Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2019 9:30:10 PM EDT
In case anyone will be sbr’ing their ps90...cmmg barrels are no longer chrome lined and are now melonited (I found out the hard way and their website is now updated as I had to call and advise).
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
website says chrome molly
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Honest question, why does it matter?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper manufacturing process for the same money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I just got one from Opticsplanet and it's chrome lined 4150.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I just got one from Opticsplanet and it's chrome lined 4150.
View Quote
Is that shown on the packaging? Just wondering because I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up.  I have had my form 1 for 2 years now and have never gotten around to finishing my ps90.  Now, because of you I am $327 poorer and my barrel and adapter are ordered. FYI, save 10% by visiting this thread first.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/10-Off-Optics-Planet-Discount-Code/180-1751724/?r=-1&page=36&anc=81172506#i81172506
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that shown on the packaging? Just wondering because I just ordered one.
View Quote
It is shown on the packaging and the barrel is marked MPC.

M = Magnetic Particle Inspected
P = Proof tested
C = Chrome lined

This is how CMMG marks their barrels. I also checked the bore and it is definitely chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
All current barrels from CMMG are non chromed...this is direct from CMMG. They changed the description on their website because of me. If you are purchasing a barrel I would verify if possible that it is NOS chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All current barrels from CMMG are non chromed...this is direct from CMMG. They changed the description on their website because of me. If you are purchasing a barrel I would verify if possible that it is NOS chrome lined.
View Quote
Interesting. In that case I agree anyone looking to buy one should try and verify it is indeed a chrome lined barrel prior to purchasing. Seems that there are still some floating around that are.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Just purchased CMMG 10.4 assuming that I would get a non-CL barrel and got a CL one (clearly marked on label and also on visual inspection).  It was new and appeared to be drop shipped from a distributor.  Didn't even think to check until I saw this thread.  The chamber doesn't appear to be CL though, unlike the FN factory PS90 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cheaper manufacturing process for the same money.
View Quote
Cost of manufacturing goes up every year.

And for 5.7, does it really matter? Answer is no.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honest question, why does it matter?
View Quote
Because 5.7 is highly corrosive; don't you pee on your gun at the conclusion of every range session?

I'd prefer a nitrided barrel, tbh; 5.7 is a pretty accurate round, and chrome is simply harder to plate without tweaking the rifling/crown and hurting accuracy.  Both will eat full mag dumps in succession without any issues well after the front end is burning.  It'd be nice if they dropped the price accordingly...but it's probably only a couple bucks difference at the very most anyway (nitride is one of the cheapest/toughest steel finishes, and chrome is one of the cheapest/toughest hard metal platings you can do).  The kinda sucky think about nitride is it requires heating the barrel to about 1000deg for a good bit of time, which can really play hell with tempers...but barrels are only a few steps above dead-soft, so it's less of a drawback in this case.  But really not something you want to do to a bolt head, for example (though people insist on it)
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]
How hard is it to install the CMMG barrel on a PS90? Is it something that should be done by a gunsmith, or is it the sort of thing that any competent tool user should be able to do?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How hard is it to install the CMMG barrel on a PS90? Is it something that should be done by a gunsmith, or is it the sort of thing that any competent tool user should be able to do?
View Quote
If you're not comfortable drilling or hacksawing your barrel, I'd have someone else do it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I just received a barrel from Optics Planet and it appears to be chrome lined.  Barrel is marked MPC and the label on the packaging says 4150CMV CL.  Based on the listing price I'd guess they're trying to get rid of the old stock for the new barrels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I assume this one is chrome lined. Just got it must be old stock
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#19]
^^^^just checked mine and the tube has the same sticker exactly. I got mine from a dude on GB, he had 10+ in stock and a lot cheaper than anywhere else
except maybe Tombstone Tactical, $238 plus ship.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
^^^^just checked mine and the tube has the same sticker exactly. I got mine from a dude on GB, he had 10+ in stock and a lot cheaper than anywhere else
except maybe Tombstone Tactical, $238 plus ship.
View Quote

@Kanewtervalve do you know what seller it was? I can’t sbr my ps90 here but would like a chrome lined barrel for when I move and I can’t obviously cut my barrel. I was waiting to buy one after I moved but it sucks they did away from the chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my chrome lined barrel on gunbroker about a month ago. Vendor was ecpfirearms
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@Kanewtervalve do you know what seller it was? I can’t sbr my ps90 here but would like a chrome lined barrel for when I move and I can’t obviously cut my barrel. I was waiting to buy one after I moved but it sucks they did away from the chrome lined barrel.
View Quote

Like the guy that posted after you, I got mine from ecpfirearms, he must have sold them all because it's not listed anymore. As far as chrome lined no idea, but there are a couple
places that have them in the $250 range, Tombstone Tactical and Locked Loaded, I've ordered from both these places before and had no problems. Everyone is swamped so if
you do order don't expect to get it for a couple weeks at the very least.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got one from OpticsPlanet and is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got one from OpticsPlanet and is chrome lined.
View Quote

I want to get one but I’ve been trying to find the legalities on having one without the stamp. Only reason would be to save it till I move and get a stamp elsewhere. Ps90 sbr is no go in IL since it doesn’t meet oal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I want to get one but I’ve been trying to find the legalities on having one without the stamp. Only reason would be to save it till I move and get a stamp elsewhere. Ps90 sbr is no go in IL since it doesn’t meet oal.
View Quote

Not entirely a non sequitur to the topic of this thread, I just bought a new threaded barrel shroud for the 16" barrel. Got it at FN Specialties- Threaded shroud for 16" barrel

This would allow you to shoot suppressed but with the normal length barrel
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not entirely a non sequitur to the topic of this thread, I just bought a new threaded barrel shroud for the 16" barrel. Got it at FN Specialties- Threaded shroud for 16" barrel

This would allow you to shoot suppressed but with the normal length barrel
View Quote

Reason for wanting one if these is because of the switch to non chrome lined. Can’t shoot surpressed in IL. I’m going to go broke getting tax stamps when I move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top