Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 5:39:38 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a 22 rifle, deciding between bolt action or a 10/22.  Gun will be scoped and silenced.

Fondled a CA Ranger in my LGS today and it had a few nice features.  Threaded barrel, loved the stock/grip ergos, takes ruger mags.  I liked it quite a bit in the moment.

I come home and did a minute worth of research and appears they have had QC issues (accuracy not as they claim, ejection problems, action moving in the stock).

Anyone have real world experience recently?  Maybe they've hashed out the issues since these older posts a couple years ago?  Full-on avoid them?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
My neighbor has one. IMO it's a bit of a mixed bag. The build quality seems low with the flimsy stock and the jiggly bolt handle but accuracy seems pretty good. Reliability has not been an issue. We shoot together a lot and use it and my 457 to cull the starlings that swarm on his crops mid to late summer. We can easily shoot hundreds over a weekend and we both have a pretty high hit rate at ranges from 75-150 yards, mainly shooting CCI SV. We have not grouped it with match ammo but it's really not meant to be a match rifle. It's super light and great to haul around the woods. If you're looking for a hunting rifle I think it would be a good choice, for a target rifle look elsewhere
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My neighbor has one. IMO it's a bit of a mixed bag. The build quality seems low with the flimsy stock and the jiggly bolt handle but accuracy seems pretty good. Reliability has not been an issue. We shoot together a lot and use it and my 457 to cull the starlings that swarm on his crops mid to late summer. We can easily shoot hundreds over a weekend and we both have a pretty high hit rate at ranges from 75-150 yards, mainly shooting CCI SV. We have not grouped it with match ammo but it's really not meant to be a match rifle. It's super light and great to haul around the woods. If you're looking for a hunting rifle I think it would be a good choice, for a target rifle look elsewhere
View Quote

thanks for the feedback.  This would mainly be a plinking/hunting gun.  And the starling hunting sounds like fun, lots of shooting!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you can get some feedback on rimfirecentral.com if you haven't already. There's a thread on this gun. I was interested in the rifle, but am not buying anything right now. I hope there are some nice bolt action options that work and take 10/22 mags when I'm ready to buy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has run a 100%. I like it very much. My only complaint is that the bolt handle does jiggle a little. I replaced the knob with a carbon fiber knob. It's pretty accurate with just any .22's, but haven't tried any match stuff. It likes CCI Quiet 22's @ 710 fps. Got a DA Mask coming for it. Good squirrel/beer can blaster. I like that's it's lightweight. I'd probably look at something else if I was into match type stuff.

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine has run a 100%. I like it very much. My only complaint is that the bolt handle does jiggle a little. I replaced the knob with a carbon fiber knob. It's pretty accurate with just any .22's, but haven't tried any match stuff. It likes CCI Quiet 22's @ 710 fps. Got a DA Mask coming for it. Good squirrel/beer can blaster. I like that's it's lightweight. I'd probably look at something else if I was into match type stuff.

https://i.ibb.co/4V8B0fB/20220524-141113.jpg

View Quote

Late to reply here, I've been preoccupied at work and forgot to check in on this.

Thanks for this.  Use will be exactly what you described, mostly squirrels and fun time.  And it'll be mated with my Mask as well!

as far as you know any fix for the bolt handle jiggle?  other forums had people saying they wouldn't eject spent shells but that seems to be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Late to reply here, I've been preoccupied at work and forgot to check in on this.

Thanks for this.  Use will be exactly what you described, mostly squirrels and fun time.  And it'll be mated with my Mask as well!

as far as you know any fix for the bolt handle jiggle?  other forums had people saying they wouldn't eject spent shells but that seems to be hit or miss.
View Quote

Mine also has the bolt handle jiggle. Doesn’t bug me very much, but it might someone that pays the full retail for one. Luckily for you, your procrastination has paid off. They are running a special with a $250 rebate when you buy a Ranger. My LGS had one marked $729.99. So I’m all in for less than $500. For that money, I’m very happy with it. Only had it out once but it shot mini mags pretty good and SK long range match really good. I put a 1-4 on top and it will have a mask permanently on the end of it. For a super light, mostly accurate rifle,I think it fits the bill quite nicely.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mine also has the bolt handle jiggle. Doesn’t bug me very much, but it might someone that pays the full retail for one. Luckily for you, your procrastination has paid off. They are running a special with a $250 rebate when you buy a Ranger. My LGS had one marked $729.99. So I’m all in for less than $500. For that money, I’m very happy with it. Only had it out once but it shot mini mags pretty good and SK long range match really good. I put a 1-4 on top and it will have a mask permanently on the end of it. For a super light, mostly accurate rifle,I think it fits the bill quite nicely.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/p12sgo.jpg
View Quote

Damn that's really tempting
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Christensen Arms has a $250 consumer rebate on Rangers the entire month of June.  If you buy a Ranger and a Christensen Arms centerfire the rebate is $415.  Its a super good deal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Went out this morning and shot it for groups. Threw one of my favorite el cheap o Cabelas Covenant scopes on top. This one is 4-16. These were all shot at just 25 yards, but still pretty decent. After shooting the rifle a bit more, that bolt handle sucks dick. Again, if I had paid the $800 normal price, I’d be pretty heated. I’m willing to suck it up for under 500. The 1-4x will get stuck back on top, just wanted to see how good it would shoot with some magnification and some better ammo. It did good with SK Long Range Match but better more consistently with Midas +. Anyways, in case anyone is still on the fence, some more info for you. Pic seems blurry, but you get idea.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking for a rifle host for my Oculus.
Went out to buy a Savage MK2 and wound up getting the Christensen with a Crossfire scope.
Threw on a spare 1907 style sling but still need to look into a bi-pod.

The rebate was what sold me. Didn't know about the ejection issues. (And they didn't happen to mention it )
Haven't shot it yet but here's hoping.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was looking for a rifle host for my Oculus.
Went out to buy a Savage MK2 and wound up getting the Christensen with a Crossfire scope.
Threw on a spare 1907 style sling but still need to look into a bi-pod.

The rebate was what sold me. Didn't know about the ejection issues. (And they didn't happen to mention it )
Haven't shot it yet but here's hoping.

View Quote

I think you'll be ok. My neighbor's doesn't have a problem ejecting and we shoot it a ton.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The bipod they sell on their website is a pretty slick lightweight unit. It attaches with a magnet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top