has alot to do with how well any wood hafted tool survives serious use.
View Quote

This is pretty important, there was a time when tool handles, wooden spokes and other things like this were rived out aka split out of wood then shaped to size, to assure the grain was consistent from end to end.   That does not really happen anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

GSM cold steel doesn’t offer the 50” haft for repairs. You have to buy a new Viking axe for the handle. The war hammer handle is 30” and fits all tomahawks they make. I put one on a pipe hawk with a crutch tip on the end. Made a decent “walking” cane.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all!

Quoted:

GSM cold steel doesn’t offer the 50” haft for repairs. You have to buy a new Viking axe for the handle. The war hammer handle is 30” and fits all tomahawks they make. I put one on a pipe hawk with a crutch tip on the end. Made a decent “walking” cane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, thank you. I was finally able to get my 30" Viking axe in the same place as my smaller hawks, handle swapping is fun; I have a Trail Hawk head on the long handle now. This one is a lot higher quality than the smaller hawks. 30" is too short for me though, kind of a "no, walk this way" thing.
I cut one Trail Hawk handle down to 10", it's too short for that head but I bet I can cut pizza with it with the big head! Kind of an ulu.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top