Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2022 1:49:01 AM EDT
So just closed the deal for a 76 tonight and now to fill the long wait I’m searching for parts

I know that spares are hard to come by but I would like to pick up a shorter threaded barrel and shortened shroud to run it with a suppressor. It may be seeing some hard use so any other spares I should pick up?

How much modification needs to be done to the Suomi stick mags to make them work?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations on the purchase.

There is an S&W 76 forum at Uzitalk.com that has some good information.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on your Smith 76.  Unfortunately like many other 50 year old long out of production gun the spare parts situation isn't great.

Green mountain has barrels.  The GM barrels are carbine length at 16" barrels but can easily be cut down and threaded.

BWE has some misc springs and other small parts for sale.  The owner Richard Hoffmann is in poor health so may not be around a lot longer so get what you need/want from him now.  My experience is that if you order something that shows "on backorder" you will be waiting a year or more so I would stick to just purchasing parts that show "in stock".

Global Ordnance has extractors for sale and there was a guy on Sturm recently (navygunner) that had a nice batch of wire edm manufactured extractors for sale recently.

Wolff has spare recoil springs.

Shrouds are going to be tough to locate.  You are just going to have to watch sturm, gunbroker, etc. to see if a spare pops up.   The other options would be to make one (or have one made) from scratch  or watch for one of those shitty Special Weapons semi-auto 76 clones that got sold in the early 2000s to pop up for sale and buy the whole gun to harvest the barrel and shroud.

There is another site "SA Machine" that purports to sell SW76 parts but from what I can tell they have no made or actually sold an actual Smith76 part in at least a decade and nobody will respond to your inquires.

Another alternative suppressed option vs. cutting a barrel and shroud is GSL Tech will reportedly will make integral suppressors (clones of the Gemtech SG9)  for the SW76.  I have yet to see an end user review or report of one of the GSL units and when I talked to GSL years ago when they first launched the Smith/Sten integral line they wouldn't commit to any timeframe on how long it would take for them to manufacture one.   (I ended up just making my own integral)   However, it may be worth a call to them to see what the current status and/or timeline would be for one.

For mags, Suomi mags may fit without modification or worst case a little filing on the front pad area to get them to slide in.  Its a really easy mod and Uzitalk has pictures.

Good luck on your parts search and the good news is that the guns are actually pretty simple in terms of construction so most parts should be able to be made from scratch if push comes to shove.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wishing you better luck with yours than I had with mine. Of course, it was pre-Internet, so granted there wasn't much for troubleshooting info or help available. I don't recall that it ever fired an entire mag w/o multiple stoppages.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
In addition to extractors, spares you'll want to have are good recoil springs (if the endcap starts getting slammed, it'll start egging out the retaining pin hole in the rear of the receiver), and any trigger components you can find.

When the sear contact surface on the trigger bar starts to wear, or the sear itself does, it'll start shooting bursts, then semi (only) when set to full.

I had an Irvine MK-760 years ago, and it never missed a beat ......
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Another alternative suppressed option vs. cutting a barrel and shroud is GSL Tech will reportedly will make integral suppressors (clones of the Gemtech SG9)  for the SW76.  I have yet to see an end user review or report of one of the GSL units and when I talked to GSL years ago when they first launched the Smith/Sten integral line they wouldn't commit to any timeframe on how long it would take for them to manufacture one.   (I ended up just making my own integral)   However, it may be worth a call to them to see what the current status and/or timeline would be for one.

View Quote

I just recently purchased the GSL can for my sten. Took about 3 weeks from order to arrival at my FFL. It originally arrived with a SW76 barrel, but got that swapped out for a sten barrel.

It sounds great, 115 grain tends to run away, I’m working on tweaking the recoil spring to fix that. 124gr runs perfect and is subsonic if I remove the barrel nut covering the lay two ports.

All in all, if I had a SW76 I’d def purchase the GSL unit for it
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just recently purchased the GSL can for my sten. Took about 3 weeks from order to arrival at my FFL. It originally arrived with a SW76 barrel, but got that swapped out for a sten barrel.

It sounds great, 115 grain tends to run away, I’m working on tweaking the recoil spring to fix that. 124gr runs perfect and is subsonic if I remove the barrel nut covering the lay two ports.

All in all, if I had a SW76 I’d def purchase the GSL unit for it
View Quote
Good to hear they are actually making them now and they work well.

I looked for a Gemtech SG9 unit for years and could never come up with one for a reasonable price and/or sellers would never separate the SG9 from the SW76 they were selling.    Mydealer also had one NIB for his SW76 but would never sell it to me as he wanted it for his personal gun.

I eventually I got my dealer to let me take his Gemtech unit apart to get some measurements and see how it was made and ended up making my own via a Form 1 build.  The irony being that probably 6 months after I completed my Form 1 unit he sold his SW76 and SG9.

The ability to put an integral style suppressor on these guns and run cheap 115 or 124gr 9mm subsonic is a really nice attribute as a lot of other subguns you can't get the required barrel ports close enough to the chamber to drop speed of the round in any meaningful way due to the way they are constructed.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My S&W76 came with an aftermarket barrel and shroud. I never determined who made them but I suspect they are from the 1980’s based on the outdated thread pitch on the barrel. John Andrewski cut down an extra aftermarket barrel and threaded it to 1/2x28 for me so I could use the shroud. It runs wonderfully and is a lot more compact than before (2nd photo).

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a picture and info of a shortened barrel and shroud and altering Suomi mags in the S&76 book,

https://chipotlepublishing.com/product/the-smith-wesson-model-76-submachine-gun/

You may have to use Safari or Firefox to get to the site
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My S&W76 came with an aftermarket barrel and shroud. I never determined who made them but I suspect they are from the 1980’s based on the outdated thread pitch on the barrel. John Andrewski cut down an extra aftermarket barrel and threaded it to 1/2x28 for me so I could use the shroud. It runs wonderfully and is a lot more compact than before (2nd photo).

https://i.imgur.com/Gejxr47.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LIiLe43.jpg
View Quote

QUick question regarding the aftermarket barrel that was shortened...do you recall the barrel length that he cut it down to?

thanks,

dh
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what you seek:

http://www.samachine.com/sw76.html

I first contacted him about 22 years ago. Great guy and he does awesome work.

@Banshee35
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anybody gotten an actual part from Scot Andrey at SAMachine in the past decade?

I tried on and off for years to buy parts from him via email and phone calls that never went responded to.

If I recall correctly Uzitalk (and the old now defunct subguns) were both littered with threads of folks paying for stuff and never receiving the parts and/or never being able to get him to respond to them.

Granted to his credit the first page of his website is basically a wall of text disclaimer so I guess nobody should be surprised what they are getting into.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has anybody gotten an actual part from Scot Andrey at SAMachine in the past decade?

I tried on and off for years to buy parts from him via email and phone calls that never went responded to.  

If I recall correctly Uzitalk (and the old now defunct subguns) were both littered with threads of folks paying for stuff and never receiving the parts and/or never being able to get him to respond to them.

Granted to his credit the first page of his website is basically a wall of text disclaimer so I guess nobody should be surprised what they are getting into.

View Quote

Well, that sucks. Maybe he died. I dealt with him two decades ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
https://imgur.com/a/v6twWZh

Parts I made taking gunsmithing class some years ago
I made the original 1913 stock adapter; I sold an extra one I had.  It was copied
and someone made $$$
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]
First full auto I ever shot.

Love these.  I got nothing to add besides fond memories and best wishes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top