Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2018 6:43:43 PM EDT
Along with Form4 and other paperwork. He says they’ll forward them to the CLEO.

This seems wrong to me. Silencerco and several other sites seem to indicate I should mail it to the CLEO.

Can anyone verify?

Please tag back if you don’t mind.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
@lilMAC25

Your dealer is a retard.

Tell him to read the instructions on the form itself.

BATFE 5320.4 - aka "Form 4"  - Section 2 - Preparation of Application

Sub-section 2f.

Law Enforcement Notification. The transferee must provide a copy of the
Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction
over the area of the transferee’s address shown in item 2a of the Form 4
. In
addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form
5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Question
naire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their
respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement
officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the
State Police, or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

Sub-section 2i:

Submission. The transferor shall submit 2 forms (ATF Copy 1 and Copy
2 (Registrant)) to the NFA Branch at the address on the face of the form. All
items on the form are to be completed except as noted in the instructions
and any attachment included with the submission. The applicant shall direct
the 3rd copy (CLEO) complete copy of the form to the chief law
enforcement officer as provided in instruction 2f and item 12.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

Your dealer is a retard.

Tell him to read the instructions on the form itself.

BATFE 5320.4 - aka "Form 4"  - Section 2 - Preparation of Application

Sub-section 2f.

Law Enforcement Notification. The transferee must provide a copy of the
Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction
over the area of the transferee’s address shown in item 2a of the Form 4
. In
addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form
5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Question
naire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their
respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement
officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the
State Police, or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

Sub-section 2i:

Submission. The transferor shall submit 2 forms (ATF Copy 1 and Copy
2 (Registrant)) to the NFA Branch at the address on the face of the form. All
items on the form are to be completed except as noted in the instructions
and any attachment included with the submission. The applicant shall direct
the 3rd copy (CLEO) complete copy of the form to the chief law
enforcement officer as provided in instruction 2f and item 12.
View Quote
Thanks man. That’s what I thought.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to find another NFA dealer, especially if he hasn't done any transfers since 41F.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Nah he’s educable and good people, his rationale is that the form has an “approved” or “denied” check box on it that is in the “BATFE only” portion of the form and it should be filled in before being turned in. Reasonable logic, but wrong.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nah he’s educable and good people,
View Quote
He is an illiterate moron.

Tag for more problems down the road with your xfer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah he’s educable and good people,

I’ve transferred 3 or 4 items through his shop without issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
And he's just now figuring out what to do with the CLEO form?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Every NFA dealer I’ve ever used has forwarded the CLEO copy for me as a courtesy.  I don’t see anything wrong with this practice.

*EDIT*
After re-reading your post, I now see that your NFA dealer is telling you that the BATFE will forward the CLEO copy for you. No, this is not correct.  It’s not a huge deal if he attaches it to the packet though... the BATFE will just return to you the CLEO copy along with your approved Form 4.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Just did a purchase with Capitol Armory and they forward the CLEO copy to the CLEO for me as a courtesy, no problem.  But never heard of BATFE involved in that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every NFA dealer I’ve ever used has forwarded the CLEO copy for me as a courtesy.  I don’t see anything wrong with this practice.

*EDIT*
After re-reading your post, I now see that your NFA dealer is telling you that the BATFE will forward the CLEO copy for you. No, this is not correct.  It’s not a huge deal if he attaches it to the packet though... the BATFE will just return to you the CLEO copy along with your approved Form 4.
View Quote
That’s what he said. BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO. The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Haven’t gotten anything for quite a while now. Last item was a Dead Air Sandman S that was submitted in 9/16.

I’ve had enough crazy in my life (2 floods, job change, etc) that I couldn’t remember what exactly to do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s what he said. BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s what he said. BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO.
Have you or your dealer actually looked at a Form 4 or read the instructions on that form?

I ask because not only does ATF not send the CLEO copy to your local CLEO, they certainly will not send one marked “approved” or “denied”. The CLEO copy doesn't even have a place for the examiner to indicate “approved” or “denied”.

The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
Your CLEO would probably contact NFA Branch like everyone else...….fax/phone/email.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have you or your dealer actually looked at a Form 4 or read the instructions on that form?

I ask because not only does ATF not send the CLEO copy to your local CLEO, they certainly will not send one marked “approved” or “denied”. The CLEO copy doesn't even have a place for the examiner to indicate “approved” or “denied”.

Your CLEO would probably contact NFA Branch like everyone else...….fax/phone/email.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?

Have you actually looked at what I typed above?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I did.
My questions remain the same.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I did.
Read it again. Try going slowly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good luck to you and your dealer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for finally reading.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone has to, 'cause neither you or your dealer did.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you didn’t read what I typed either, so we are even.

How would CLEO know to send BATFE any information that could possibly make me ineligible before the BATFE approved my Form 4 if I sent the CLEO copies to BATFE?

how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Just fill out a form and mail it to your cleo. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes at your ffl to fill one out and mail it off. Your ffl is an idiot, but it’s not a huge deal to fill one out and fix the problem.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just fill out a form and mail it to your cleo. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes at your ffl to fill one out and mail it off. Your ffl is an idiot, but it’s not a huge deal to fill one out and fix the problem.
View Quote
That’s basically what I did, thanks to the serious answers from early in the thread. I thought I recalled doing that on my previous stamp, but wasn't 100% sure.

He double checked to make sure all the boxes were filled in correctly and signed.

I sent the correct copies to CLEO and the correct copies to BATFE.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How would CLEO know to send BATFE any information that could possibly make me ineligible before the BATFE approved my Form 4 if I sent the CLEO copies to BATFE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Isn't what you wrote above and isn't what my response was directed at:
The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
Get your story straight.

Not only is your reading faulty, so is your memory.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The form being sent to the CLEO is to inform them that you are sending in an application for the stamp, and this is their opportunity to inform BATFE if they have any knowledge that would be used to deny your application.

In rare instances the local CLEO might have info on someone that has not been reported to the FBI.

Before 41F, my CLEO always ran a local background check on me before he signed my forms; I imagine he does the same now when he gets his copy. I just don't have to be there to see or wait on it.

ETA. The CLEO will know what to do when (s)he reads the instructions as well

from form1
This form provides notification of the applicant's intent to make and register a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. No action on your part is required. However, should you have information that may disqualify this person from making or possessing a firearm, please contact the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500 or [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get your story straight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
Get your story straight.

But it is...

Context can be your friend (or in this case, your enemy). I’ll quote it again, include the post to which I was responding, and even highlight the pertinent parts.

Quoted:
Quoted:

*EDIT*
That’s what he said. BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO. The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?
The two statements are (given proper context on the one that includes the phrase “the only negative”) basically identical in meaning.

If you can’t understand basic English, that’s on you, not me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Well once again, I see one of these subjects that we have little control over right now has got gun owners and supporters bickering with each other again!

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But it is...

Context can be your friend (or in this case, your enemy). I’ll quote it again, include the post to which I was responding, and even highlight the pertinent parts.

The two statements are (given proper context on the one that includes the phrase “the only negative”) basically identical in meaning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get your story straight.

But it is...

Quoted:
Quoted:

*EDIT*

For fucks sake.
1. I asked if you or your dealer have read the instructions. Obviously you have not or you wouldn't be posting this embarrassingly silly thread.

2. You stated "BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO." That's simply wrong. ATF doesn't send ANY copy marked approved or denied to your CLEO.
-ATF1 is kept by ATF if you are approved.
-ATF2 will be returned to the transferor (your dealer) whether approved or disapproved.
-The CLEO copy that you/your dealer was supposed to send your CLEO doesn't even have a place to mark approved/disapproved. Do you understand why? BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SEND IT TO YOUR CLEO at the same time you submit ATF1 & ATF2 to the NFA Branch.

3.You asked "The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?". For fucks sake man, how do you think any LE agency notifies ATF or the FBI of information regarding criminal activity? Being that you/your dealer included your CLEO copy, it's possible for the examiner to contact your CLEO...….THAT'S how your CLEO "could alert ATF...".

4. The fact that YOU/YOUR DEALER DIDN'T READ OR FOLLOW THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS is cause for your Form 4 to be returned. Depending on how nitpicky the examiner is that day determines how much leeway they give you. I have had a Silencer Shop Form 4 returned for correction because the zip code was one digit off. That transferee had submitted two Form 4's prepared identically, but each form went to two different examiners.....one examiner corrected the "3" to a "2" and stamped the form approved, the other examiner sent it back to me for correction. That's the way they roll.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For fucks sake.
1. I asked if you or your dealer have read the instructions. Obviously you have not or you wouldn't be posting this embarrassingly silly thread.

2. You stated "BATFE will return the copy marked “approved” or “denied” either directly to me or to the CLEO." That's simply wrong. ATF doesn't send ANY copy marked approved or denied to your CLEO.
-ATF2 will be returned to the transferor (your dealer) whether approved or disapproved.
-The CLEO copy that you/your dealer was supposed to send your CLEO doesn't even have a place to mark approved/disapproved. Do you understand why? BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SEND IT TO YOUR CLEO at the same time you submit ATF1 & ATF2 to the NFA Branch.

3.You asked "The only negative I can see is how would CLEO be able to alert BATFE if there was a reason I should be  denied (there isn’t) before I’m approved?". For fucks sake man, how do you think any LE agency notifies ATF or the FBI of information regarding criminal activity? Being that you/your dealer included your CLEO copy, it's possible for the examiner to contact your CLEO...….THAT'S how your CLEO "could alert ATF...".

4. The fact that YOU/YOUR DEALER DIDN'T READ OR FOLLOW THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS is cause for your Form 4 to be returned. Depending on how nitpicky the examiner is that day determines how much leeway they give you. I have had a Silencer Shop Form 4 returned for correction because the zip code was one digit off. That transferee had submitted two Form 4's prepared identically, but each form went to two different examiners.....one examiner corrected the "3" to a "2" and stamped the form approved, the other examiner sent it back to me for correction. That's the way they roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get your story straight.

But it is...

Quoted:
Quoted:

*EDIT*

For fucks sake.

For fuck’s same indeed.

1. I did. The guy insisted, so I asked others. Other people managed to answer without acting like douchebags...
A. No, I didnt say that. The dealer did.
B. No fucking kidding? Why didn’t you just say so instead of acting as you have? Other folks managed it.
3. I even underlined and bolded the key word for you, but you still are unable to understand.
4. I doubt it will be returned as things were properly filled out (thanks to the handy guide on this forum).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top